Thread: Obligatory forum Introduce yourself thread page 606

sammy is offline Junior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Your location:

Age (If you want): 33 years old

How Primal are you: very green newbie

Do you consume dairy: heck yeah!

Do you drink coffee or tea: no, yuck!

Motivator for switching to Primal: saw friend losin' weight, feelin' great!

Favorite exercise: well, I'm gonna keep my favorite exercise between me and my girl, but my 2nd favorite exercise is running

Favorite Primal food: steak
    Best part about being Primal: steak
    Worst part about being Primal: I'm gonna be missin' some carbs

fikile is offline Junior Member
    I'm sorry, I have posted in here before & know this is not the right place to post now. Can someone give me a link to where I can post about a gallbladder polyp that's come as a result of a parasite from South Africa (toxoplasmosis) + subsequent meds. I am a very low tech person but have eaten paleo-like for much of my adult life.

Zoe (Zog) is offline Junior Member
    Your location: Belfast, Northern Ireland

Age (If you want): In 40's

How Primal are you: Only just started, 2 weeks under my belt, so not very but trying really hard

Do you consume dairy: Some butter and cheese, but have been non dairy in the past

Do you drink coffee or tea: Coffee and herbal tea

Motivator for switching to Primal: Years of not being well / happy

Favorite exercise: Sorry but Les Mills Body Combat

Favorite Primal food: Meat

Best part about being Primal: I think the philosophy just sits well with me

Worst part about being Primal: It is more complicated than I thought & try getting 15 mins of sun a day in Northern Ireland
    Last edited by Zoe (Zog); 05-13-2014 at 06:52 AM.

ponderknot is offline Junior Member
    Hey, everyone!

The Questions:
    Your location: Lake Ridge, VA
    Age (If you want): 48
    How Primal are you: I'd guess a 6 on a scale of 1-10. But I might change that as I learn more.
    Do you consume dairy: A little cheese for flavor on other dishes, but not all that much.
    Do you drink coffee or tea: oh yes. At least one of each per day.
    Motivator for switching to Primal: blood numbers not quiet where they need to be.
    Favorite exercise: mountain biking, started back in the mid 80's, stopped in the mid 90's and restarted about a year ago.
    Favorite Primal food: grass feed beef steak on the grill, no seasoning and no shoes.
    Best part about being Primal: not feeling hungry all the time.
    Worst part about being Primal: nothing really comes to mind.

---
    Walt

Neanderdan is offline Junior Member
    Your location: Upstate Ny

Age (If you want):30

How Primal are you: Just started a week ago. But super psyched and loving it so far

Do you consume dairy: A bit of cheese in some things but weening my way off of it

Do you drink coffee or tea: coffee not ready to give it up

Motivator for switching to Primal: lose fat,balance my energy, and from the research it's the optimal way to live

Favorite exercise: weighted carries

Favorite Primal food: steak and butter

Best part about being Primal: delicious food

Worst part about being Primal: explaining it to people

K'dash is offline Junior Member

How primal are you: I am already adapting, read the total 21 body transformation, Primal blueprint will start the challenge this Monday also would like some info from members
    Do you drink coffee/tea: Never liked coffee, drink tea, black tea my favorite without sugar
    Dairy: just some grated cheese in my breakfast omelette
    Motivator: birthday resolution want to look good and do stuff that have always refrained from doing because did not look good enough (in my eyes like going to the beach), want 6 packs (firstly) and gain muscle (don't we all...)
    Favorite exercise: Squat
    Favorite primal food: chicken breast
    Best part about being primal from the little I have tried , the hunger intervals were way longer before I would eat and get hungry like 30 to 45 mins later and I would also crave sugar a lot(partly my fault, poor choice of food)
    Worst part about being primal: dealing with the constant"experts" aka your friends that always want to make it look like this is the wrong way etc
    Everyone's a critic...
    Last edited by K'dash; 05-16-2014 at 03:14 PM. Reason: added info

Char is offline Junior Member

Cool Accidentally Primal-ish

I am a veteran living in Baltimore. I've been 90 for the past several years when while buying my ice cream birthday cake my 4 year old daughter told this grandmotherly type woman that it was my birthday and I was 90!!! I must say that I look durn good for my age and I am now getting even better!!!

I am growing increasingly primal which is fairly easy because I grew up on a farm in which my parents insisted on what we'd now term organic, hormone-free, grass-fed, pesticide-free produce and meat (beef, pork, milk & chicken). I thought everybody lived like I did,....

Last autumn while dealing with car issues, I took up walking 3.2 miles a few times every week and consuming hard boiled eggs and yams. I lost a few inches on my waist---although the scale stayed consistent. Every week I am eliminating another category at least temporarily.

I came about these changes when I considered my nephew who has celiac issues and wondered how his life had changed. I put myself in his shoes. Eliminating glutens was easy. Then, I discovered MDA.

Sugar was a little more of a challenge only because of my Starbucks habit but now, it's fine too. I simply forgot to put my usual six packs into the cup and was shocked to realize that I liked the coffee as long as I have plenty of cream in it. My next goal is to at least temporarily remove all dairy---which is only part of my coffee habit already.

I do consume a lot of tea throughout the day since I really enjoy sipping something warm. Teavana has some great selections.

My true motivation is that I want to be happier with myself so that I can be a fantastic role model for my daughter. I've already got a great life: I am "fully retired" due to my PTSD and I adopted a retired racehorse for my personal equine therapy. I am choosing to live in the present so while I wear a hijab (head scarf), I can laugh about my past life of adventure: Harleys, Army Rugby, Ice climbing, Manuel Noriega's kindness, etc. and know that this is the preview for my current life. I simply love adventures and regaining my health is my latest endeavor. I'll succeed because retreating into my past just isn't an option since I feel bloated almost immediately whenever I consume glutens & sugar. I never had substance issues because even sipping alcohol felt like a knife being stuck and twisted between my shoulder blades.

My favorite exercise is riding/training my horse. There are trails and I plan to walk with him on them too. I also go to a women's gym for cardio and if they implement pilates/yoga in early sessions then I am also taking those classes at least once every week. I'd like to expand my horizon outside of weight-lifting although I put on muscle easily too so this will be fun transforming myself.

I have always eaten pretty simple meals. The greatest thing about being primal is that I dropped the guilt that went with consuming anything beyond water. I always felt bloated immediately so I thought that all food was my enemy. When I cut out the glutens and consumed more beef, I discovered that I wasn't anxiously grazing all day but rather switched over to one meal in the evenings in preparation for Ramadan. I drink fluids all day, have a mid-afternoon snack of nuts (nuts.com) and then consume some large-arse salad with beef/bison. I use a really huge bowl so there's enough salad for a few days in there. This opened me up to frequenting the local farmer's market and then on this website I discovered a grass-fed halal meat website (Norwich Meadows Meat) that can ship to me FedEx. Whole Foods is awesome also for regular stuff.

The greatest thing is that I am being kinder to myself. Weekly I get acupuncture, I stay in VA therapy and I literally created a healthier niche for my family and me. My self-respect is increasing and I am learning how to ask for certain considerations. For instance, immigration has monthly surprise visits to our house which reallly triggers my PTSD for a few days. My VA therapist wrote a memo asking for some leeway on behalf of my profile and,....change is underway.

I've asked members of Congress to act on behalf of my health without resolution but this one VA memo changed a major life issue for us. Dealing with immigration is stressful with twice monthly office visits, monthly unscheduled home visits (and they can walk anywhere in your house), monthly unscheduled phone calls in which my husband has three minutes to return the call and it's voice-sensitive activated. Plus, a month prior to any court date he has a monitor on his ankle which must be recharged every 8-10 hours and buzzes if you get anywhere close to something like a prison. It's embarrassing for him to go to the gym because he looks like a criminal whereas in reality he saved my life from a stalker ex.

I don't think there are any shortcomings to being primal for me. My husband is Middle Eastern so he continues with a more Mediterranean diet. We normally consume fruit/vegetables for the evening meal anyway. My 11 year old daughter announced to me that she is vegan and I calmly asked her to help me understand her new dietary rules so that I could assist her on her own life journey. I feel it's important to check off the proverbial life blocks of experience rather than dictate my version of proper action (Within reason, because nobody in my home is putting a fork in a light socket!) I know that when they see the results in a few months that they'll be inspired to follow suit.

Life is good and it's getting even better! I was pleasantly astounded that there is a whole community established following these basic principles. It's really a simple way to live and I am so grateful that I have arrived.

Happiness is a choice.

kirdenlynx is offline Junior Member
    Hello everyone, My name is Jacob. I have just recently discovered my inner Grok and he decided to bash the CW right out of my head. I'm loving all of the information I am finding and looking forward to learning as much as possible. Here are the answers to the questions in the first post:

Your location:
    Middle Georgia

Age (If you want):

How Primal are you:
    Just begining. Taking a quick transition period to get rid of my last few yogurts, wraps, vegemite, and bran. Gave myself till 5/23 to have them gone or trashed.

Do you consume dairy:
    I currently consume yogurt for the next three days. I have three yogurt cups left and I can't bring myself to toss food due to finances.

Do you drink coffee or tea:
    I drink mostly water. However, until the carb blues are gone I have 1-2 small (4oz) cups of black coffee while at work. I work 3 days a week so 3-6 cups of black coffee per week.

Motivator for switching to Primal:
    I have been stuck in a slump for a very long time. I have always been over weight. My all time best weight was 6' at 170 in high school, so still chubby. My largest was 6' at 296 nine months ago. I have reached a brick wall at 250 using CW and the vemma "carb cycle" diet, but it's not for me. I never can understand why I'm forcing down a powder instead of eating good food. The yoyo of eating low carb two days then getting a huge rush on the high carb day just to fall back down makes no sense for me.

Favorite exercise:
    I enjoy nature and hiking, but living in the city I have few options for that. My favorite excercise that I have available would be walking around my neighborhood, but even that is limited due to local restrictions.

Favorite Primal food:
    I love chicken. Any and all kinds of chicken have always been my favorites. I also love a decently marbled sirloin, but I'm still trying to find a group to go in on buying a mixed quarter for my first true grass-fed experience.

Best part about being Primal:
    The best part for me at this time is that I can actually understand and trust this logic. This way of life makes sense and it is just that, a real way. Living with lower stress, more activity, more sleep, and most of all better health are things that have always eluded me and I can't wait to reap the benefits from living Primal.

Worst part about being Primal:
    So far the hardest part for me is finding enjoyable ways to stay active in a primal way. My job requires 40-44 hours in a three day period each week and is a desk job, so I have to figure out a way to stay active and balanced on those days as well as finding places to hike/lift/and sprint that isn't some boring gym. I also need to figure out what I can do for those intense "sprint" moments when I son't have the space to actually sprint. Rope jump, plyometrics, cardio heavy bag session? Are any of those viable and how often per week? I still have a large amount of research to complete.

Thanks for reading if you made it all the way through. I hope you all have a wonderful day and look forward to watching my little Grok grow into the cave man he wants to be.

Char is offline Junior Member
    Welcome Jacob! You are the only person I know who consumes vegemite,....seriously I had to check to see if you're from Australia. Please, tell me how you got hooked up with the stuff because it takes a strong personality to consume it.

Char

kirdenlynx is offline Junior Member
    Well, that is an interesting story. My hobby is old Datsuns and I met a person on there who is from Australia. I have always wanted to try vegemite (I use marmite in my 24 hour chili) but never had the chance. Anyway, he was gathering Datsun badges to create reproductions, so I traded him the two B210 badges from my sedan for 2 tubes of vegemite.

The really interesting part was that he sent the tubes in a pipe parcel sealed with duct tape. It looked like a large pipe bomb and had a flag on the pipe from AUS and US customs "inspected for ordinance." We all got a laugh out of that one. If they had tried the stuff they would have probably arrested me for importing volatile substances :P

I used to use vegemite with hard cheese, egg sandwiches, and soup base. I'm sad to lose the unique taste, but I'm sure I'll get over it. May keep a tube around to pai with eggs every once in a while. It has become a favorite comfort food/taste for me.