Results 5,691 to 5,700 of 6000

Thread: Obligatory forum Introduce yourself thread page 570

I_EAT_COWS is offline Member

So far, so GREAT!

Shop Now
    Your location: Washington, DC

Age (If you want): Early 30’s

How Primal are you: 90%+

Do you consume dairy: (real) butter, occasional healthy cheese, cream in my decaf

Do you drink coffee or tea: decaf coffee

Motivator for switching to Primal: I’ve encountered/found/learned many of the things Mark suggests over the years, and they have all improved my life some. After reading the Primal Blueprint, I feel like it’s time to tie it all together and be the healthiest, happiest me I can be!

Favorite exercise: Barbell Deadlift (with turkish getup a close second)

Favorite Primal food: See my username.

Best part about being Primal: My health and mood have improved! Also, see my username.

Worst part about being Primal: Honestly, seeing all the sick people killing themselves and leading sad painful lives, and not being able to help them. For so many people, they simply won’t stop trusting conventional wisdom and doctor’s advice.

Hi, everyone! Props to all of you who are improving yourselves and setting such fine examples

I’ve been discovering many of the things Mark recommends over the last several years. My 20’s (from active work to desk job – sound familiar?) were a downward spiral towards being unhealthy and overweight (5’10” 200lbs of not-so-skinny-fat). I had a stint of cardio that I burned out on, then eventually started powerlifting and kettlebell workouts for strength. Fortunately I’ve stuck with that and it’s helped my body composition a lot – but I never did get to a place where I felt and looked ABSOLUTELY GREAT. Sure having more muscle and less fat will make you look and feel better, but I never lost my ‘wheat belly’, general look of softness, or my ever-present fatigue.

I’ve been on a recent crusade to fix my sleep and energy levels. After getting treated for low thyroid and sleep apnea, then obsessing about how to get good sleep and compensate for my extreme night owl tendencies (while working a early morning day job), I’ve come a long way and enabled myself to do some good things in my life over the last few years.

I can’t remember what it was that got me more curious about the paleo diet, but I went looking for literature and stumbled across the primal blueprint on Amazon – found my way to his website and downloaded the audiobook, then listened to it at 2x speed and finished it in two days of commuting. It tied so many things together, and jived with my recent reading (and love) of Desmond Morris’s ‘The Human Zoo’, and made SO MUCH SENSE, that I was hooked and did a lot more research and immediately started living as primal as I could.

Today is day 10 going primal. So far, it's AWESOME:

- My chronic hayfever/allergy sinus swelling has basically gone (I breathed through BOTH nostrils last night! – Vitamin C megadoses helped but didn’t cure...).

- My mood has become more confident and calm.

- I’ve had more success with my methods of controlling my circadian rhythym (orange glasses in the evening, melatonin 5-7 hrs before spontaneous sleep time, sleeping in the dark, dawn simulation, etc..)

- My bowel function has improved.

- The bumps I've always had on my upper arms have significantly improved.

- Intermittent fasting is much easier and more enjoyable.

I’m a pretty muscular 205 lbs (still 5’10”), and I’m looking forward to losing 10+ lbs and keeping it off – maybe some before/after pics will be coming in a month or two... Either way, 10 days has been enough to convince me that we're all on to something great here

Thanks to Mark and everyone who’s shared!!
    Randy (I_EAT_COWS)
    Last edited by I_EAT_COWS; 11-15-2013 at 11:00 AM.

PrimalJasper is offline Junior Member
    I have been running Primal for about three years now (Late 2010 / Early 2011) with varying degrees of "hardcorness" but recently, since a friends wedding about three months ago, I have been appaling and want to get back into it. As I am struggling I thought I would start fresh hence this...

Your location: Unted Kingdom

Age (If you want): 34

How Primal are you: 85-95% normally, a shamefull 40-55% at this moment.

Do you consume dairy: Yes, real butter - full milk with Kefir and occasion some cheese with an om'let!

Do you drink coffee or tea: Both, decaff though.

Motivator for switching to Primal: Realising that my depression wasn't a load of old horsesh#t related to modern living but was actually a chemical deficiency that I needed to redress in order to function correctly.

Favorite exercise: Three really, walking (away from civilisation!), climbing trees and hitting things with a sledgehammer.

Favorite Primal food: Eggs, Onions, Steak and brussel sprouts - not always together but sometimes.

Best part about being Primal: I am master of my depression not the other way round anymore, great community and it just makes sense.

Worst part about being Primal: Hard to keep it up with so many parties all the time - rightly or wrongly I love alcohol - so many varieties and flavours and it tickles too! Seriously though - My wife and I have three different "good friend" bases and theres always something going on in one of them and nearly always occasion to drink at the weekend.
    Last edited by PrimalJasper; 11-18-2013 at 05:45 AM. Reason: I didn't make the Dairy question <b>bold</b>!

I_EAT_COWS is offline Member
    Hi AussieDave! Sounds like you’ve done your homework – how has your success been on your 50/30/20 diet?

Mutton – great to hear you’re getting some benefits already. I agree that margarine and wholegrain anything were never that tasty to begin with…

Hi Finra, so sorry to hear about your ex-boyfriend. I hope he’s found and returns home safely! Good work keeping motivated and working towards a diet that works for you!

Hi PrimalJasper – glad to hear you’re able to take control of your depression. It seems like many aspects of the PB are known to help with mood, and I’ve definitely noticed a positive impact on mood myself!

Naomi Norwood is offline Junior Member
    Your location: Topanga, CA

Age (If you want): 59

How Primal are you: totally

Do you consume dairy: a little

Do you drink coffee or tea: yes

Motivator for switching to Primal: originally, to fix my SIBO

Favorite exercise: lifting heavy things

Favorite Primal food: impossible to select one favorite, but bacon, grass fed ribeye, and my morning coffee with KerryGold and MCTs are at the top of the list

Best part about being Primal: feeling amazingly good, as if someone flipped on the "On" switch

Worst part about being Primal: Having all this information and being unable to help some of the people I care most about, because they are not receptive, for various reasons. It can be very, very difficult. And painful and worrisome. I have been able to help LOTS of people, but not everyone, and the ones who are in real danger and haven't yet "seen the light" threaten my otherwise fantastic, Primal sleep.

paleolifestylehub is offline Junior Member
    The Questions:

Name : Kathy

Your location: Australia

Age (If you want): 34

How Primal are you: 75%

Do you consume dairy: yes every now and then

Do you drink coffee or tea: coffee yes

Motivator for switching to Primal: I want to live a healthy life.. and live longer I guess

Favorite exercise: I work out at home; runnning

Favorite Primal food: chicken and steaks

Best part about being Primal: Losing weight

Worst part about being Primal: Can't eat the sweet treats I have gotten used to before going paleo

Reventon is offline Senior Member
    Great to see so many other Aussies on here. Also Lei Ho Ma and Kiaora to Finra Can't forget our neighbours across the ditch

I've been on the forums and commenting on Mark's Blog for a while now. I'm 30 years of age, and have been primal for a year. I consider myself "a little over halfway" in terms of my overall body transformation.

After years of playing Rugby, then going cold turkey on physical activity when injuries piled up, stuck in the office for crazy hours and eating junk because of the time defecit, my physique has gone through multiple transformations before now. At 5'10, I've gone from being a powerful, if chubby, 110 kgs (240 lbs), to a nerve damaged, catabolic cripple with a busted meniscus and several torn ligaments at 92 kgs (202 lbs), back up to a fat, useless, sluggish 120+ kgs (265 lbs) and have now reverted to what I consider my fighting weight, 102 kgs (225 lbs).

The raw numbers in my story don't come close to describing the physical transformation, as I'm sure it's true for many of you. I've dropped 40 lbs net while consistently gaining muscle. Overall, it would be a safe bet to say I've probably dropped closer to the region of 60-70 lbs net bodyfat given the lean mass I've put back on. I'm stonger in many ways now than before I was injured, have more energy, more stable moods and have not had any recurring bouts of depression that I've struggled with since my teens.

I'm still a work in progress and am nowhere near done yet I don't care what numbers come up on the scale, but dropping eight pants sizes has only been a good start. Benching 5 reps at my own bodyweight would have been unthinkable only months ago, but now I want to push to that next tier, and I'm loving every second of it

Your location: Sydney, Australia

How Primal are you: 90/10 most weeks, 80/20 at times. Macronutrient ratios vary according to my mood and training schedule, but a typical week is 50% Fat, 20% Carbs, 30% Protein

Do you consume dairy: Selectively. I hate drinking milk and eating highly processed cheese. I love my dark chocolate, white cheeses (particularly feta, good quality fiore di latte, haloumi and ricotta) and use ice cream or greek yoghurt as an occasional treat.

Do you drink coffee or tea: I like my coffee like my women; hot, dark and bitter.... and often

Motivator for switching to Primal: Got sick of being a fat bastard with no energy and a gigantic arse who was physically useless.

Favorite exercise: Lifting, right now. In the near future, possibly a return to rugby

Favorite Primal food: So many.... but if I had to pick one, a Grass Fed Scotch fillet with a kale and baby spinach salad, eggplant and cherry tomatoes. And a big ol' handful of blueberries. Close second is a sashimi trio (kingfish, salmon and tuna) with a big seaweed and mesclun salad (I totally agree with Mark - real men eat lettuce)

Best part about being Primal: Getting to be a fractal, flaky goofball without six regimented small meals, a stupid volume of chronic cardio or a long list of lifts to perform. And being skinnier and stronger than when I was doing that crap

Worst part about being Primal: Watching friends stuff themselves with pizza and not being able to join in... until I think about the bloating I'd experience

Carnivor0us is offline Member
    Your location: Atlanta

Age (If you want): 30

How Primal are you: 85% of the time

Do you consume dairy: Yes. Usually cream, butter, and yogurt. Preferably grass-fed and non-homogenized.

Do you drink coffee or tea: Coffee with coconut oil and cream.

Motivator for switching to Primal: Before Primal, I was on a non-Primal ketogenic eating plan for glucose control and to help treat my PCOS. I now realize that the quality of food is just as important as weight loss.

Favorite exercise: Elliptical and weight lifting. Swimming to a degree.

Favorite Primal food: Rare prime rib and sweet potato. Also pastured eggs.

Best part about being Primal: It makes me feel good and satisfied and I'm no longer second-guessing myself on the healthfulness of my diet.

Worst part about being Primal: Expense.

TROLL265 is offline Junior Member
    Your location: ENGLAND, West Sussex

Age (If you want): 31

How Primal are you:

Food-wise almost 100% Its just I drink a moderate amount of beer, which I am not prepared to sacrifice. I lose weight whether I drink it or not, but there is a small amount of fat surrounding my abs, which I want to lose.

Do you consume dairy:

I have a little blue-top Milk in my tea in the morning.

Do you drink coffee or tea:

1 cup of Tea in the morning followed by 1/2 squeezed lemon in water.

Motivator for switching to Primal:

Wanted a six pack, but now after reading The 21 Day Total Body Transformation, I wish to stay Primal for health reasons.

Favorite exercise:

2 - 3 hours of Wakeboarding every week (very very intense workout) and Chin Ups

Favorite Primal food:

Rare Sirloin Steak with homemade oven cooked sweet potato chips.

Best part about being Primal:

Cutting out pointless processed snack foods such as Crisps.

Worst part about being Primal:

Having to be a pain in the bum at restaurants.

Kris64 is offline Member
    Your location: Milwaukee WI (hoping to move to TN or NC in 2014)

Age (If you want): 49

How Primal are you: Minimal grains, no wheat (but hope to get back to sour dough bread one day); I'll have to read more about being "primal" to be sure just how primal I am :-)

Do you consume dairy: Only whole fat. Yogurt, butter, ghee, sour cream (sometimes) cheese (only raw right now), and have my first batch of kefir grains growing right now.

Do you drink coffee or tea: When I feel like it.

Motivator for switching to Primal: Health problems--digestion is messed up big time especially with constipation and bloating with certain foods, which I had to give up :-( but hope to heal my system and get to the point where I can periodically indulge in bread or a scone.

Favorite exercise: 10 minute trainer--I know it sounds lame, but my heart rate improves with it and I always have time for 10 minutes.

Favorite Primal food: Not sure if honey is primal, but I had a mix of lard and honey the other day; a Chinese remedy to help get things moving in the colon . . . didn't help me, but dang it is delicious!

Best part about being Primal: Just starting, we'll see.

Worst part about being Primal: Too soon to tell. Still learning about it.

Radu is offline Junior Member
    Hello fellow Primals ! I am pretty excited to be here and see there's a lot of good-willed people around. My name is Radu and I'm a student. Hope I'll even get some friends

Your location: Romania, Bucharest

Age (If you want): 19

How Primal are you: Just started.

Do you consume dairy: Yes, I can't imagine life without my cheese !

Do you drink coffee or tea: Green tea addict.

Motivator for switching to Primal: My low energy levels, poor focus and being overweight.

Favorite exercise: Squats.

Favorite Primal food: Steak.

I do hope I'll be a useful member of the community and not upset any of you, thanks for having the patience to read my post
    Best part about being Primal:

Worst part about being Primal: