Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Squat Down - But how far down?? page

elliottsmith is offline Senior Member

Squat Down - But how far down??

Shop Now
    When doing the squat exercise do I want my upper legs to be parallel with the floor or my arse to pretty much touch my heels before I drive back upto the standing position?

Arse to heels is best is it not, because then I'm getting full range of motion but will this have a negative effect on my knees?

Al_Kavadlo is offline Senior Member
    As low as you can without pain or sacrificing form. Check out this article I wrote about squats.

By the way, I am a big Elliott Smith fan myself. (Unless your screenname is your real name and not a reference to the late, great singer songwriter.)
    "In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they couldn't be more different."

"You can have anything you want, but you can't have everything you want."

My blog: http://www.AlKavadlo.com

elliottsmith is offline Senior Member
    Thanks for the swift reply. I can go right down without any pain but the weight has to be less than going parallel with the legs to the floor. So will stick at this and see how things progress.

Elliott-Smith is my surname, not a reference to the singer/songwriter.

IcarianVX is offline Senior Member
    The ass-to-grass thing will definitely build bigger legs and more defined legs (if that makes sense). However, to get the benefits of hormonal release and posterior chain strengthening, parallel works fine since, as you said, you can do heavier weights that way. It's more of a choice rather than one thing being better than another. Depends on your goals.
    I only go to parallel because I want to use heavier weights and want explosive power in my legs, for instance.
    People too weak to follow their own dreams will always try to discourage others.

Abu Reena is offline Senior Member
    I think to really benefit, you go slightly below parallel to activate the posterior chain and take the pressure off the knees.

Bill2380 is offline Junior Member
    If you get below parallel with your toes pointed outward at about a 45 and press your knees out as you descend you'll get to a point where there's a rebound effect....that's the bottom and sweet spot for me.

MikeEnRegalia is offline Senior Member
    Watch yourself sideways in a mirror as you go down - at some point your spine will start to round, and that's the point beyond you don't want to go with reasonable weight on your shoulders. That's according to Bill De Simone - so if anyone wants to accuse me of making this up, please take it up with Bill instead.

BTW: Instead of loading insane amounts of weights on my shoulders, I prefer doing overhead squats with light weights, and with those I go down well beyond parallel.

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeEnRegalia View Post
    BTW: Instead of loading insane amounts of weights on my shoulders, I prefer doing overhead squats with light weights, and with those I go down well beyond parallel.
    I've tried to do OHS and I have a hard time getting to parallel, let alone below. (I can go ATG on regular barbell front and back squats) Any tips? I'd love to be able to do these and appreciate any advice.

Abu Reena is offline Senior Member
    @Yodiewan: Practice with some PVC pipe and get the form down. It's a bitch and a half. I'd rather throw on heavy weight onto my back than do OHS.

MikeEnRegalia is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by yodiewan View Post
    I've tried to do OHS and I have a hard time getting to parallel, let alone below. (I can go ATG on regular barbell front and back squats) Any tips? I'd love to be able to do these and appreciate any advice.
    Just use a really light weight - ideally just a broom or any other long stick. You need to lock out the elbows and really bring the arms back. When I tried it first I also struggled to even reach parallel while keeping the arms locked out behind, but I made quick progress. When you add weight: Be prepared to drop the barbell in front of you when you lose balance - trying to hold on to it and to put it down safely will put your wrists in danger.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast