Page 556 of 600 FirstFirst ... 56456506546554555556557558566 ... LastLast
Results 5,551 to 5,560 of 6000

Thread: Obligatory forum Introduce yourself thread page 556

turquoisepassion is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by bbouton View Post
    I have a question and, when I searched for an appropriate thread (I used "poison" and "grain" in my search) I was told it could find nothing. So I'm hoping to ask my question here. The thing that is holding me back from fully plunging into this new eating style (after being mostly vegetarian for years) is a question about one of the basics of the Primal philosophy: It seems that Mark is saying that grains are "poisonous" because they "don't want" animals to eat them. As a lifelong professional biologist, it has been my understanding that grains are actually fruits of the grasses (grains are grasses), and they are designed to be edible and to be eaten by animals, and then transported far from the parent plant where some are defecated out in locations where they will sprout and not compete with the parent ! Where have I gone wrong here? (Now I have to hope that if I receive responses, I'll know where to look to find them.) Thanks to anyone who can help. This is a major stumbling block for me. Bill
    They don't want to be eaten by bugs
    = natural pesticides present.

Also, I don't think wheat and etc are meant to be eaten and dispersed. The original wheat (triticeae subfamily) had kernels than easily broke off from the plant... So the plant probably depended on wind scattering or maybe the thistles allowed itself to attach to moving mammals.

Otherwise it doesn't make sense to have such a hard to digest shell over the starchy part that requires the aid of special bacterial symbiosis in herbivore's digestive tract or smashing the grain into pulp. It also doesn't make sense because the grain kernel IS the seed, not the seed covered by a tasty flesh like fruits are. So either the animal would not eat it because it cannot digest any part of the ingested parts (unlike fruits), or it is detrimental for the grain for the animal to ingest it because the seed is also digested and thus the genetics of the plant is not passed on. So the grain plant cannot hope for an animal to want to eat it when it does not offer any nutrition to the animal without destroying the seed itself.

That was see fully convoluted. Hope it made sense. My background is biochem not biology but I grew up collecting plant samples with my botanist parents.
    ------
    HCLF: lean red meat, eggs, low-fat dairy, bone broth/gelatin, fruits, seafood, liver, small amount of starch (oatmeal, white rice, potatoes, carrots), small amount of saturated fat (butter/ghee/coconut/dark chocolate/cheese).

My Journal: gelatin experiments, vanity pictures, law school rants, recipe links

Food blog: GELATIN and BONE BROTH recipes

" The best things in life are free and the 2nd best are expensive!" - Coco Chanel

loraingirl11 is offline Junior Member
    Your location: Lorain, Ohio

Age (If you want): 51

How Primal are you: Just Starting...

Do you consume dairy: yes

Do you drink coffee or tea: yes

Motivator for switching to Primal: Preserving brain cells through detoxification that comes from eating clean.

Favorite exercise: Biking

Favorite Primal food: steak

Best part about being Primal: No answer yet

Worst part about being Primal: I am sure it will be no sugar at first

flyjohno is offline Junior Member

(If you want): 44

How Primal are you: 90% ish

Do you consume dairy: Yes, half/half in coffee.

Do you drink coffee or tea: Yes, with coconut oil and half & half.

Motivator for switching to Primal: Better overall health.

Favorite exercise(s): Gracie Jiu Jitsu. Mountain Biking. Body weight exercises.

Favorite Primal food: Meat and Veggies!

Best part about being Primal: Constant energy levels!

Worst part about being Primal: Eating well while traveling..
    Last edited by flyjohno; 09-09-2013 at 09:53 PM.

Josh Duke is offline Junior Member
    Your location: Massachusetts

Age (If you want): 34

How Primal are you: Total Noob

Do you consume dairy: Yes. Heavy cream in coffee.

Do you drink coffee or tea: Both, but trying to move to more tea and limit coffee intake.

Motivator for switching to Primal: I wanted something natural and sustainable, as opposed to another fad that relied heavily on supplements and ridiculous compliance.

Favorite exercise: Programming from Military Athlete

Favorite Primal food: Anything that runs, flies, or swims; I'm a protein fiend.

Best part about being Primal: I dunno yet.

Worst part about being Primal: I dunno yet.

bonniez is offline Junior Member
    The Questions:

Your location: Rochester, NH

Age (If you want): Almost 53

How Primal are you: approx 80% for the past 4 weeks

Do you consume dairy: Some. No milk, some hard cheese, occasional greek yogurt or sour cream

Do you drink coffee or tea: decaf in am

Motivator for switching to Primal: I had an unexpected total hysterectomy with a large section of my bowel removed. Gross right? For the past year and a half, I have been experiencing bloating, gas, irregular bowel habits. Sorry for the gross TMI. I finally had enough so switched to no processed foods because I had to try something. I'm very active, ate healthy (or so I thought), only whole grains, etc. Within one day of no grain and no legumes, I had no gas, bloating, etc!!!! More research has lead me to Paleo eating. Still in the learning stage and looking for more information.

Favorite exercise: Running, cycling, skiing

Favorite Primal food: avocado

Best part about being Primal: feeling great and losing weight

Worst part about being Primal: coming up with creative food ideas.

Notnearlyalice is offline Junior Member
    Hi I have just joined the forum - I am from Northern Ireland
    I have been following a low carb/paleo diet for around 2 months now.
    I have some health issues I wanted to tackle and believe changing my diet will be the first step in this.
    Do I consume dairy: Yes just milk in tea and a small amount of cheese, almond or coconut milk in shakes.
    Yes to coffee and tea (mainly tea)
    Favourite Exercise: Walking, running and Pilates
    Favourite Primal Food: Fish or Meat
    Best Part about being Primal: Losing weight, my skin has improved, having more energy and no sugar dips and improved moods
    Worst part about being Primal: avoiding the buns/cakes in my workplace (and not feeling weird about it)

greenporter is offline Junior Member
    Hi ALL!

I've just created a bio in my profile but, sticking with the program here:

Your location: NY, NY

Age (If you want): 57

How Primal are you: Quite (for 2+ months), I think. I am reading Blueprint now.

Do you consume dairy: Just quit dairy last week . I was 2+ months doing LCHF and hadn't lost any weight.

Do you drink coffee or tea: Yes (~ 2/day) & some

Motivator for switching to Primal: Specific weight & general health considerations.

Favorite exercise: I used to like to run but my hips are shot. So now I walk about 30 mins/day

Favorite Primal food: I love my farm fresh eggs, especially with sausage from a pig I once knew

Best part about being Primal: Not sure yet.

Worst part about being Primal: Not sure yet but I feel no hardship.
    Last edited by greenporter; 09-11-2013 at 06:41 AM.

natashik85 is offline Member

Thumbs up Allow me to introduce myself...

Your location: Tallinn, Estonia

Age (If you want): 28

How Primal are you: As much as I can. I still can't give up diary.

Do you consume dairy: Yes

Do you drink coffee or tea: Yes (once a day in the morning)

Motivator for switching to Primal: Mine and my husband's weight and health issues

Favorite exercise: Walking and hiking. Dancing. Body-Pump

Favorite Primal food: Pork and fat.

Best part about being Primal: What you eat is actually REALLY delicious. You eat great things and are getting healthier every minute. Great fitness plan - mostly play Easy lifestyle for me.

Worst part about being Primal: I still miss baking cakes sometimes. But then I eat some bacon and feel happy again.

mikekola is offline Junior Member
    Let me quickly introduce myself below:

Your location: Krakow, Poland

Age (If you want): 29

How Primal are you: Diet part: close to 100% of time, with small amounts of dairy. Lifestyle aspects: as much as I can.

Do you consume dairy: Yes

Do you drink coffee or tea: Yes/No... that's what I need to discuss

Motivator for switching to Primal: Being overweight/obese

Favorite exercise: Running and walking

Favorite Primal food: Variety of fish and seafood, especially salmon. Eggs.

Best part about being Primal: It works- in all the possible contexts.

Worst part about being Primal: Being criticized/ostracized sometimes.

kayhunter is offline Junior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    The Questions:

Your location: Fraser Lake, BC, Canada ( the middle of BC and nowhere!)

Age (If you want):27

How Primal are you: Pretty good except, I looovveee Cheese and Red wine...I figure grok would have eaten those rotting fruits and had a good time right??

Do you consume dairy: Just in Cheese and butter

Do you drink coffee or tea:No

Motivator for switching to Primal: Debilitating IBS and was already on a low carb gluten free diet but was going to "Burn down the world" I was so frustrated and mad with no focus.

Favorite exercise: Walking with my dog 5-10 kms a day

Favorite Primal food: Chicken Souvlaki and Beef jerky (I heart Primal kits to get me through locations where I can eat literally NOTHING available.

Best part about being Primal: Energy Levels have shot up! minimal IBS symptoms and overall feel better about everything

Worst part about being Primal: Bacon intolerance means a lot of recipes are hard to follow, and stupid people who insist we stop at Tim Hortons or A&W as our food break on a long car ride despite me telling them I can eat literally nothing on the menu.