Page 13 of 36 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: Ladies... How do you lose the thighs?!? page 13

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by chima_p View Post
    My god. I think the biggest reason that women don't get the results they want is because they make themselves believe that running after my 3 yr old, lifting groceries and Barre or yoga classes are exercise. Look at any of the women here that have had the best success and you will find someone who has hit the iron. Not iron that is coated in pink and baby blue polypropylene either. If you can do it more than 20 min it's not exercise (LHT!). It's called "play" if you like it and "work" if you don't.
    +1 And I have done LOTS of ballet, jazz and modern classes. I definitely don't classify barre work as LHT, but if it works for you, that's great!

hazyjane is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    +1 And I have done LOTS of ballet, jazz and modern classes. I definitely don't classify barre work as LHT, but if it works for you, that's great!
    I should be more specific- when I say "barre", I mean Bar Method/Barre 3/Pure Barre, which are sustained, isometric and bodyweight work that, although somewhat based on certain dance movements, is not the same thing as dance classes. It's more intense and, depending on the method, uses weights in addition to bodyweight. Your muscles absolutely burn and shake and your heart pounds.

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hazyjane View Post
    I should be more specific- when I say "barre", I mean Bar Method/Barre 3/Pure Barre, which are sustained, isometric and bodyweight work that, although somewhat based on certain dance movements, is not the same thing as dance classes. It's more intense and, depending on the method, uses weights in addition to bodyweight. Your muscles absolutely burn and shake and your heart pounds.
    OK! Never done it, so I'll have to take your word for it!

TigerLily is offline Senior Member
    I've also taken lots of dance classes over the years (flamenco, middle eastern, hip hop, Tahitian), so I know what coming out of dance class feels like and how my body feels the next day. I was shaking so much at both ends in that class yesterday that I thought a couple of times I was going to fall. I'm not sure what exactly happened afterwards, but I was so chilled and shivering that I put on a big sweater and my space heater at my desk; maybe I was a little in shock (?). This is WAY more hardcore than any mamby-pamby dance class. All I can say is those women in that class have the arms I've always wanted and have never had. 42 years old seems like a good time to finally attain them.
    "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

chima_p is offline Senior Member
    Haha, thanks for proving my point.

Better than sitting on the couch watching 2 and a half men I suppose.

RitaRose is offline Senior Member

Sorry, but I don't get what you're trying to say.

That bodyweight workouts are pointless?
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

Um, what?

chima_p is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RitaRose View Post
    Sorry, but I don't get what you're trying to say.

That bodyweight workouts are pointless?
    Depending on context, usually. There are easier ways to get twice the results in a quater of the time but most women have a misconception they are going to bulk in the process.

Depending on context, usually. There are easier ways to get twice the results in a quater of the time but most women have a misconception they are going to bulk in the process.
    Many women do, but I don't. Before I was doing this, I was doing kettlebells and I def. got fast results with minimal time and effort. I still do some kettlebell training, but I like isometric workouts because they're very efficient and give a different sort of definition (less round looking) than what I was doing before, and they target muscles not targeted as efficiently by other workouts (like the triceps, for example).

Are you a guy, perchance?

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Many women do, but I don't. Before I was doing this, I was doing kettlebells and I def. got fast results with minimal time and effort. I still do some kettlebell training, but I like isometric workouts because they're very efficient and give a different sort of definition (less round looking) than what I was doing before, and they target muscles not targeted as efficiently by other workouts (like the triceps, for example).

Are you a guy, perchance?
    Me too. I have what would usually be considered a Man Job, and part of it is vaulting over walls, lifting iron gates and the like. I'm one of those people that tells women they're not going to bulk up unless they get on steroids.

I'm thinking you're right. It's a guy that believes we all work out with pink 1 pound dumbells.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

Page 13 of 36 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast