Page 494 of 638 FirstFirst ... 394444484492493494495496504544594 ... LastLast
Results 4,931 to 4,940 of 6373

Thread: Obligatory forum Introduce yourself thread page 494

Lispott is offline Junior Member
    Lisa

Your location: Colorado

Age (If you want): 58

How Primal are you: beginner as of yesterday

Do you consume dairy: yes, Greek yogurt and cheese, half and half for coffee

Do you drink coffee or tea: yes

Motivator for switching to Primal: I want to loose weight, feel better, have more energy, play with grandkids

Favorite exercise: hiking

Favorite Primal food: filet mignon

Best part about being Primal: simplicity and stable blood sugar

Worst part about being Primal: living in a carb filled world and friends not understanding this "crazy" thing we are doing!
    Last edited by Lispott; 03-03-2013 at 07:45 AM.

Lispott is offline Junior Member
    I just read your post. Very interesting! I enjoyed hearing about how this eating style has helped you! I have many similar health issues! I am wondering about the gelatin? Could you explain what benefits it has, or refer me to a website?

Quote Originally Posted by Glenview View Post
    Greetings MDA! I have been a lurker reading everything I can find on the internet since January, but now I need to connect and receive feedback and accountability which is hard for us hypothyroid folks who like to be hermits.

I am 54, and started Intro GAPS in January when I suddenly couldn't eat anything without severe stomach cramps and migraines which were centered in my spine. I lived on homemade stock and boiled veggies. After the first week I started making fermented vegetables and yogurt from raw milk. I started taking aloe vera and drinking cabbage juice on the assumption that my stomach issue was an ulcer. My stomach progressively improved, and I realized one day that I hadn't taken Advil in over a week. I started taking expensive refrigerated probiotics, but they make me bloat, but I finished the bottle.

By the end of week two I was very hungry and started eating the BAB. I ate all day for several days until I stopped being hungry. I gained a few pounds, but I believed I needed to get past the craving thing. Once I felt too stuffed to ever eat again, I started a more reasonable plan. During this time I also got the flu (the real one with fevers and all) as well as the carb flu. I took Epsom salt baths and it helped tremendously. I did have to give up coffee due to the ulcer, which was easier than I expected since I drank straight espresso in quantity. I kept up the BAB, and added a BAS at lunch. I wasn't always hungry for the lunch, but generally didn't eat it until 2 or 3 anyway. I chose not to skip lunch because I often don't get home from work until after 7:30.

In the third week I started a Leptin reset. A couple nights I have had to eat a late dinner, but kept it light. I turn down the lights and sleep like a log. This is a new experience. I have even begun to wake up with my mind fairly clear, and get out of bed willingly. I wanted to do CT as well, but couldn't work it into my schedule. My daily commute is 30 to 50 minutes one way, so I stopped wearing a coat and started turning on the A/C in my car during the commute. My hands and face get pretty pink, but it gets easier. My reasoning is that in a cold climate, humans usually get cold hands and feet when they venture out into the weather while trying to keep their core from freezing. I do believe this has kick-started a higher metabolism for me.

I am hypothyroid and borderline diabetic. My family has diabetes and high blood pressure, and fibromyalgia. I am probably the healthiest of them all, but I gave up bread, potatoes, grains and rice long ago. But not chocolate. :-).

I have had two apples and some blueberries in the last month, but no other fruit. This morning at an event I ate three slices of melon and regular bacon with sulfites and sugar in it. During the last week I have had cheese at least three times. I did not feel good after the cheese, and today I have joint pain and a headache. I used to get headaches from sulfites, so I always buy uncured bacon. I am not drinking milk anymore, but I do put a spoonful of homemade yogurt on my food sometimes, and I love raw kefir.

I have lost some weight (don't have a scale) and my clothes are getting loose. This is impressive since the only way I could lose weight in the past was on hcg. My top weight was 185, but I was at 165 when I started in January. My goal weight is 135, but I would be happy if it were less. Hmmmm, I also drank a little coffee this morning, and I know it is an inflammatory, so may be part of the pain I am feeling. It used to increase my pain level in the past. Oh, and I have taken to putting gelatin in my soups or teas. It helps my hormones and my sleep like nothing else ever has.

My treats are bulletproof peppermint tea, frozen homemade yogurt with pumpkin and cinnamon and nuts, or a mug of heavy gelatinized homemade broth with a big scoop of yogurt and herbs.

My goal is to establish a lifelong regimen of nourishing food and stress reduced lifestyle. My new employee remarked the other day on how relaxed I seemed when we are faced with a huge amount of work with a looming deadline. I smiled and sipped my fat tea.

Thank you to all of you who have contributed to this site, and thanks to Mark! You are turning my life around so that I can be fruitful and joyous!

nictracy is offline Junior Member
    I have been looking into Primal/Paleo since July 2012. My husband, who has no problems with weight, was willing to give Primal a try in September 2012. We were doing well at about 70:30 split until the holiday season rolled around. 5 months later and well I feel out of control, emotional, and blah! I need a change!

Your location: SE Missouri

Age (If you want): 32

How Primal are you: Shooting for 90/10

Do you consume dairy: raw milk/yogurt

Do you drink coffee or tea: occasionally

Motivator for switching to Primal: Mood swings that effect my family

Favorite exercise: Hiking (when I can), I am going to tackle my diet first, then add exercise.

Favorite Primal food: Carne Adovada

Best part about being Primal: Great tasting food!

Worst part about being Primal: Sugar cravings in the beginning

Glenview is offline Member
    Hi Lispott, here is one link that references hormones, stress, and using gelatin as a supplement. Natural Stress Relief by Balancing Stress Hormones

I've never interacted in a forum like this, so I'm not sure if it's ok to just cut and paste a link like this. If you're an avid reader, both Ray Peat and Dr. Jack Kruse talk about gelatin being beneficial in diabetes and for hormones in women. They both tend to blog in marathon mode IMO, but as I love the written word, it is a fun challenge to extract the gems I'm seeking to use in my own pursuit of health.

The important things I know are that gelatin helps my sleep, it helps my overall pain level, and it seems to smooth out my hormone issues. If I take too much, I get a mini TOM headache, but it is not the raging migraine tempting me to commit homicide.

I stopped taking Sam-e when I started this journey, thinking it might be part of my stomach issues, and I thought I could stay off it with taking the gelatin (the Sam-e helps my sleep as well). But last week I found my thoughts going into pity party mode, and I started taking it again. It pops me right out of that mindset. I'm not sure if the depression is a hormone issue, or a thyroid one, but it is one of my battles.

irish1113 is offline Junior Member
    Your location: San Antonio, TX

Age (If you want): 34

How Primal are you: As new as you can get. I'm starting this today, 3/4/13

Do you consume dairy: a little full fat dairy

Do you drink coffee or tea: no

Motivator for switching to Primal: I want to get fit and healthy. I'm also starting this with my 8 year old daughter who has adhd.

Favorite exercise: Running!

Favorite Primal food: beef jerkey, or mixed berries drizzled with cream.

Best part about being Primal: The success story at the end of this journey.

Worst part about being Primal: Trying to get my husband on board.

meggo2002 is offline Senior Member
    Your location: Kuwait/USA

Age (If you want):28

How Primal are you: Almost one month in and loving it

Do you consume dairy: Very little cheese- maybe once a week a small portion in an omelette.

Do you drink coffee or tea: Very little coffee--- some green tea every now and then.

Motivator for switching to Primal: My dad started and loved it, plus lost a lot of weight, which he hasn't done in a long time!

Favorite exercise: Zumba, Body Combat (kickboxing)

Favorite Primal food: Berries and nuts!

Best part about being Primal: More energy throughout the day (no 2:00 slump!) and feeling satisfied after a meal.

Worst part about being Primal: I do miss cheese.... I don't miss how dairy makes my stomach feel, though!

I have done Weight Watchers for years and was stuck. Since changing to Primal, my skin is clearer, I am rested in the mornings when I wake up, I don't get stomach aches and I can see a change in my body. I have lost about 6 lbs since starting this way of life, however, I have already lost inches. I finally feel satisfied after a meal, rather than munching or snacking all day long.... I have found that for me, a good breakfast and large lunch (with some nuts for a snack, or berries, or veggies, etc.) and a snack for dinner is best for me on my current schedule (asleep by 8 pm, awake at 4 am). I love MDA's website and this is a fabulous place for support!

krystal2lite is offline Junior Member
    Your location: Raleigh, NC

Age (If you want): 33

How Primal are you: I am very primal. I eat only organic naturally occurring foods. I do not consumed processed, artificial or genetically enhanced foods. I do eat some gluten free oats.

Do you consume dairy: I LOVE cheese so yes I consume dairy. Since I have become gluten intolerant, I have significantly reduced the amount of dairy I consume.

Do you drink coffee or tea: I cannot drink coffee, it makes me sick. I drink all types of loose leaf homemade herbal teas including green, earl grey, black and chamomile tea. I do not drink prepackaged tea in tea bags.

Motivator for switching to Primal: I was sick with random issues for about four years including a constant headaches, digestion and bloating issues, fatigue and a low immune system. When I developed a skin rash, they suggested I go gluten free and all my symptoms cleared in just one month. I would still randomly bloat and be sick so I kept a food diary and discovered that if I eat anything artificial, containing artificial dyes, natural flavoring ingredients, anything NOT occurring naturally in nature, makes me sick.

Favorite exercise: I love all types of exercise. I am not much of a long distance runner. I love playing softball, tennis, soccer, volleyball and kickboxing.

Favorite Primal food: steak

Best part about being Primal: Feeling healthy and "normal."

Worst part about being Primal: I have to cook most everything I eat. I have not always been much of a green thumb but I have finally able to grow a garden and harvest most of what I plant. It is still a learning process for me.

Space Cheetah is offline Junior Member
    The Questions:

Your location: South Mississippi

Age (If you want): 33

How Primal are you: 100%

Do you consume dairy: Yes

Do you drink coffee or tea: Tea

Motivator for switching to Primal: Insulin resistance, obesity, PCOS (infertility), and ZC was too restrictive

Favorite exercise: Swimming, roller skating

Favorite Primal food: Sashimi

Best part about being Primal: Not being hungry + weight loss + playing and walking instead of "exercising"

Worst part about being Primal: Non-Primal people - trying not to offend them in social situations, etc.

PrimalBelle is offline Junior Member
    The Questions:

Your location: Atlanta, GA

Age (If you want): 41

How Primal are you: Currently reading PB, and just getting started.

Do you consume dairy: No

Do you drink coffee or tea: Both

Motivator for switching to Primal: It’s time to shed the rest of this weight!

Favorite exercise: Walking, yoga, & swimming

Favorite Primal food: Steak!

Best part about being Primal: I’ve done Atkins in the past and wanted to go back to a low-carb lifestyle because it works. Primal just makes more sense, so I’m giving it a go. I’ve already noticed I’m sleeping more soundly, and don’t feel as bloated.

Worst part about being Primal: So far, so good!

Brionté is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Hello everyone. Call me Bri.

The Questions:

Your location: Atlanta, GA

Age (If you want): 20

How Primal are you: Beginner

Do you consume dairy: Yes

Do you drink coffee or tea: I am sworn off coffee, but do enjoy tea about once a week.

Motivator for switching to Primal: I want to be healthy (and losing weight is a bonus).

Favorite exercise: Soccer & Yoga

Favorite Primal food: Almond butter =)

Best part about being Primal: I love nuts. Any excuse I have to eat them is welcomed.

Worst part about being Primal: Meat in general. While I was never a vegetarian, I did drastically reduce my meat consumption when I began purchasing my own groceries. I really don't like to cook meat; unfortunately it is a major part of being primal. Let me just say, that I will still NEVER eat pork. About 50% of the primal recipes I have seen have bacon in them--No thanks!
    Last edited by Brionté; 03-05-2013 at 12:53 PM. Reason: Fleshing out my response a bit more.