Page 555 of 629 FirstFirst ... 55455505545553554555556557565605 ... LastLast
Results 5,541 to 5,550 of 6289

Thread: Obligatory forum Introduce yourself thread page 555

unrefined1 is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    My location: Orlando,Florida

How Primal am I?

Totally!!!! I had no problem giving up carbs or sugar!

Do I consume dairy?

Only heavy cream in my coffee and Grass Fed (Kerrygold) Butter

I definitely drink coffee!!!! Organic beans only!

Motivation to switch to primal:

I have studied nutrition for years and as with all of us I have searched for something that made sense. Primal does...in every way.

Favorite exercise:

Don't have a favorite. As long as I'm moving I'm good! I was a freeweight lifter for years and then a couch potato for years. It took a minute to get back to loving exercise.

Favorite Primal Food:

Salmon and Coconut

Best thing about being primal

My allergies are GONE!!!! My energy level is great and I'm losing pounds every day.

There is no worst part about being primal!

blossomthyme is offline Junior Member
    Your location: Annapolis, MD

Age (If you want): 49

How Primal are you: Partly?

Do you consume dairy: Heavy Cream in my Bulletproof coffee

Do you drink coffee or tea: Love both, but coffee is almost completely decaf. Contributed to stress related problems

Motivator for switching to Primal: Already low carb and finally loving it, then just recently (past 3 months) discovered Primal. I'm doing the Carb Nite Solution right now for fat loss, which is low carb (20g per day) with refeedings. I figure after I am finally at my desired weight or body composition, I will segue into Primal eating as a lifestyle. In the Carb Nite Solution, you are allowed dairy one night a week, but it doesn't have to be diary, you can make non-diary choices for your refeeds (carb loading).

Favorite exercise: Use to be aerobic dancing, but now it's weight training because of the results I get but I also love how I feel after a cardio workout. I've had a lifetime of fitness.

Favorite Primal food: Pork. Love pork. Recently started buy my bacon without nitrates and uncured. Delicious. Chicken a close second.

Best part about being Primal: Less effort in maintaining body composition and feeling great! Always have been into nutrition and fitness, except I've learned a lot about how carbs have affected my body as I've gotten older and finding it more difficult to lose weight. I am changing my lifestyle and I'm definitely fat adapted at this point.

Worst part about being Primal: I would say I might miss dairy. I get it on my refeed nights in my current diet protocol, but 6 days a week, I am very low carb. My favorite food on carb nite is ice cream and pasta. I also have adapted to gluten free because wheat gives me weird joint pain. Even my nutritional therapist says to give up the stuff. Frankly, he doesn't know I eat it - ice cream that is.

Fenduh is offline Junior Member
    Your location: Sandwich, MA (on Cape Cod)

Age (If you want): 50

How Primal are you: 90+%

Do you consume dairy: Little half and half in my coffee.

Do you drink coffee or tea: Yes...coffee...need something to mix my half and half with.

Motivator for switching to Primal: Blood Pressure, Cholesterol and just wanted to lose 10lbs that I couldn't.

Favorite exercise: Kickboxing (something I discovered when I was 48...never had any sort of martial arts training until then.)

Favorite Primal food: Baked chicken with Ghee...I could eat the whole thing.

Best part about being Primal: My blood pressure did drop, haven't checked cholesterol yet and I did lose those 10lbs plus some.

Worst part about being Primal: My wife constantly asking how I can not eat bread.

bamaguate is offline Junior Member
    Your location: Birmingham AL

Age (If you want): 35

How Primal are you: not sure

Do you consume dairy: yes

Do you drink coffee or tea: yes

Motivator for switching to Primal: had a baby 5 months ago, always tired and nothing fits.

Favorite exercise: walking, swimming

Favorite Primal food: steak

Best part about being Primal: will soon find out

Worst part about being Primal will soon find out

hollylu is offline Junior Member
    Hi y'all! I am hollylu!
    I came to primal eating via the GAPS diet, so that has had a big influence on my choices (with respect to dairy, etc.)

Your location: I live in rural North Carolina (outside of Charlotte)

Age (If you want): 55 and not ashamed of it!

How Primal are you: I would say 'mostly'. I don't eat grains or sugar as a rule, but I do occasionally have a little rice or cheat with organic corn chips. Usually these are when I am either starving for carbs (I seem to have a high need for carbs) or away from home and nothing else is available.

Do you consume dairy: Yes, but only cultured or aged (as in cheese). I eat homemade yogurt and sour cream (made the GAPS way - 24 hour culture). I also eat butter (lots) and aged cheese (a little). No fresh milk or soft cheeses (like cream cheese and mozzarella).

Do you drink coffee or tea: Yes. Only before noon (caffeine keeps me awake). Sometimes with honey.

Motivator for switching to Primal: Digestive issues, depression and anxiety, insomnia, belly fat (even though I'm not overweight)

Favorite exercise: walking (I'm hoping to get stronger, but right now exercise is painful for me because I am so out of shape

Favorite Primal food: fatty meat!

Best part about being Primal: no more tummy aches!

Worst part about being Primal: trouble getting enough carbs - which causes me terrible insomnia (yesterday I cheated and ate french fries and ice cream - I slept like a baby!)
    Last edited by hollylu; 09-07-2013 at 07:55 AM.

bbouton is offline Junior Member

A question in addition to answering "The Questions"

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous View Post
    In other forums I've been a member of in the past - at least for small communities - there's been a 'introduce yourself' thread with some questions that people can answer. I know that there are people reading this forum that are fully primal, partially primal, and are considering it. I thought that I'd put some questions together to cover these things just to get an idea of who's out there.

The Questions:

Your location: San Luis Obispo, CA

Age (If you want): 70

How Primal are you:Still considering if it is the way I should go.

Do you consume dairy:No

Do you drink coffee or tea: Coffee

Motivator for switching to Primal:My "alternative-leaning" MD

Favorite exercise:Weight training, hiking the hills

Favorite Primal food:

Best part about being Primal:

Worst part about being Primal:
    I have a question and, when I searched for an appropriate thread (I used "poison" and "grain" in my search) I was told it could find nothing. So I'm hoping to ask my question here. The thing that is holding me back from fully plunging into this new eating style (after being mostly vegetarian for years) is a question about one of the basics of the Primal philosophy: It seems that Mark is saying that grains are "poisonous" because they "don't want" animals to eat them. As a lifelong professional biologist, it has been my understanding that grains are actually fruits of the grasses (grains are grasses), and they are designed to be edible and to be eaten by animals, and then transported far from the parent plant where some are defecated out in locations where they will sprout and not compete with the parent ! Where have I gone wrong here? (Now I have to hope that if I receive responses, I'll know where to look to find them.) Thanks to anyone who can help. This is a major stumbling block for me. Bill
    Last edited by bbouton; 09-07-2013 at 10:48 AM.

MarielleGO is offline Senior Member
    Hello all,

I'm Marielle and i'm new around here. I found this website yesterday through a fan on Facebook. It's been interesting and motivating to read it all.
    I'm from Holland and 30 years old.
    I'm a recovering heart failure patient, thanks to a heavy case of Influenza. I have been trying to recover for 10 years but my sugar addiction is working against me... hence the need for a proper diet.

The Questions:

Your location: The hague in Holland

Age (If you want):30

How Primal are you:thinking about starting it but having no idea how... but I am a Pagan so the live style change shouldn't be too difficult

Do you consume dairy:right now, too much but I have been cutting down ever since I started delving into Paleo

Do you drink coffee or tea:tea... I don't like coffee at all

Motivator for switching to Primal:I finally want a full recovery and my energy back... some days I feel 80 and those days are more often than my feeling 30 days

Favorite exercise:Tennis

Favorite Primal food:Don't know yet but I liked home made fries from sweet potatoes.

Best part about being Primal:still have to figure that one out

Worst part about being Primal:

ninalm1228 is offline Junior Member
    Hi! My name is Nina

how primal are you: following Mark's primal blueprint very very close. probably my only 'cheat' right now is some ranch dressing, for some reason, it seems to help me get off all of the refined carbs Ive been eating for years.

Dairy: very little

coffee: yes organic 2 cups

motivator: I am so tired of feeling like crap and being overweight. Everything I read is about balancing blood sugars and insulin, and the only way to achieve this is to eliminate the sources- sugar and refined carbs.

favorite exercise: jumping rope, planks, squats, hoping to run some when I am more in shape.

favorite primal food: love avocado, a beautiful steak, and lots of salad greens.

best part of primal: my energy is coming back!!

worst part of primal: don't see any downsides. Being healthy takes disipline and creating a balance in life for which I have been lacking for about a decade!

marthaNH is offline Junior Member
    The Questions:

Your location: Brooklyn

Age (If you want): 58

How Primal are you: about 80% maybe

Do you consume dairy: I do.

Do you drink coffee or tea: I do. Both.

Motivator for switching to Primal: Looking for wise council on fitness, body maintenance, wellness.

Favorite exercise: Very long walk, including from Brooklyn to Manhattan and back via the Williamsburg Bridge.

Favorite Primal food: Eggs.

Best part about being Primal: Injury-free fitness.

Worst part about being Primal: The whole caveman schtick.

turquoisepassion is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bbouton View Post
    I have a question and, when I searched for an appropriate thread (I used "poison" and "grain" in my search) I was told it could find nothing. So I'm hoping to ask my question here. The thing that is holding me back from fully plunging into this new eating style (after being mostly vegetarian for years) is a question about one of the basics of the Primal philosophy: It seems that Mark is saying that grains are "poisonous" because they "don't want" animals to eat them. As a lifelong professional biologist, it has been my understanding that grains are actually fruits of the grasses (grains are grasses), and they are designed to be edible and to be eaten by animals, and then transported far from the parent plant where some are defecated out in locations where they will sprout and not compete with the parent ! Where have I gone wrong here? (Now I have to hope that if I receive responses, I'll know where to look to find them.) Thanks to anyone who can help. This is a major stumbling block for me. Bill
    They don't want to be eaten by bugs
    = natural pesticides present.

Also, I don't think wheat and etc are meant to be eaten and dispersed. The original wheat (triticeae subfamily) had kernels than easily broke off from the plant... So the plant probably depended on wind scattering or maybe the thistles allowed itself to attach to moving mammals.

Otherwise it doesn't make sense to have such a hard to digest shell over the starchy part that requires the aid of special bacterial symbiosis in herbivore's digestive tract or smashing the grain into pulp. It also doesn't make sense because the grain kernel IS the seed, not the seed covered by a tasty flesh like fruits are. So either the animal would not eat it because it cannot digest any part of the ingested parts (unlike fruits), or it is detrimental for the grain for the animal to ingest it because the seed is also digested and thus the genetics of the plant is not passed on. So the grain plant cannot hope for an animal to want to eat it when it does not offer any nutrition to the animal without destroying the seed itself.

That was see fully convoluted. Hope it made sense. My background is biochem not biology but I grew up collecting plant samples with my botanist parents.
    ------
    HCLF: lean red meat, eggs, low-fat dairy, bone broth/gelatin, fruits, seafood, liver, small amount of starch (oatmeal, white rice, potatoes, carrots), small amount of saturated fat (butter/ghee/coconut/dark chocolate/cheese).

My Journal: gelatin experiments, vanity pictures, law school rants, recipe links

Food blog: GELATIN and BONE BROTH recipes

" The best things in life are free and the 2nd best are expensive!" - Coco Chanel