Motivator for switching to Primal: to be healthier
    Favorite exercise:
    Favorite Primal food: n/a
    Best part about being Primal: n/a

Worst part about being Primal: n/a

Megalith is offline Junior Member
    Your location: Ohio

Age (If you want): 42

How Primal are you: fairly, I do my best.

Do you consume dairy: experimenting, but right now just full-fat Greek yogurt

Do you drink coffee or tea: both, 2 cups of coffee a day, cold-brewed tea as my go-to drink.

Motivator for switching to Primal: increasing depression and a strange sluggishness and fatigue I used to get after eating certain foods. My experiments and research led me to MDA eventually.

Favorite exercise: walking; anything bodyweight (no excuses!), but the pull-up bar otherwise.

Favorite Primal food: grass-fed steak

Best part about being Primal: low cognitive dissonance and tons of confirmation bias! But seriously, the steaks. And the bacon and eggs.

Worst part about being Primal: finding the full-fat versions of foods.

Pat W. is offline Junior Member
    Name: Pat

Your location: Schaumburg, Illinois

How Primal are you: 90% - occasionally I eat one bite of bread with butter and thoroughly enjoy it! I also occasionally eat pasta - a brand which has a low glycemic index.

Do you consume dairy: Yes - full fat cottage cheese, occasional Greek yogurt and Pecorino Romano in moderation. I feel more satisfied when I eat some dairy and I seem to tolerate it well.

Do you drink coffee or tea: tea and lots of H20!

Motivator for switching to Primal: diagnosed in August 2012 as pre-diabetic - 100+ pounds overweight

Favorite exercise: walking and stationary bike, food shopping at good stores (that's when I lift heavy things!)

Favorite Primal foods: bacon -- the candy of the meat world; anything coconut, almonds, braised meats, pot roast, pork shoulder, veggies, I love it all!

Best parts about being Primal: I really am learning to cook and loving it! I cook a lot of food at one time and freeze it so I always have great fast food available for myself and my family. My two sons (20 and 17) are learning to cook and are eating much better. I cook with friends now and have a blast! I also love to share with people about PB. I send them to Mark's Daily Apple. In one year I have lost 65 pounds, my blood sugar is stable, my knees don't hurt, my confidence is great and I am healthier and happier than I have ever been. Looking better in my fifties than in my forties! Have about 40 pounds to reach my goal and I'm still feeling motivated. Making good food choices every day!

Worst parts about being Primal: Seeing so many people who would benefit from eating Primal and realizing that conventional wisdom is killing them! Wishing I had stuck with this when I tried it about six years ago. I feel especially sad about young people who are overweight from eating what corporations are selling. I feel a responsibility to share as best I can and be an enthusiastic example so that the Primal movement will grow and become a part of more people's lives.

Gilenea is offline Junior Member

Wink

Your location: Republic of Texas

Age (If you want): 27

How Primal are you: I abide by the 80/20 - sometimes stray 70/30, but come right back.

Do you consume dairy: Full fat!

Do you drink coffee or tea: Tea and a ton of water (got my gallon right here!).

Motivator for switching to Primal: I was a yo-yo dieter. On the search for sustainable weight loss, I stumbled upon MDA. Also, hypoglycemia and diabetes run in my father's side of the family. I had hypoglycemia for 25 years before I made the switch... how convenient!

Favorite exercise: Moving!

Favorite Primal food: Too many to choose - pretty much any combination of plants and animals.

Best part about being Primal: It's so easy to maintain.

Worst part about being Primal: The occasional debilitating cravings for SAD waffles and birthday cake.
    Last edited by Gilenea; 08-06-2013 at 11:45 AM. Reason: Bad math! :P

Your location: The United State of California

Age (If you want):51

How Primal are you: Just started and am close to 95%

Do you consume dairy: I will but in limited amounts

Do you drink coffee or tea: I like both

Motivator for switching to Primal: Tired of carrying the extra weight when I run. To lose 20 lbs and be back at my weight in high school would be amazing!

Favorite exercise: Running, hiking biking, and some gym work.

Favorite Primal food: Beef jerky (Told you I was just starting out!)

Best part about being Primal: Don't feel the spikes I was getting with carbs like sugar or processed foods.

Worst part about being Primal: Getting my body converted over to burn fat while exercising.

I will have a slice of toasted sprouted grain bread with almond butter and tbs of jam before heading out to the gym or going out for an extended run. I need to find an alternative morning item to replace this. I saw a recipe for a flour-less banana bread and may try that to replace the sprouted grain bread.

cltyank is offline Junior Member
    Your location: Charlotte, NC

Age (If you want): Turning 50

How Primal are you: I am still learning while dealing with Reactive Hypoglycemia.

Do you consume dairy: Yes, hard cheese, plain greek yogurt, cottage cheese

Do you drink coffee or tea: Green and Mint Tea a couple of times a month

Motivator for switching to Primal: A better way. I have been dealing with this Reactive Hypoglycemia, eating small meals and portions and still felling crappy.

Favorite exercise: Biking

Favorite Primal food: Anything from the sea.

Best part about being Primal: Simple and pure.

Worst part about being Primal: Travel can be difficult. We will see.

Purtyred is offline Junior Member
    Hi everyone,
    Here's a little run-down...then, the questions answered from the 1st post...

I'm unhealthy and scared I've waited too long. I didn't know until recently at an acupressure appointment that my diet could be hurting me worse. We eat pretty healthy (or so I thought) and I never thought about cutting gluten or nightshades to help with my inflammation.
    I have chronic migraines from a car accident in 2009 and hurt most days from mid back up. They've put me at 40% disability. So far, I can't do any upper body exercise without going full-blown-crawl-on-the-floor migraine.
    We're (my husband) just getting started with paleo and are looking into starting cross-fit next month. The owner of the gym said he'll work with me personally to find work-outs that I can do without causing headaches so, I can keep a schedule.

Questions --

Your location:

Colorado, USA

Age (If you want):

How Primal are you:

None, yet. We're just getting started. Trying to figure out how to purge the bad from the house without being too wasteful.

Do you consume dairy: Often...but, I'm going to try to go without for at least the 1st few months of Paleo.

Do you drink coffee or tea:

Tea - Cold and Hot

Motivator for switching to Primal:

My health and overall fitness for me and my husband.

Favorite exercise:

I used to enjoy weight lifting of any sort.

Favorite Primal food:

I don't know yet.

Best part about being Primal:

I don't know yet.

Worst part about being Primal:

I think giving up dairy will be hard for me. I'm also giving up nightshades to start with...so, that will be hard as well because tomatoes and peppers are about my favorites.

Thank you for this site! I'm hopeful!

~Shana

georgedmercado is offline Junior Member
    Motivator for switching to Primal: Being as healthy and fit as possible is like a sport for me. I love to experiment with the way I live. But being healthy, having a lot of energy, looking good and being in shape to do whatever life throws at me is the major ones.
    Thank you.
    georgedmercado

Quote Originally Posted by Purtyred View Post
    Hi everyone,
    Here's a little run-down...then, the questions answered from the 1st post...

I'm unhealthy and scared I've waited too long. I didn't know until recently at an acupressure appointment that my diet could be hurting me worse. We eat pretty healthy (or so I thought) and I never thought about cutting gluten or nightshades to help with my inflammation.
    I have chronic migraines from a car accident in 2009 and hurt most days from mid back up. They've put me at 40% disability. So far, I can't do any upper body exercise without going full-blown-crawl-on-the-floor migraine.
    We're (my husband) just getting started with paleo and are looking into starting cross-fit next month. The owner of the gym said he'll work with me personally to find work-outs that I can do without causing headaches so, I can keep a schedule.

Questions --

Your location:

Colorado, USA

Age (If you want):

How Primal are you:

None, yet. We're just getting started. Trying to figure out how to purge the bad from the house without being too wasteful.

Do you consume dairy: Often...but, I'm going to try to go without for at least the 1st few months of Paleo.

Do you drink coffee or tea:

Tea - Cold and Hot

My health and overall fitness for me and my husband.

Favorite exercise:

I used to enjoy weight lifting of any sort.

Favorite Primal food:

I don't know yet.

Best part about being Primal:

I don't know yet.

Worst part about being Primal:

I think giving up dairy will be hard for me. I'm also giving up nightshades to start with...so, that will be hard as well because tomatoes and peppers are about my favorites.

Thank you for this site! I'm hopeful!

~Shana
    Hey purtyred, Do you know what type of migraine? I have a friend who gets cluster migraines, where his eye will start to tear up. He used to go out for a brief jog and the headache would go away. He now does oxygen therapy. When he gets a cluster migraine at work he goes out to his car and breathes oxygen for 10-15 minutes and the headache goes away. Hope this was helpful!

skotcharu is offline Senior Member

Age (If you want): 40

How Primal are you: 90%

Do you consume dairy: No

Do you drink coffee or tea: No

I was diagnosed with hypertension 2 years ago. It was bad...180/110. I was put on 2 pills and the blood pressure stabilized.I exercised on and off and spend alot of time outdoors hiking, canoeing, fishing, biking but I was never consistent. This year I decided to do something about that and started the Insanity workouts. I was really happy with the results and started looking harder at my overall health inculding my diet. Then one day I found this site and I was looking for information on paleo.

All I can say is that everything fell into place. I had all these little bits of information I had hunted and gathered but no unified concept to have all the pieces fit together. Plus, the fact that Mark is so mellow in his approach really made me comfortable that I could do this at my own pace without pressure from fitness/nutrition zealots.

I now consider primal my lifestyle. It's just how i go about my day to day.

Favorite exercise: Hiking

Favorite Primal food: Homeade beef jerky

Best part about being Primal: Feeling great every day

Worst part about being Primal: I miss pizza