Thread: New, nervous but excited! page

DancinJess is offline Junior Member

New, nervous but excited!

Primal Fuel
    Hey all-

I'm definitely new to the primal lifestyle having had a very grain-reliant diet for most of my life. I'm nervous, but excited to see the changes. I've lost about 20lbs over the last year (after gaining 40 when I started a sedentary job about 4 years ago). I'm excited to take off the last 20 and really get into the best shape of my life! Any tips/ words of advice definitely appreciated .

Griffin is offline Senior Member
    Welcome aboard - you'll love it. Just remember to take it one day at a time and enjoy the process. It isn't so much about losing weight but more about being healthier. You will lose weight but you'll feel great doing it.
    There are two wolves fighting within a man's heart, one is Love, the other is Hate. The one that wins is the one you feed.

My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world. - Jack Layton

The Primal Adventures of Griffin - Huzzah!

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Griffin View Post
    Welcome aboard - you'll love it. Just remember to take it one day at a time and enjoy the process. It isn't so much about losing weight but more about being healthier. You will lose weight but you'll feel great doing it.
    +1
    Welcome Jess! Tell us more about yourself. We would love to help you.
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

thanks to both of you!

Hedonist- you asked for more info. I have celiac disease, which is actually how I found out about the primal lifestyle as it's grain free. I was a longtime vegetarian before I was diagnosed. I'm still getting used to eating meat more regularly- it's definitely a mental and physical adjustment!

I'm training to run a 5k on Oct 9 but I am definitely excited to learn more about weight training. I've been doing a fair amount of body weight strength exercises, but it seems like a lot of people on here lift really heavy!

Hope this was helpful .

Solldara is offline Senior Member
    Welcome

My best advice is buy the book and read it from cover to cover.

The forums tend to be full of people trying to help but perhaps have extreme points of view and the biggest benefit for me from this way of living is that its easy and stress free which is not the impression you generally get just from reading the posts.

Diet wise - eat as much meat, fish, eggs, berries and low starch veg as you like and don't worry about weight loss etc for the first 3 weeks which will give your body time to adjust, you're energy levels will have gone back to normal and you'll have developed a routine so you can then tweek from there to suit you and your weight-loss goal. Personally as you've probably noticed I'd avoid processed foods, grains, legumes, dairy, nuts etc till you've been on it a while. When you're in the tweek stage you can always introduce dairy and nuts back in if they suit you.
    1st June 11 to 30st Aug 11 - 36lb removed in 13 weeks
    Messed about on and off for the rest of the year

June 2012 - Had the practice - now time to do it for real

My best advice is buy the book and read it from cover to cover.

The forums tend to be full of people trying to help but perhaps have extreme points of view and the biggest benefit for me from this way of living is that its easy and stress free which is not the impression you generally get just from reading the posts.
    Well said Solldara!
    There are two wolves fighting within a man's heart, one is Love, the other is Hate. The one that wins is the one you feed.

My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world. - Jack Layton

Sanctus Real is offline Senior Member
    Other authors with their own version of paleo: Robb Wolf, Kurt Harris, Loren Cordain, Sarah Fragoso, and that's all I can think of at the moment, but I'm sure my list is incomplete. Anyway, check everyone's version out. They are all similar, but they also all have slight differences. Plus, some authors are better at explaining the science behind eating like this, if that's your gig. Anyway, get as much information as you can about the hows and the whys of doing this, which will help you when the inevitable temptation comes your way.

As a former vegetarian myself, I got a real kick out of Robb Wolf's account in The Paleo Solution of being a vegetarian and how it made him feel physically. You might enjoy that, too.
    Motherhood: When changing from pj pants to yoga pants qualifies as 'getting dressed'.

Mike in Virginia is offline Senior Member
    Welcome and best of luck to you.

You said that you are still getting used to eating meat regularly...well, don't forget fish. Nice dose of omega-3s, and an almost endless variety of flavors.
    Live your life and love your life. It's the only one you get.

Quote Originally Posted by Sanctus Real View Post
    Other authors with their own version of paleo: Robb Wolf, Kurt Harris, Loren Cordain, Sarah Fragoso, and that's all I can think of at the moment, but I'm sure my list is incomplete. Anyway, check everyone's version out. They are all similar, but they also all have slight differences. Plus, some authors are better at explaining the science behind eating like this, if that's your gig. Anyway, get as much information as you can about the hows and the whys of doing this, which will help you when the inevitable temptation comes your way.

As a former vegetarian myself, I got a real kick out of Robb Wolf's account in The Paleo Solution of being a vegetarian and how it made him feel physically. You might enjoy that, too.
    Thanks so much Sanctus! I'll definitely check out the Robb Wolf story. I have to say, I've had so much more energy in the past few days than I have had in a long time- I didn't even realize I was dragging before! Feeling great .

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    +1 for Robb Wolf's book. I lol'd quite a few times while reading that one!