Results 5,051 to 5,060 of 6300

Thread: Obligatory forum Introduce yourself thread page 506

ChangeLife is offline Junior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Hello,

I'm from Northern California
    Almost 51--female
    Just started PB a week ago
    yes I consume a small amount of dairy--cream in coffee once a day. Small amounts of Parmesan cheese
    Coffee in mornings 1cup usually, occasionally 2 throughout the day, I've started drinking large cup of decaf green tea in the evenings to help me not munch at night
    I need to lose 150. I've been morbidly obese for about 23 years now. Have lost n gained on several diets, but have reached a point in my life that I'm scared of the health risks my weight poses. I'm short of breath from minimal exertion, my legs n feet ache n I feel overall lousy most of the time, uncomfortable in my own skin I'd say.
    I can't exactly say I have a favorite exercise, but with this amt of weight, walking is about the only thing I can do, although I don't get much of it either besides what I need to do to get through the day. I do janitorial work n feel like hauling around this much weight while working is exercise enough at this point, I'm hoping I will start feeling so much better soon that I'll be more motivated to go for real walks soon.
    Best part of PB is the ease of doing it, even when away from home.
    worst Part-Trying to be balanced with it. I still don't really understand how many calories approx should make up my food intake for the day. I know that will definitely have a large part in my losing n while I don't expect to lose it overnight, I would like to see a steady loss to stay motivated to continue.
    I need to learn not to be an "All or Nothing" type person n if I fall short to just get right back to it and not feel like I might as well go off all the way.

Any suggestions on getting off to the best start appreciated, thanks!

Baleagh is offline Junior Member

Age (If you want): 53

How Primal are you: Brand new

Do you consume dairy: milk, cheese

Do you drink coffee or tea:coffee w/milk

Motivator for switching to Primal: Survival. Have had 2 heart attacks and fought weight and depression all my life

Favorite exercise: playing with my dogs

Favorite Primal food: prime rib

Best part about being Primal: we'll see
    Worst part about being Primal:

Question for the community: None yet

Manglor is offline Junior Member
    Your location: Moncton, NB, Canada

Age (If you want): 31

How Primal are you: More and more, baby steps...

Do you consume dairy: Yogurt and small amounts of cheese

Do you drink coffee or tea: Both. A lot.

Motivator for switching to Primal: It makes sense to me.

Favorite exercise: Very heavy deadlifts and squats

Favorite Primal food: Nicely marbled cut of grass-fed beef.

Best part about being Primal: The very...alive feeling you get...mental clarity, energy, strength.

Worst part about being Primal: Reprogramming my life from a few years of bad decisions.

awok677 is offline Senior Member
    Your location: UK – the South West

Age (If you want): 48

How Primal are you: Probably about 85% diet-wise. I avoid all grains, legumes and nightshades. As I'm losing weight I'm also not drinking and it turns out dairy is the source of my acne, so it's pretty much meat, fish, eggs and veggies. But since I don't have unlimited resources, it's not all organic or free-range, except for the eggs, and bacon is a daily breakfast component.

Do you consume dairy: No. I tried clarified butter after a few weeks when my skin was clearing up and it prompted an immediate flare-up of acne.

Do you drink coffee or tea: Both. Lady Grey and Lapsang Souchong to start the day, with fruit tea later and decaffeinated or low caffeine coffee. Until I gave up the dairy it would be PG Tips Decaff as too much caffeine gives me palpitations.

Motivator for switching to Primal: Knowledge. It made sense when Dr Atkins explained the basics of fat and protein digestion vs carb digestion in his book, but when I read that, it was just about me losing weight. Now that I can see and have some understanding of what grain can do to someone's health over a lifetime (my father has Alzheimer's), it's much more serious than that. Based on my parents' lifespans I reckon I have another 40 years or so and I want to get the most out of it!

Favorite exercise: Probably badminton. It's a bit like an early video game. You've so focused on keeping the shuttlecock off the ground you really don't notice just how much you're moving until you stop. I actually enjoy 'catch' of any variety, but currently have no one to indulge with.

Favorite Primal food: Probably belly pork, though I'm partial to scampi and whitebait … and winkles.

Best part about being Primal: Knowing that I have control over what I'm feeding myself and that I understand what my body does with it.

Worst part about being Primal: Definitely watching friends with health issues who think what I'm doing is a 'fad' diet and CW is right. I've told them what I'm doing and why, but I have to leave the rest up to them. I'm hopeful that as I continue to lose weight and gain health, they'll wonder if there might be something in it for them. I think at the moment they're all waiting for me to give up or make myself unwell. Or they tell me that different things work for different people.

Black_Diamond is offline Junior Member
    Your location: Sydney, Australia

Age (If you want): 24

How Primal are you: Been doing this with the occasional relapse for about six months. Recently I decided if I give myself one cheat meal a week where I just eat whatever craving I haven't been able to shake all week I will avoid relapses. I still have Natural WPI protein post workout, but this is because I had so much left over and didn't want to give away my open packets, I am not going to buy any more when I run out though.

Do you consume dairy: I still have organic full fat yoghurt (I am scared to entirely give up dairy because I worry about not getting enough calcium). I guess WPI is dairy too.

Do you drink coffee or tea: I have never been into coffee. I do drink Rooibos tea and occasionally drink green tea.

Motivator for switching to Primal:I was always very skeptical that my energy will be poor if I ate primal (I'm a Rock Climber and I have an extremely intense resistance training program) anyway, I tried it, I felt great, my body was at its best.

Favorite exercise: Pull Exercise Pronated Grip Pull Ups, Push exercise dips, legs front squat, Cardio high intensity interval training

Favorite Primal food: Wild Salmon

Best part about being Primal: How you feel

Worst part about being Primal: Eating Out or on the go (let's face it sandwiches are pretty convenient, especially at a crag)

Paleo-MotorcycleMama is offline Junior Member

Cool I have my LIFE back!

Hello,
    I am new to the forums, but not MDA. I've been lurking a bit. I am busy, so don't get as much time to read as I would like. I find the computer can be a big black hole that consumes time and energy I could be using to get outdoors...so I don't know all the ins and outs of forums (Fori?)
    I live in Southern New Mexico, USA.
    I am (just) 53.
    I started primal living on March 2, 2013, after a few months of lurking, and lots of exploring sites. In an odd way, this is FINALLY getting back to the way we lived on the farm when I was a child, except for the no grains thing. We ate lots of biscuits!
    I am still learning about primal/paleo so I can't answer the How primal are you ?question too well. I eat NO grains and soy only by accident, lots of fat, meat, meat, meat, and some fruit on occasion. Having spent a fortune on an expensive bag of whey protien powder, I still eat it when i am really rushed in the morning, though it has a few ingredients like soy lecithin which i don't want to eat. When its done, i will buy some primal fuel for this purpose if I can afford it. If not, I will use straight whey.

I do eat pastured cream, pastured butter, and cheese from pastured cows. I make my own milk based kefir. I was in the middle of trying to convince my husband that raw milk is better for you, and getting a cowshare. I miss the raw milk from my past. BUT, since reading more on primal eating I may just skip it. Some of the allergy reduction and immune system benefits I sought from raw milk have already happened since I cut out grains. My son is nine, though and loves milk, so I probably will continue the fight or buy a cow!

I come from the land of the ETERNAL Iced tea pitcher, and have been a coffee addict since I was a tiny kid. My "meemaw" always kept a pot BOILING on the back of the stove. However, since I have changed my eating habits, I have gone from a POT or two a day of coffee and bottomless iced tea when we eat out, to a cup of coffee or so a day and water all the time.

My motivation for primal? At 53, I have a nine year old son and last fall I wasn't sure I was going to live to see him reach his tenth birthday. His daddy and he need me and want me around, and nothing was helping! I am ashamed to write all this, but I have/had fibromyalgia, arthritis, chronic fatigue, hypertension, horrible allergies, migraines, chronic pain, IBS, swelling, bloating, stomach cramps, chronic diahrreah, stress, irritability, a truly Horrific beginning of menopause, adult ADHD, hypothyroid, hypoglycemia, clinical depression, obesity, slow wound healing, apnea, sleep disturbances, a history of eating disorders including anorexia, dysmorphia, and bullemia, and a whole bunch of other issues.

We have eaten no boxed or junk foods for years and years. Frankly, it is expensive, tastes like crap, and I prefer to cook anyway. BUT when in a hurry, broke, or exhausted our fall back foods were pasta, rice, couscous, and local hole in the wall Mexican restaurants. Homemade tortillas are still tortillas, right?

My favorite exercise right now is wrestling on the floor with my son and husband, who still can't believe that I can DO that without excruciating pain. Also walking, running (or as close as I can get right now) with the first grade class I work with, and horsing my monster hog around. Believe me, a 750 pound motorcycle is exercise when you are only 5 3. I add something new every day, and one of these days I will get back to being the jock i used to be before it all fell apart. Some people have flying dreams, but I dream of RUNNING again, of backpacking,longdistance motorcycle rides, dirtbiking, rockclimbing, bicycling, sailboarding, weight lifting, horseback riding, slack rope, surfing when on vacation, martial arts, fencing, and tennis. Now when I wake up I can smile and say I am getting one leap closer every day. Getting our giant poodle off his butt and out for a walk is great too!
    There is a difference--as a teenaged OCD jock I did chronic cardio to the point of bleeding feet-- the scale, my warped body image and calories ended up ruling my life, and I starved myself till I would faint, then gorge because my body and spriit was craving sustenance. My obsession ended my life as an athlete and almost cost it altogether. Now I just want to move, dance and PLAY!

My favorite primal food-- all of it! coconut oil! bacon fat! MEAT~! FRESH VEGETABLES~~~ 100 percent cocoa chocolate!
    Wild salmon!

Best part about being primal- ALL OF IT. Maybe the very best is NO FOOD cravings or hunger except for honest hunger. No sudden hypoglycemic moments where I am shaking and about to pass out if I don't get my blood sugar up quick, followed by a "carb coma". In one month I have lost 2 pants sizes. I am still leery of the scale since I was its slave for so many years, and every time I see a swing up or down I freak out-- so I just don't weigh too often. ENERGY!
    Menopause has paused! No hotflashes, no night sweats, on a normal menstrual cycle for the first time in my life! Happiness!
    Playing with my son after school instead of begging for a nap before i had to cook supper and crashing afterwards too tired to even read a book. Blood pressure normalized on meds for the first time in years, and slowly dropping the dose-- I hope to zero. No migraines! No stomach issues! Ideas! Dreams! energy! Leading the first graders in a jog! Not exhausted after backing my motorcycle out of a parking space! The list goes on and on and I am on ONE MONTH and a couple of days and my daily pain factor has gone from a constant 10 to a 1 or even nothing for the first time since I was a toddler. Allergies are totally GONE!
    Depression: GONE! I am at peace even though I am in a really stressful phase of work right now and doing two people's jobs.

Worst part of being primal== None so far. It is hard to explain to people. Eating out is challenging and I still have to do this a couple of times a week with job/family. I am more assertive about asking what is in foods and requesting substitutions. I haven't "Cheated" (as a former anorexic and chronic dieter I hate that word) except for a glass of wine once with dinner. It was great and I still only had 85 carbs for the day. Salt intake is hardest in restaurants, because that is there even when I get them to leave out the soy, sugar and grains.

If I never lost another pound I would consider this an incredible sucess story, but I keep losing and improving my health. Now I am seeing that my son and husband are slowly adding more and more primal foods and cutting out the grains. My son (Tall, thin, and naturally "cut" said "Gee mama, I don't need to lose any weight but I am going to have to quit eating grains so that I can keep up with you. I can't "win" anymore when we wrestle." My neolithic biker husband won't say anything, but I noticed he cut out the bread and pasta so i am feeling really good about the changes in our house.

Can't wait to submit my success story some day when I can get both legs into one former sized pant leg.
    Last edited by Paleo-MotorcycleMama; 04-06-2013 at 09:11 PM. Reason: spelling issues, sentence fragments and confusion

Mitch is offline Member
    Good luck and don't get discouraged by the inevitable small setbacks. Stay focused and the changes will be steady and dramatic.

UBstaring is offline Junior Member

Finally going primal...

I am sorry, I posted twice. Removed message.
    Last edited by UBstaring; 04-08-2013 at 12:13 AM. Reason: Double post, i'm sorry

UBstaring is offline Junior Member

Finally going primal...

Hi, I'm new here! I do not consider myself Primal yet, but I am on my way to become Primal. I have been reading on this site before, and I felt drawn to the lifestyle. When I was a little girl, (a little bookwurm, very weak, and I really hated sport and moving) I liked to do (play) things 'that make you strong'.
    I still have that feeling, I think it's in the same category as carrying around my swiss knife, and reading the SAS handbook. I wanted to be prepared for ... Well, whatever could be around the corner. Ironically I always have been a person with a lot of pain and diseases (I have had a bad back since I was 7yo, always had pain in my stomach and intestines so running (school) really hurt so much that I often cried from the pain it caused. I always had the feeling that there was a couple of stones in my belly, that rolled over when I did some sports or tried to run) (in fact I think that i've had fibromyalgia all the time, even as a child I was very stiff and always in pain, I have never been able to touch the floor with my fingers!)

Fast forward: though I had been a very tiny and lean girl, I started to gain weight after my children were born. And a few years ago, when we had some problems, I gained weight even faster. When my weight was 80 kg, (and me being only 1.66m) I decided to do something about it. That was two years ago. So I did Weight Watchers online, and lost 17 kg. I did it not the usual way, (with light products or eating ricecrackers all the time), I ate nuts and butter and cream and full fat yoghurt. I made sure I didn't go above my daily points, but I always wanted to eat real foods.

All the time I received MDA newsletter and I read on MDA now and then. I thought it was interesting, but, you know, I couldn't afford to buy all organic meat, or live without bread .... I baked my own wholewheat bread and that was irresistable good!

September 2012 I did a 'sugar challenge'. Didn't eat sugar for one month. That is: I gave up after three weeks, because I felt sick (feverish, weak, cold).

Then I found out about a book 'Wheat Belly' I read the reviews on Amazon, and how people got rid of their pains by quitting wheat and sugar, so I decided to give it a try (again). This time I quit sugar and wheat, because I hoped that the fibromyalgic pains and stiffness would go away.

And after two days I realised that quitting sugar and wheat is one step closer towards a primal lifestyle, and once again I read and read and read on MDA, and my plan changed: i will have no sugar and no wheat for one month, and when the results will be fine, I will quit grains, and legumes also. That was almost four weeks ago.

So far I'm flabbergasted. My chronic backpains are gone. My stiffness is gone. I have lots of energy. This time the 'low carb flu' lasted only three days. I wake up early and exercise for half an hour.(!) Two days ago I worked in the garden and normally that would have been followed by one week of feeling sore and having musclepains. Now... Yesterday I felt so good, I worked in the garden again! And today, 06.50 I was ready for some exercise. I am amazed by myself.

What surprises me is that quitting both sugar and wheat, is easier than just quitting sugar. I think the wheat makes you crave sugar. Now, I don't crave sugar at all.

So i definitely will go primal now. Finally.

The Questions:
    Your location: The Netherlands

Age (If you want): 38

How Primal are you: started 3 weeks ago by quitting sugar and wheat

Do you consume dairy: a little

Do you drink coffee or tea: green tea only

Motivator for switching to Primal: the successstories that spoke of less pain in joints and muscles

Favorite exercise: squats

Favorite Primal food: any food. Vegetables, eggs, nuts.

Best part about being Primal: indeed: no more pain! I forgot to mention that I always have had severe menstruation pains, too. And this time, wow, I didn't even have to lie down ... I just could do everything, walking the dog, doing the chores around the house...life is so much better!

Worst part about being Primal: the nightmares in which I eat sugar before I know it, and then regret it very much.

dkJames is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Your location: Denmark

Age (If you want): 38

How Primal are you: not sure ... mostly I would say

Do you consume dairy: butter / ghee, aged cheese and occasional whipped cream or crème fraîche in cooking.

Do you drink coffee or tea: both, coffee in morning, green or rooibos tea during the rest of the day

Motivator for switching to Primal: my and my wife's health were going the wrong way ...

Favorite exercise: moving in general (walking, running, biking, skating, swimming, etc), not a fan of any particular exercise

Favorite Primal food: eggs / bacon - fish and and fatty meats - organs (especially liver) but I like all those with a good amount of veggies / occasional berries and butter - all grass-fed / organic.

Best part about being Primal: feel great and it fixed most of our health issues, even my wife's decade long hormonal issues!

Worst part about being Primal: misunderstanding from close circle of non-primal family or friends, especially since we adopted the one meal a day eating schedule. We don't care too much though because we do feel excellent
    Last edited by dkJames; 04-08-2013 at 02:53 AM.