vivienneburke is offline Junior Member

Ken and Viv get smart!

Shop Now
    Your location: South Africa - Johannesburg to be exact

Age (If you want): Ken is 50 and I am 43

How Primal are you: 90/10

Do you consume dairy: butter and cheese very very occasionally

Do you drink coffee or tea: Ken has coffee

Motivator for switching to Primal: Health! Ken and I have had a year of sinus infections, herniated discs, bronchitis and we both decided enough is enough. We went cold turkey a month ago.

Favorite exercise: Swimming

Favorite Primal food: Bacon and beef, veggies are also tasting so much better!

Best part about being Primal: The fact that after a month, Ken and I feel like we have lost that "something isn't right feeling" with regard to our health.

Worst part about being Primal: I haven't encountered one yet.

Taniadale is offline Junior Member

Red face Newbie

The Questions:

Your location: Ontario, Canada

Age (If you want):35

How Primal are you: beginner (was in the past)

Do you consume dairy: small amount

Do you drink coffee or tea: mostly tea and coffee once in a while

Motivator for switching to Primal: My failing health and increased weight

Favorite exercise: working my arms with weights

Favorite Primal food: BBQ steak and spinach

Best part about being Primal: No more GERD

Worst part about being Primal: I really love bread and any bread type food

enokij is offline Junior Member
    Your location: Massachusettes

Age (If you want): 43

How Primal are you: Just beginning so just trying to get my footing and learn.

Do you consume dairy: Yes (minimal)

Do you drink coffee or tea: Yes

Motivator for switching to Primal: Hashimoto's Thyroiditis

Favorite exercise: Yoga

Favorite Primal food: Coconut butter

Best part about being Primal: the awesome amount of energy

Worst part about being Primal: No grains or peanut butter

nancyz7981 is offline Junior Member
    The Questions:

Your location: Chicago, IL

Age (If you want): 32

How Primal are you: Just started so still working that part out

Do you consume dairy: No unfortunately. My body does not like dairy at all.

Do you drink coffee or tea: Coffee once a day and tea periodically all day. Mostly just water since my hubby made me give up soda

Motivator for switching to Primal: It just seems to make the most sense for me. I have celiac disease and I am lactose intolerant. Unfortunately I was diagnosed in my 30's so trying to quit something I have been seriously addicted to (i.e. cakes and pies and such) has been hard. But I know I need to if I want to lose weight and get healthy.

Favorite exercise: Running and dancing

Favorite Primal food: Steak

Best part about being Primal: It's very filling and I don't have the constant gnawing hunger that I had while eating a lot of carb rich and processed foods.

Worst part about being Primal: Having to give up cakes and pies and such lol

ChileMama is offline Junior Member
    Your location: Colorful Colorado (drying out from the floods!)

Age (If you want): 48

How Primal are you: 99% (red wine makes up that other 1%

Do you consume dairy: No

Do you drink coffee or tea: Coffee, YES! With coconut milk as my creamer of choice.

Motivator for switching to Primal: I've lived the prototypical "low-fat, whole-grain" lie for most of my life. I really believed that I was doing the "right" thing (and in my 20's & 30's it seemed to work). After all, how could all of these renowned doctors, or even the Harvard School of Public Health be wrong? The proof was in my physique, and how I felt - but later in life. I am a runner, and despite logging many miles, and "eating right", my body fat remained at 28%. I was thinking, well, I'm 48; maybe that's just how it is, my new reality. A visit to a nutritionist recommended by my running club changed everything. This quasi-vegetarian, animal loving (not eating) woman explored paleo. And it's a good thing that I LOVE, I mean really love coconuts!! And bacon jerky Two months in, I lost 3 inches from my waist, and need to buy new jeans...all without going hungry of feeling deprived.

Favorite exercise: Trail running...long distances, with a good view. I now fuel up w/ a banana & a spoonful of Justin's maple almond butter

Favorite Primal food: grilled flank steak, marinated in tamari/gluten-free soy sauce, crushed garlic, red pepper flakes, and sesame oil, w/ cauliflower mashies!

Best part about being Primal: How good you feel!

Worst part about being Primal: How lonely it can be...others can be judgmental, believe that you are living "dangerously", and just plain don't get it. Especially painful at social gatherings where there aren't ANY clean eats; it can feel very isolating

PLambourne is offline Junior Member
    The Questions:

Your location: Southern California

Age (If you want): Retired

How Primal are you: Mostly, but I prefer to eat fruit than meat, probably because there is such an abundance of fresh, local, organic fruit.

Do you consume dairy: No, but kefir was suggested.

Do you drink coffee or tea: No, I do not drink any beverages with caffeine.

Motivator for switching to Primal: To lose the 15 pounds I gained when I retired and moved to the beach!

Favorite exercise: Spin classes and weight lifting

Favorite Primal food: Fresh, local, organic fruit!

Best part about being Primal: Eating natural foods, having energy to train two high-intensity dogs in five different dog sports.

Worst part about being Primal: Having to eat meat daily. I'm getting better about it because the weather is cooling down and the stone fruit season is just about over.

Chokobera is offline Junior Member
    I am 22, and getting a bit desperate. I've never had the body I wanted. I don't want to wear frumpy clothes to desperately try to cover up the rolls of fat hanging on my hips and belly. I lost some weight in college, but went through a really awful binge/fast/binge/fast cycle.

I want to try this primal diet, but I'm worried I'll get nasty sugar cravings and go on a binge. No really, I've gotten really bad with binging.

Since high school, I don't eat meat raised in factory farms, and only purchase humane certified eggs. Since it's difficult to find and afford organic grass-fed meat, I just don't eat any. I eat fish galore, though. I don't actively avoid milk, but I never buy it and hardly drink it. I'm lactose sensitive.

My favorite primal foods must be salmon and apples.

I drink tea everyday. Black, green, oolong, red, and many varieties of each. I love tea.

I don't like exercising, which has had a massive impact on my life. I never really did any sports, or made any effort to work out. Now I am soft and weak. However, recently I've discovered that I love to go biking! I've been exploring these days.

By going primal, I hope to lose this extra FAT. I want to wake up and not be sleepy. I also heard going primal can help with acne...? I have occasional breakouts, and I hope it will help with that. Over a year ago, I was diagnosed with Type II Bipolar Disorder- meaning I'm at an increased risk for obesity and diabetes. That scared me. In addition, I suffer terrible mood swings, that I think this diet will help with.

I highly doubt my friends and family will support me. I live in Japan, and it's expected that I eat all rice served to me. Also, my boyfriend LOVES pasta. He'll be devastated that I won't eat grains with him anymore, in addition to factory farmed meats.

rightersblahk is offline Junior Member
    Hey all, my names Mike and I've used the primal lifestyle to help me lose 115 lbs in the past. Of course life intrudes, parents die, depression sets in...long story short I've gained about 55 lbs. back and I need to get to work. Come see my blog at PoweredbyLethargy.com if you want to see how my journey is going!
    Your location:

Age (If you want): 39

How Primal are you: For the last 3 days? Completely

Do you consume dairy: Yes, heavy cream in my coffee and cheese

Do you drink coffee or tea: Both

Motivator for switching to Primal: It's the only way my body feels "right"

Favorite exercise: Walking and weight lifting with my son

Favorite Primal food: So simple, but the answer is MEAT

Best part about being Primal: No sugar hangovers in the morning

Worst part about being Primal: Catching myself being smug and judging others for not being Primal

Tiglath is offline Junior Member
    Hi all

Your location: London UK

Age (If you want): 46 (female)

How Primal are you: Literally just starting today.

Do you consume dairy: Yes.

Do you drink coffee or tea: Yes. 3 or 4 cups a day.

Motivator for switching to Primal: A recently-diagnosed complete intolerance to grains, identified through a low FODMAP elimination diet. Remembering how good I felt on Atkins a decade ago, largely because I wasn't eating grains, I suspect. Need to deal with slightly-elevated cholesterol and blood pressure, and get rid of excess weight (about 60-70 pounds).

Favorite exercise: Free weights.

Favorite Primal food: Eggs or fish.

Best part about being Primal: Hopefully beating my IBS into permanent submission!

Worst part about being Primal: Ask me again when I've been doing this for a while - at the moment it's all shiny and new

Tannje is offline Junior Member
    Hi I'm Tannje

Your location: Living in Pretoria, South Africa

How Primal are you: I'm 4 days into the 21 Day Challenge...

Do you consume dairy: At this point only Yoghurt and a bit of milk in my coffee

Do you drink coffee or tea: I have one cup of Coffee in the morning and then one cup of Rooibos tea, black no Sugar

Motivator for switching to Primal: My hubby went Primal about 6-8 months ago (He was skinny fat) he can't stop talking about Paleo and Primal Blueprint. Me, I'm over weight and want to get my body back..

Favorite exercise: Right now it's playing with my 3year old son, want to get walking and slow movements...

Favorite Primal food: Yummy Meat, and the raw veg I pack for lunch

Best part about being Primal: Not sure yet, I'm coming down with sugar and gluten withdraws... (I think, but that's what hubby said will happen)

Worst part about being Primal: I Miss CAKE!

Last edited by Tannje; 09-19-2013 at 11:35 AM.