Page 525 of 621 FirstFirst ... 25425475515523524525526527535575 ... LastLast
Results 5,241 to 5,250 of 6208

Thread: Obligatory forum Introduce yourself thread page 525

VeraBlue is offline Junior Member
    Shop Now
    Hi there!
    51 year old restaurant owner/chef from New Orleans! I do eat dairy, but am trying to keep it raw. I love meat, fish, vegetables, etc...and try to keep with the program 100%. I do know that when I do cheat, it's going to be for pasta...something I've been eating since I had teeth.

Happycamper is offline Junior Member
    Your location: Baghdad Iraq, with US State Dept.

Age (If you want): 46

How Primal are you: Just getting started

Do you consume dairy: No

Do you drink coffee or tea: Herbal tea once in a while

Motivator for switching to Primal: Have struggled with my weight and health for years. Was googling around and came across this. Have been eating this way for almost a week now and can say I see a difference.

Favorite exercise: Swimming and yoga

Favorite Primal food: All of it. Eating without guilt is devine

Best part about being Primal: Energy level and lack of stomach pain

Worst part about being Primal: Still trying to find my place with the workouts. I have back and shoulder injuries that raise their heads when I do certain things, most of the things asked for in Primal. Would be interested in any suggestions from others. Pull ups and push ups almost cripple me same with lifting heavy things. Any and all input welcome!

Off Duty is offline Member

56 and loving it!

After lurking here for several months, reading and absorbing everything I could, I figured it was time to step up and say hello!

I have found the PB and MDA to be my "go to" place for motivation, inspiration, and information.
    The success stories have never failed to inspire, and the information and recipies have helped keep me on track when things became mundane.

The short version (yes-this really is the short version. I've never been accused of being short on words):
    I am a retired LEO here in Florida, former member of the military reserve community, and now the owner (or they own me!) of two (2) businesses which keep me pretty much on the go.

Long time martial artist and an old school "gym rat" who had let himself go for various reasons (excuses).

5'8"
    Formerly: 252# (October 2012)
    Currently: 200# (today).
    Age (If you want): 56

How Primal are you: About 85-90% now. Previously about 90-95%, and going back!

Do you consume dairy: Yes. On occasion I may use a little cheese in my otherwise Paleo omelets, a small amount of low fat sour cream with the internal makings of a fajita (minus the bread), and on the rare occasion that I have coffee, I usually use a small amount of half & half cream.

Do you drink coffee or tea: Rarely drink coffee. Tea usually consists of herbal teas such as Samurai Chai or Green Tea.
    The rest of the time, it's water with lemon or lime.

Motivator for switching to Primal: Several, not the least of which is my 7 year old live in granddaughter. Since her dad decided not to remain (or even really enter) her life, I knew that I needed to be around for her. She's a ball of fire, and absolutely loves her "papa", and he's going to try to be around for a long time!!

Additionally, I was feeling like crap most of the time, and knew it was time for a change. The loss of several close friends my age, and watching others near my age that "appeared" to be in relatively good health, have multiple by-pass operations, strokes, etc., was a real eye opener!

Favorite exercise: Sex...what!? that doesn't count?
    Aw, ok, of you're going to be that way, then I guess I would have to say deadlifts and rowing.

Favorite Primal food: I can't really say! I've come to enjoy so many foods that I would have previously never even considered! I haven't really found a favorite yet, but the experimentation is great!

Best part about being Primal: Of course the weight loss, but aside overall added health that it has given me.
    As one of the above members stated, I have had stomach issues for as long as I could remember. Certain foods really tore me up, and some would literally double me over (so why eat/drink then you say? Good question!)

Since going Primal, all of those issues are GONE! and I feel fantastic!

Also, the clarity of thought and focus, the renewed energy levels, and new perspectives the associated levels of fitness and appearance have given me, are worth their weight in gold.

Worst part about being Primal: I went "cold turkey" primal in October 2012.
    The most difficult thing at that time, was getting past the doubters, that saw the lifestyle change as just another passing fad.

Aside from that, the ridiculous cost of organic foods was and still is a bit prohibitive, but as I have mentioned to others.
    While the cost of food is high, the cost of health care is considerably higher!!

As far as the training goes, I'm still a "newbie" when it comes to PF.
    I was a crossfitter for about 6 months, until an old military injury reared it's ugly head and took me out of the game for a bit.

At present, I have lost 50# (+/-), and have witnessed increases in muscularity and endurance, that I haven't seen since my late 20's and early 30's. Furthermore, I've seen definition in my body that I've NEVER seen!

I attribute the definition and overall increase in health, directly to the PB way of life, including the crossfit style of training.

Unfortunately, I met with an ortho-doc yesterday, who reviewed an MRI of my left shoulder, and diagnosed the persistent pain as a rotator cuff tear.

Great!
    So now I have the pleasure of dealing with right knee (thanks to the military), left shoulder, and lower back (law enforcement injuries) pain!!!

Oh well, it's just more motivation to, as my old DI used to say, "Deal wid it!":D (yes, his words, not a misprint).

I don't consider it a hindrance, but instead, an "opportunity."
    An opportunity to modify my training, to try something different, and to be able to be an example to others in a similar position.

It's an opportunity to prove that, while "life ain't always kind", it is what it is, and you learn to adapt.
    I will continue to look to, and lean on MDA and the PB for guidance.

I look forward to being an active and supportive member of the "family."

Thanks Mark!!!

Gordon
    Last edited by Off Duty; 05-22-2013 at 05:27 AM.

Off Duty is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Happycamper View Post
    Your location: Baghdad Iraq, with US State Dept.

...Worst part about being Primal: Still trying to find my place with the workouts. I have back and shoulder injuries that raise their heads when I do certain things, most of the things asked for in Primal. Would be interested in any suggestions from others. Pull ups and push ups almost cripple me same with lifting heavy things. Any and all input welcome!
    We have a lot in common.
    Hang in there and you'll see the benefits much sooner than you thought possible.

As for the workouts, there are options.
    I realize that you're in the sandbox, but do you have access to a pool?
    If so, try some water based resistance exercises to build strength, endurance, and tone.
    Building the muscle and strengthening the tendons around the area, while keeping the actual weight and pounding/pulling stresses off of the muscle and joints.

If not, try some resistance bands.
    They are cheap, and come in a variety of resistance levels.
    Hell, if you can't find a set somewhere, contact me, and I'll send you mine!
    I'll go back to Wal-Mart and get another set.

Find something that gives you a moderate amount of resistance to start, and work your way up, paying close attention to form and range of motion.

At the very least, stick to body weight exercises (squats, etc.) and very light weight, and build slowly.
    The one thing I had to learn early on in Cross fit, was to check my ego at the door.
    I had to realize, that I too had nothing to "prove", to anyone other than myself, and started scaling the workouts to fit me.
    You sound like you may be in the same boat.

If the PF workouts hurt, don't do them for now. Modify your exercise routine until you build up to them.
    Take it slow and build. What you accomplish at that rate, will likely remain with you.

All the best and thanks for your service to our country.

OD

FeedmePrimal is offline Junior Member
    Your location:London

Age (If you want):A sprightly 31

How Primal are you:Very, I started about 2 months ago and am still on the newbie high

Do you consume dairy:I sure do

Do you drink coffee or tea:Yep, black and black

Motivator for switching to Primal:I wanted to get fit, have more energy and enthusiasm for life. It just felt right when I read about it

Favorite exercise:Um, I am about to start doing Crossfit next week so I may have to get back to you on that one

Favorite Primal food:Chicken liver, fennel and greens. Not the most glamourous foods in the world but they hit the spot every time

Best part about being Primal:Feeling in control and having steady energy. It has also made me feel that life is there for the taking again

Worst part about being Primal:Occasional sugar cravings, and having to explain myself to people that don't agree (but I guess I shouldn't even try really)

bull is offline Junior Member
    Your location:Midlands, UK

Age (If you want):21

How Primal are you: Most of the time 100% - however recently had lots of (cardio, oh dear) training for triathlons. As a result Ive been eating appallingly!

Do you consume dairy: Trying to avoid it at the moment

Do you drink coffee or tea: Black coffee, herbal & green teas

Motivator for switching to Primal: Increased enegry levels, healthier relationship with food

Favorite exercise: As a triathlete it should be one of the three disciplines - but I love circuits. And running in fields.

Favorite Primal food: On the bone meat, bacon, coconut, salted almonds

Best part about being Primal: Increased energy, knowing my body will give out what I put in - Goodness!

Worst part about being Primal: I struggle with sugar cravings, particularly around extensive training. However I am reducing the amount, in attempt to go fully primal. Its also difficult when going to dinner parties/family occasions!

Oak
    Oak is offline Junior Member
    My Location: Maine, USA

My Age: 54 Male

I'm 100% Primal right now. Just started yesterday. My plan is to stay as Primal as possible.

I can take or leave dairy

I do drink coffee - Black

I am switching to Primal because I feel like I'm well on my way to being a fat boy after being athletic most of my life. 6'4" and 235 pounds as of yesterday morning. I don't want to flab over my pants as I am now and I'd love more energy.

I have a treadmill and weight machine in my basement. Used to play volleyball, basketball, etc., but only sport now is Curling during the winter. Physically I'm a train wreck due to a lot of things, but constant pain is part of my life. Knees don't let me run much, but I'm trying.

Favorite Primal food: So far all I've eaten yesterday and today is Steak and eggs scrambled in lots of butter. Have to go with that I guess.

Best part about being Primal: I'm going to get my junk food addiction behind me and lose maybe 20 pounds of fat and get my clothes fitting again. Probably also will lose some of the chronic pain.

Again, I only started this yesterday, but the worst part is that I can't convince my girlfriend that I'm not nuts. Although she did call this morning to say she's going grocery shopping and did I want her to pick up anything special.

I'm a sales rep and my life is either at a desk or driving around New England, so I'm going to learn to make some adjustments.

Thanks for all of the forums, I'm piecing this together.

Oak

deirdre628 is offline Junior Member
    HI all!
    I am living in Berkeley, CA

in my 40s...barely!

Primal for 8 days now

Yes, I consume Diary and am trying to figure out how that exactly fits in

Yes for coffee and occasionally tea

I have been looking for a better way to lose weight, maintain it, be healthy- and saw a friend of mine who looked GREAT and he has been doing this for about a year...ALso, I have been reading THe Omnivore's Dilemma and this seems like a natural progression...

Exercise: Yoga, walking, lifting, rowing

Fave food....meat and red wine??

Best part so far is NOT COUNTING points...although i am keeping track of everything using my Fitbit to get a sense of exactly what I am eating....THe other, is that this seems so natural and easy.

Worst- not sure yet...I love baking so that may be a problem

thanks!

teddythecat is offline Junior Member
    Your location: SF Bay area

Age (If you want): 22

How Primal are you:maybe 80%

Do you consume dairy: a little cheese, a T of half and half in my coffee, and occasionally yogurt (once a month?)

Do you drink coffee or tea: both

Motivator for switching to Primal: I made the terrible mistake of trying a vegan diet and after 3 months I had absolutely zero energy, was hungry all the time, continued to have IBS symptoms, had lost no weight, and became very deficient in B12. It was fun. Then I learned about this diet from my uncle (an MD) and read Gary Taubes and a few others.

Favorite exercise: I truly have not found a type of exercise that I enjoy other than walking. I do strength training, but that does not mean I like it!

Favorite Primal food: anything coconut, prime rib

Best part about being Primal: finally feeling like I am a healthy person, having energy, and losing weight

Worst part about being Primal: having to explain to people over and over again why it is OK to eat whole eggs for breakfast!!! I am so tired of being told my cholesterol is going to go up. If I don't know the person very well, I just try to end the conversation, but if it's a family member or close friend, let the debate begin!!

Chlorofyl is offline Junior Member
    Your location: The Netherlands

Age (If you want): 16

How Primal are you: Around 90%

Do you consume dairy: Yes, some cheese, yogurt and butter.

Do you drink coffee or tea: I drink some tea everyday.

Motivator for switching to Primal: I started eating this way because I wanted to be healthy. I had eczema all over my body and I was very self-conscious about my weight (although I wasn't fat at all). Now my eczema is gone and I have more self-confidence, though I'm not there yet. I want to get more strength, being stronger.

Favorite exercise: Yoga, doing handstands, walking.

Favorite Primal food: Bacon, eggs

Best part about being Primal: The food is lovely, I am becoming healthier and healthier, I feel great!

Worst part about being Primal: Family and friends think I'm really weird for eating like this. But actually I don't really care about that .