daem1313 is offline Junior Member

...daem1313

Primal Fuel
    Your location: Southern California

Age (If you want): 38 Beginning weight about 160, 30 lbs over weight

How Primal are you: trying to be close to 90%

Do you consume dairy: yes

Do you drink coffee or tea: tea, iced tea...and tea

Motivator for switching to Primal: weight, diabetes type 2, want to be a better role model for my students, want to feel better about myself

Favorite exercise: elliptical (I can read during), walking around Disneyland or DCA

Favorite Primal food: many...asparagus, green onion, bell peppers, meat, fish, etc.

Best part about being Primal: I have an excuse to eat very well...

Worst part about being Primal: time management...

Last time I lost weight, about 20 lbs, I did so by working out for an hour every other day, eating only 1400 calories, and going to be hungry every night.

This is day 8 of going primal. I don't go to be hungry and although my food is not spectacular, I very much enjoy what I eat. My doctor thinks I seem different, more positive about my health, and others around me tell me I seem more upbeat.

I have worn Vibram Fivefinger shoes for almost two years; wear them about 60% of the time, corrected foot pain I was having.

My hope is that I become more active, have more energy, lose weight, become healthier.
    I enjoy my reading, tv and movies and don't want to give them up.

OutdoorAmy is offline Senior Member
    Reintroducing myself since I hadn't been active for a while and I'm re-starting with paleo.

I am 20-something girl in Colorado who loves the outdoors - hence the name. Hiking is my favorite exercise.

I lost about 40 lbs. last year following primal but fell off the wagon slowly starting with a trip to my grandfather's funeral, where I indulged in soda for the first time in months.

After some GI issues this winter and spring and subsequent diagnostic testing (and gluten challenge) I am now back on the paleo path. I'm still waiting for my follow up appointment to get my official diagnosis - but since the testing is done I'm back to paleo and following a gut healing plan for the next 21 days.
    Healthy Bucket List:
    • Summit all of Colorado's 14-ers
    • Hike the Appalachian Trail
    • Do a real pull-up
    • Run a 5k
    • Be "Hot For Training Camp"

Check out my journey at Outdoor Amy's Blog.

Ariana30 is offline Senior Member
    Greetings. Introducing myself here: I'm 30 years old, married with a daughter and work full time. I believe this way of eating will improve my health so I'm willing to give it a try. My husband does not eat grains or sugar, and is overall "low carb."

whitty1 is offline Junior Member
    Your location: Wiltshire, UK

Age (If you want): 33

How Primal are you: Complete newbie!

Do you consume dairy: Not really - lactose intolerant but this is decreasing a bit since my UC is better controlled.

Do you drink coffee or tea: Tea

Motivator for switching to Primal: Want to lose the lorry tyre round my waist!

Favorite exercise: Dancing (haven't yet tried primal exercises)

Favorite Primal food: Chicken legs

Best part about being Primal: Don't know yet

Worst part about being Primal: Don't know yet

This is my first day so not really qualified to answer these yet but wanted to say hi!

tiramisu. is offline Junior Member
    Hello I'm not new to the MDA forums, but in trying to stay more anonymous I have created a new account.

LorPor is offline Junior Member
    My name is Loraine

Your location: Utah

Age (If you want): 50 wonderful years!

How Primal are you: Trying to be totally

Do you consume dairy: Sometimes

Do you drink coffee or tea: Coffee

Motivator for switching to Primal: Severe, mysterious health problems. Recently found out that I've been battling Systemic Lupus for 13 years!!!

Favorite exercise: Kickboxing, Karate, Yoga, Biking, Hiking, Walking

Favorite Primal food: Bacon (Meat candy)

Best part about being Primal: I can not believe how much better I feel.

Worst part about being Primal: Trying to keep up with all the information out there. I would like to know at least a large portion of what Mark knows, but there is SO MUCH to learn. And more every day. I don't have the time I would like to read everything. Also, finding/creating RECIPES that work.

I started Primal in February 2013. Within the first month, I lost about 20 lbs., and the constant pain started to diminish. After about three months, however, I plateaued. I kept eating primally as much as I understood and could, and I started kickboxing and karate in May, 2013. That decision has been one of the best I've made. I'm bringing my husband to karate now, too. I've decided to do a 21 day challenge for myself, to re-commit to the Primal lifestyle, so introducing myself on this forum is one of the steps I'm taking.

Strict adherence to the eating program is another. I admit that I have not conformed completely to the eating program always in the past. But, again, I agree with the 80/20 rule, but usually after you've achieved certain goals. Still, if I "cheat" (and I never call it that), I just continue to do the best I can from that point on. I'm always re-comitting and encouraging myself to keep going and do better.

My biggest challenge, I think, is dark chocolate and needing a treat at night in bed. (Not THAT kind of treat!!) So, I overdo it with the dark chocolate (because Mark says he has a small amount sometimes), and treats at night. It has to be sweet, but not too sweet. My favorite right now is frozen berries, with cream poured on top and a little chocolate drizzled on that.

So . . . anyone have any advice or encouragement for me? I could really use some support. I know it's not too late, being 50 and all. I have NEVER agreed with the aging/hormonal/menopausal excuses my peers use. NEVER. And so I was so excited to read Mark's opinion of the aging process. Because I agree totally with the fact that the more we move, the more we will be able to move. "If we don't use it, we lose it." (My karate instructor/owner, now uses that phrase with his students after I said it to him!!!) AND, I am a true believer in what we eat makes a HUGE difference in our health.

Another big problem that I have, is that I have not been able to lose ANY weight or inches in several months. That is frustrating since I am 50 lbs. overweight, and I know that losing at least some of that would help my health problems. I will never be a beauty queen in the world's eyes again (like when I was 19), but I know I can look/feel/be better than I am now. And it's about always improving, isn't it?

Thanks in advance to any and all of you experts and seniors and experienced Primalists who can help me.

Loraine

RangerBound is offline Junior Member
    Hey everyone, I'm just starting... as in, discovered this site within the last 3 hours. I haven't read much of the material but I've been meaning to live a healthier lifestyle and eat a healthier diet and this site motivated me to make the change now. My goals are mostly performance driven: 90-100 Push-Ups in 2 minutes; 90-100 sit ups in 2 minutes; 11:30 2-mile run. I would also like to lower my body fat percentage to around 8%. I'm very happy with my body... but I would like to tighten my waist and lose the stubborn fat covering my would-be abs.

Your location: Connecticut

Age (If you want): 21

How Primal are you: I'm an Infantry Officer, it doesn't get much more primal than that

Do you consume dairy: Yes

Do you drink coffee or tea: Tea

Motivator for switching to Primal: It's been a long time coming

Favorite exercise: Long Runs

Favorite Primal food: Squash

Best part about being Primal: I look forward to finding out

Worst part about being Primal: I hope it won't be too bad.
    Sua Sponte

Rhoda Jayne is offline Junior Member
    My name is Rhoda & I'm 58 years old. I'm almost 3 years free from endometrial cancer. I have fibromyalgia and rheumatoid arthritis. I especially have problems with my feet and right knee.
    I'd just like to feel better and lose weight.
    I started doing some research and after buying The Wheatbelly cookbook, I kept seeing references to primal and paleo and I ended up here. I've bought Mark's Primal Blueprint book along with a couple more cookbooks.
    I've been clearing my pantry of wheat, corn, rice & beans along with packaged foods.
    I've made a few shopping trips to stock up on the right things & that's been a learning experience.
    My biggest challenge will be choosing meals at Mexican restaurants on the weekends. Giving up diet soda will be hard too.
    The Questions:

Your location: Arkansas

Age (If you want): 58

How Primal are you: barely

Do you consume dairy: haven't given up butter or sour cream yet

Do you drink coffee or tea: tea

Motivator for switching to Primal: I want to feel better & lose weight

Favorite exercise: walking

Favorite Primal food: grilled chicken

Best part about being Primal: the best part will be good health

Worst part about being Primal: I won't say worst part,but the most challenging part will be learning to remake favorite foods

Thanks, Rhoda

m2veleck is offline Junior Member
    My name's Magda, I'm 36 and live in Atlanta, GA. I guess I've eaten Primal for almost 2 years now - I was actually on the GAPS diet for that time. GAPS is basically primal (no grains, no legumes other than white beans and lentils, focus on broth, meats, vegetables, fruit, probiotics) so it was really not a switch. I've been 'cleaning' up the family's diet for years now: pastured meats, unhomogenized or raw dairy, pastured local eggs, organic vegetables and fruits, etc. I have 2 kids: boys ages 3.5 and 9. DH is just now turning Primal so we'll see how the kids react. My older one is a carboholic so it will be tough. Younger one loves veggies!! I've been reading MDA for over a year and learning tons. I just started exercising so I'm most looking forward to finding a routine I can fit into my busy life.

Your location: Atlanta, GA

Age (If you want): 36

How Primal are you: very - rarely eat nonPrimal

Do you consume dairy: yes, all full fat, try to do raw or unhomogenized

Do you drink coffee or tea: both - usually 1 green tea and 1 coffee a day

Motivator for switching to Primal: slow evolution: went from SAD to Weston Price diet, then gluten free, then GAPS (which is basically Primal but focused on healing digestion through broth, probiotics, etc.) - I've felt the best without eating grains

Favorite exercise: just started, not really sure yet

Favorite Primal food: bacon, eggs, avocado

Best part about being Primal: discovering new foods, especially vegetables

Worst part about being Primal: feeling like there is 'nothing to eat'; beating my cravings/food addictions

AvalonShell is offline Junior Member
    I feel a bit awkward. Not used to 'replying to threads'. Here goes ...

Location: Sydney (well Avalon on the Northern Beaches), Australia

How primal am I?: I started Paleo about six weeks ago. I had amazing results in the first 3 weeks but then got a bit de-railed but remain Paleo/Primal perhaps 70% of the time. Biscuits and chocolate and my greatest undoing.

Do I consume dairy?: Yes. I have a coffee with breakfast, which starts as a long black but is made palatable with a splash of (ok maybe 1/4 cup) of full cream milk. I am suprisingly ok with giving up the yogurt, cheese and icecream (most days).

Do I drink coffee or tea?: Yes. I drink coffee (2 cups a day on average). Have tried so many times to get into tea, but so far, not a fan.

Motivator for switching to Primal: I like the structure. I still need to work on keeping disciplined on filling myself on the good stuff (meat and vegies) so I don't go rushing to the easy treats (like the gluten free bikkies). Paleo was life changing in that I did not suffer a single headache/migraine/hayfever attack the entire time I was on Paleo. I ate a bread roll after three weeks of strict Paleo and soon found myself grumpy (thanks to a shocking headache), tired and with sinus allergy symptoms. I've not eaten bread or pasta since (but for two times when I've had family dinners and no desire to explain the theory behind Paleo). Primal seems doubly appealing as I'm reasonably well adjusted to Paleo eating but have been a little lost regarding a fitness routine. Having found this site and Mark's books, I realised I'm almost there. I have about five kilos to lose. I just want to get there and to stop fluffing around the edges.

Favourite exercise: Flamenco dancing. Kickboxing.

Favourite primal food: Korean BBQ anything

Best part about being primal: It's a permanent part of life, not a six week programme

Worst part about being primal: It sounds weird and totally contradictory but I never realised how food (wheat and sugar) affected me (migraines, allergies, lethargy etc) until I went Paleo/Primal. Now that I know, I begin to wonder whether ignorance was bliss as I walk past my local French patisserie or even the confectionary section at our local grocery store.