Page 508 of 638 FirstFirst ... 8408458498506507508509510518558608 ... LastLast
Results 5,071 to 5,080 of 6374

Thread: Obligatory forum Introduce yourself thread page 508

aliphian is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by imahotcaveman View Post
    Worst part about being Primal: The lack of support from friends and family. Unfortunately, most people aren't willing to change their ways, or don't believe there's anything they can do. Also explaining to people why you choose not to eat certain foods, and they're like "but whole grains are healthy." Kinda frustrating...
    Welcome! I feel for you on this last part. I am lucky that my wife is behind everything I do. I told her that we should try this primal thing and she said a-ok. Of course, I am expected to do most of the work since it was my idea!

firetiger is offline Senior Member
    Hey everyone!

Your location: New Orleans

Age (If you want): 26

How Primal are you: Not super strict. I have eliminated processed foods but will never eliminate fruit. I think life is about maintaining a balance. I live in New Orleans so I still like to go out with my friends and have some drinks. I try to stick to a natural, low sugar cider or red wine.

Do you consume dairy: I try not to but will occasionally.

Do you drink coffee or tea: both

Motivator for switching to Primal: I have already lost 40 lbs after living in Peru for two years and wanted to continue a healthier, more natural lifestyle. I suffer from major depression and anxiety so I am hoping limiting processed carbohydrates will help regulate my mood. I also hope it might clear up my eczema.

Favorite exercise: burpees & yoga (mind body & spirit)

Favorite Primal food: bacon & eggs

Best part about being Primal: I feel a lot less bloated. I don't own a scale (would become too obsessed) but people have asked me if I've lost weight. I feel healthier and empowered that I can make healthy decisions.

Worst part about being Primal: I wish I could buy everything organic, grass-fed, etc but I am a poor masters student so I try my best on a smaller budget. It's also difficult to find portable snacks (my go-to is nuts). Going out with my friends is tough because I love to drink socially and am not willing to give that up. Keeping everything in balance.

zoeamy is offline Member
    Your location: Australia

Age (If you want): 32

How Primal are you: Grok reincarnate... Just kidding. I'd say almost there, but I'm still learning.

Do you consume dairy: Yes.

Do you drink coffee or tea: yes, tea

Motivator for switching to Primal: Health primarily, but I'd like to lose weight/ get fit the whole shebang. I don't believe in processed foods anyways. I ate something processed and my stomach hurt for the whole day and that was the last processed thing I ate... That was a week ago!

Favorite exercise: Sleeping counts, right? No probably bush walking.

Favorite Primal food: Coconut cream, vegetables, I'm not really a big meat fan. Salmon.

Best part about being Primal: Knowing that my food is healthy, and knowing where it comes from.

Worst part about being Primal: eating out and not *wanting* to eat anything on the menu because I'll feel crappy afterwards.

dkJames is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zoeamy View Post
    Your location: Australia
    Worst part about being Primal: eating out and not *wanting* to eat anything on the menu because I'll feel crappy afterwards.
    Hey! I have fixed that one: now, I am "fasting out", haha

MountainQueen is offline Junior Member
    I'll attempt to fix when I can get on computer/ anyway its a women doing crunches and the caption says "I don't work out to burn calories. I work out so that when the day comes for me to leap across train cars, climb burning buildings, and duel with the bad guys, I can do it ALL." Heh

aliphian is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MountainQueen View Post
    I'll attempt to fix when I can get on computer/ anyway its a women doing crunches and the caption says "I don't work out to burn calories. I work out so that when the day comes for me to leap across train cars, climb burning buildings, and duel with the bad guys, I can do it ALL." Heh
    Darn straight! Also you don't want the sugar shakes when you are trying to make a 25yrd shot with a pistol. Being primal means being prepared for anything (within reason).

robneville73 is offline Junior Member
    Your location: Rock Hill, SC

Age (If you want): 39 (dreaded 40 a few months away)

How Primal are you: Just starting my grok-transition but plan to avoid grains, tubers and refined sugars

Do you consume dairy: Yogurt, butter, some aged cheeses (small amounts)

Do you drink coffee or tea: Nope but in the process of breaking a Diet Coke habit right now.

Motivator for switching to Primal: Long story... I have a family history of very bad cardiovascular disease with a long standing history of males in our family not living to 50. My father now in his 70s has already had quintuple bypass surgery in his 50s and that was after multiple angioplasty surgeries. The doctors caught me early on as high risk for coronary disease and I was probably one of the youngest people to go on statins (in my 20s - no joke). I was also schooled in the CW diet at the time of fats == bad (except poly-unsaturated were actually touted as OK - sheesh), whole grain == good etc. Over the years the drugs kept my blood tests more or less in-line but I steadily got bigger (until I now weigh in at a way too big 250 at 6") and the results steadily got worse as I got older until last year, I had to seek a cardiologist who finally did a very detailed blood analysis...what it revealed was very interesting to me. It revealed that I was borderline pre-diabetic and that while my numbers weren't great they weren't bad, except when you looked at particle sizes...that's where I was in big trouble down the road. He stepped up my statins and I immediately started having adverse side effects. My undergraduate degree was in molecular biology so I decided to study the issue....from there I discovered "The Great Cholesterol Myth" where many of the same things about the evils of insulin spikes and inflammation are the enemy not cholesterol etc. That lead me to more research on diet and exercise and the one source that seemed to dovetail the best with my research was the Primal Blueprint. I have since changed my diet dramatically, started supplementing and stopped the statins...though I still take a baby aspirin each morning.

Favorite exercise:
    Martial Arts

Favorite Primal food:
    Eggs...I LOVE eggs and feel like now I have permission to enjoy one of my favorite foods

Best part about being Primal:
    Only been eating primal for a bit here but I've already noticed that I don't "bonk" in the afternoon's anymore and I'm NOT hungry.

Worst part about being Primal:
    So many darned recipes call for tree nuts which I'm extremely allergic to...it gets annoying

Double G is offline Junior Member
    Your location: East Rockaway, NY

Age (If you want): 28

How Primal are you: I started about 5 months ago and am about 70% primal at this point

Do you consume dairy: Yes in small doses

Do you drink coffee or tea: Yes

Motivator for switching to Primal: I wasn't feeling great and knew that my diet/lifestyle weren't helping. I heard Mark do an interview on a radio show and was intrigued. After spending hours reading articles on MDA I was hooked. I am a very logical and science based person and the ideas of PB just clicked with me. I didn't want to eat healthy just because. I wanted to know why certain things are healthy or not. CW never gives you more than the comic book version of diet/health. PB makes common sense and scientifically.

Favorite exercise: Playing lacrosse

Favorite Primal food: Steak obviously

Best part about being Primal: Being able to eat good food guilt free. Not feeling like I have to gorge myself like I used to. Knowing that I am actively pursuing my own good health. Improved energy. Looking better. Becoming a pretty decent cook. Constantly learning.

Worst part about being Primal: Almost anywhere you go out to eat automatically includes some carbs/starches with the meal. Takes time to prepare your own food (but it's worth it)

Happy Hippo is offline Junior Member
    Your location: Temecula CA

Age (If you want):40

How Primal are you: 80/20

Do you consume dairy: yes

Do you drink coffee or tea: absolutely

Motivator for switching to Primal: lose weight, feel and look better.

Favorite exercise: walking

Favorite Primal food:steak

Best part about being Primal: not feeling hungry all day long

Worst part about being Primal:trying to explain this lifestyle to friends

GreenInTahoe is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Your location: Lake Tahoe

Age (If you want):

How Primal are you: Moderate for just having heard about it. Salad's my usual supper (lunch too, most days). I'd say 75% of my food purchases are one-ingredient items.

Do you consume dairy: organic yogurt and cheese.

Do you drink coffee or tea: occasionally both.

Motivator for switching to Primal: First thought: the world is switching to the way I eat! But looks like there's lots to learn on this site.

Favorite exercise: most frequent: cross-country machine in the gym. Favorite: hiking in the mountains.

Favorite Primal food: steak.

Best part about being Primal: What's that yell Tarzan used to do?

Worst part about being Primal: You say I'm supposed to move around slowly? I only learned to ski this January, and I just love flying down the slopes we have out here!