Page 493 of 630 FirstFirst ... 393443483491492493494495503543593 ... LastLast
Results 4,921 to 4,930 of 6300

Thread: Obligatory forum Introduce yourself thread page 493

Beachman is offline Junior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Your location: Mankato, MN

Age (If you want): 24

How Primal are you: I don't know. I eat plants and animals and play a lot, and I enjoy learning things and doing stuff with other humans. Sex is fun. And.. I just ate a steak.

Do you consume dairy: Occasionally plain greek yogurt or some really good cheese, but I can't handle much.

Do you drink coffee or tea: Black, Decaf Coffee. I love it. Usually put Cacao powder and a touch of Coconut Oil in it. Its awesome.

Motivator for switching to Primal: My friend is a dietetics major and the fun part about college is you get to learn what your friends learn. The sad part is none of what he's (we've) been learning is taught in schools (yet). Thank you, Primal Team.

Favorite exercise: Anything with other people.

Favorite Primal food: Bacon or Ribs. Praise the Lard.

Best part about being Primal: I have never felt better. I believe that there is so much truth to achieving a sense of balance and slowing down, eating what your body needs, and just... a happy, more human life.

Worst part about being Primal: Trying to eat out with anyone, because so many people I love want to go out to eat, and there's nothing there to consume except more of the same garbage... and more money and... i just wish we could turn back the clocks and have the company be the emphasis rather than the swanky restaurant environment with the fancy processed goo on the plate. I miss the home-inviting rituals. (Come over to my place for dinner? I'm making Ribs.) Its sad how many times my closest friends and family have offered for us to go to a chain restaurant instead because it was less work, and they didn't want to "go home for the night." What happened to communal dinners? I barely got a taste of them when I was little, even, because we'd always hit McDonald's. I really miss being with humans at a dinner table. There's something special about that.
    Last edited by Beachman; 03-01-2013 at 09:06 AM.

Sarina1027 is offline Junior Member
    Your location: Federal Way, WA

Age (If you want): 52

How Primal are you: maybe 50% or so? just starting to adapt to the Primal way

Do you consume dairy: yes

Do you drink coffee or tea: coffee

Motivator for switching to Primal: age, weight, miss my vim and vigor

Favorite exercise: love workouts like P90 and BBL but my muscles and joints not so much. love to dance.

Favorite Primal food: Red Meat

Best part about being Primal: not sure yet!

Worst part about being Primal: realizing just how prevelant grains ARE in your diet even when you don't think you really overdo it much!
    Last edited by Sarina1027; 03-01-2013 at 12:33 PM.

wsh612 is offline Junior Member
    Your location: Midcoast, Maine, USA

Age (If you want): 45

How Primal are you: Newbie...still learning what that really means

Do you consume dairy: Yes

Do you drink coffee or tea: Yes

Motivator for switching to Primal: Tried everything else to moderate weight

Favorite exercise: Hiking, running, triathlons

Favorite Primal food: Protein, butter, protein, butter....

Best part about being Primal: Animal fat!

Worst part about being Primal: I think I'm going to miss really warm, soft bread and sugar

denzel711 is offline Junior Member
    Your location: USA, Michigan, Boyne city (Northern MI)

Age (If you want): 23

How Primal are you: Testosterone plugs my pores. Just got back from killing a tiger with a pebble.

Do you consume dairy: Heavy cream (bullet proof coffee), grass fed butter, unpasteurized cheese

Do you drink coffee or tea: Lots of bulletproof coffee, occasionally drink chai tea and other black teas

Motivator for switching to Primal:see below

Favorite exercise: Squats/leg press, rear neck military press, heavy dumbell rows

Favorite Primal food: Eggs/steak

Best part about being Primal: Once ketosis is reached, energy levels are high. still feeling like im screwing something up though due to a 15 pound weight gain from the first week to the end of the 5th week.

Worst part about being Primal: Weight gain thus far, see below!

First off, thanks for the website Mark, thanks for everyone who is reading this, I appreciate any input on the subject as health and fitness is my passion. Second, I would like to give a quick background of myself. I am 23 years old living in northern Michigan (Boyne city). I work as a personal trainer and manage at a gym and am avidly researching more about nutrition and fitness, as well as sharing ideas in classes and hope to be in med school at U of M within the next year.

In April of 2011 I weighed 305 lb, had smoked cigarettes for 6 years, and was in catastrophic health. At 21 years old, my risk of heart disease, diabetes and cancer was high to say the least. I decided to follow a HIGH CARB LOW FAT diet rich in fruit, vegetables, lean protein, and no processed food or liquids. No candy, no soda, only raw natural foods.. just low fat. In 8 months I was down 80 lbs, and lost 40 more in the following year. I seemed to be stuck at my new weight, and am very interested in cutting more in preperation for a natural fitness show. body fat % is upwards of 11-12% according to calipers. My weight before trying to reach nutritional ketosis was 179 and I am 5’10″.

Two months ago I decided to try nutritional ketosis by eating primal, high fat low carbs medium protein.. I found out about it while stumbling upon Dr. Peter Attia’s eatingacademy.com and reading the many AWESOME blogs on this site. Shortly after I heard “The Fat Burning Man” podcast. After 5 solid weeks of approximently 75/25 fat/protein ratio, and under 25g of carbs a day, I have gained approximently 15 pounds. I feel like I have grown slightly in muscle and strength, and have tested numerous times and AM in ketosis according to test strips. If I'm UTILIZING the ketones though I am unsure.
    My food consists of egg yolks/grass fed beef and cheese in the morning, “bulletproof” coffee, chicken wings and legs, steak, green veggies, nuts, avacados, cheese, and copious amounts of coconut oil, olive oil, and grass fed butter. Occasional spinach salads with olive oil and fresh veggies, and am starting to implement POST workout sweet potatoes for muscle recovery, which has decreased immensely upon starting this.
    I seem to be storing a bit of weight in the stomach (go figure). Vascularity in arms and shoulders remains the same, but am wondering if you can offer any advice or tips. I supplement with himalayan sea salt, potassium, magnesium, raw multivitamin, and fish oil. I religiously eat egg yolks and grass fed beef, veggies cooked in fat/butter/coconut oil, and eat about 2-3 times per day, only when hungry. I do 30-45 mins of cardio 5-7 times per week. I also do high intensity ,moderate – heavy, interval weight training 5 days a week. I fear the big “200″ and am at 195 right now. I am probably over-thinking it and haven’t given it as much time as I need to become “keto adapted” or "fat adapted" as I have read about a LOT.

If possible I would appreciate any tips you may have, and am aware of my selfishness of this post. Truly appreciate all you do for the paleo movement everyone . Lifts are up and down, endless (brain)energy, yet storing weight.
    From one caveman to another, thanks for any input

LorraineR is offline Junior Member
    Hello, my name is Lorraine and I was reading Dr. Terry Whals info and I ended up here!
    I have tried to follow the paleo diet but so far was not quite as motivated as I am now.
    I am going to learn all that I can because I have been diagnosed with PPMS, my two children need a Mom who will continue to be active with them and nothing will stop me from Learning how to change what I eat. I thought that I had RRMS when first diagnosed and now the neurologist is saying it is PPMS. Clearly I have the fight of my life to get through!
    My husband and my daughter are vegetarian so we already have been a family avoiding meat to a degree. I have taken LDN for the past two years and now it's time to get serious about my diet. For me it's difficult to say diet because I only weigh about 105 because I am petite so I just can't afford to lose weight. I want to gain weight but must find a way to do that whilst avoiding so many foods. My Natropath Doctor said that I have many food allergies so possibly if I can find a way to eat enough then I can fight my way back to feeling optimistic about my health! Looking forward to learning more!

RowdyTike43 is offline Member
    The Questions:

Your location: Oregon

Age (If you want): 42

How Primal are you: 80%

Do you consume dairy: Yes, in small amounts.

Do you drink coffee or tea: Both

Motivator for switching to Primal: I love meat, so this seemed the obvious choice for me.

Favorite exercise: Bicep curls

Favorite Primal food: Meat

Best part about being Primal: Meat and no brain fog

Worst part about being Primal: vegetables and no sweet tea (I was born in the south.)
    I am Paleo-man and bacon is my utility belt! To the steak-mobile!!!

RowdyT

karlawestbury is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous View Post
    In other forums I've been a member of in the past - at least for small communities - there's been a 'introduce yourself' thread with some questions that people can answer. I know that there are people reading this forum that are fully primal, partially primal, and are considering it. I thought that I'd put some questions together to cover these things just to get an idea of who's out there.

The Questions:

Your location: Houston, Texas

Age (If you want):60

How Primal are you: no grains, no sugar, grass fed beef....No wheat

Do you consume dairy:some raw cream,milk occasionally

Do you drink coffee or tea: yes

Motivator for switching to Primal: high blood pressure, am taking mild meds and it is under control with that but would like to get off. Fasting blood sugar 110 and I am trying to get it down to 80.

Favorite exercise: walking

Favorite Primal food: grass fed beef

Best part about being Primal: cleared some skin issues I was having. I think it was dropping the wheat especially.

Worst part about being Primal:
    can't tell if I am cheating sometimes when i eat out because I don't know what oils are being used. Worrysome

callison is offline Junior Member
    Your location: Mississippi

Age (If you want): 27

How Primal are you: Somewhat, trying to transition - at this time no wheat, sugar, grains, processed food

Do you consume dairy: cheese and yogurt, not milk

Do you drink coffee or tea: tea

Motivator for switching to Primal: tired of being a slave to food and cardio

Favorite exercise: barbell squats

Favorite Primal food: steak

Best part about being Primal: not obesessing constantly over every calorie

Worst part about being Primal: no ice cream

I have decided to go primal because I am a chronic dieter and overtrainer. I have followed a very low calorie diet for a long time and only continue to gain weight and be hungry all the time. It has led me into binge behaviors. I have avoided fat because I wanted to be able to eat more food. I have felt that my body has wanted me to eat fat for quite some time now. I realized yesterday when (as usual) I had thought about food all day and found myself resenting that I couldn't eat the skin on the chicken. I finally caved that evening and had a pork chop at my mom's house. It was delicious. When I got home, I realized I wasn't hungry and I hadn't thought about food for at least an hour. I googled "fat and satiety" and found Mark's Daily Apple. After reading some, I was sold. I have had enough of weighing every bite of food and spending hours per week on the treadmill. I can't wear five-fingers though because I have 2 toes webbed together. I do have a pair of merrell minimalists that I do love dearly.

MorganGirl is offline Member
    Your location: West Coast

Age (If you want): 38

How Primal are you: Day 3 and going strong

Do you consume dairy: 1 cup of milk, transitioning to almond milk, and a yogurt a couple times a week

Do you drink coffee or tea: coffee

Motivator for switching to Primal: auto immune diseases have made me decide to change the way I live. Hubby and I were eating sugar and carbs whenever we wanted, and my inflammation is high enough that I take anti inflammatories every day. I also have a wheat allergy I've ignored for years by taking 2 Zyrtek a day. I decided that going back to basics was the only way I was going to get my body "reset" to norm. Hubby is also on board to lose weight and try to get his health on track.

Favorite exercise: Horse back riding...pretty primal if you ask me

Favorite Primal food: nuts

Best part about being Primal: dare I say the fact that my plumbing is working better??

Worst part about being Primal: Groceries are more $!

Glenview is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Greetings MDA! I have been a lurker reading everything I can find on the internet since January, but now I need to connect and receive feedback and accountability which is hard for us hypothyroid folks who like to be hermits.

I am 54, and started Intro GAPS in January when I suddenly couldn't eat anything without severe stomach cramps and migraines which were centered in my spine. I lived on homemade stock and boiled veggies. After the first week I started making fermented vegetables and yogurt from raw milk. I started taking aloe vera and drinking cabbage juice on the assumption that my stomach issue was an ulcer. My stomach progressively improved, and I realized one day that I hadn't taken Advil in over a week. I started taking expensive refrigerated probiotics, but they make me bloat, but I finished the bottle.

By the end of week two I was very hungry and started eating the BAB. I ate all day for several days until I stopped being hungry. I gained a few pounds, but I believed I needed to get past the craving thing. Once I felt too stuffed to ever eat again, I started a more reasonable plan. During this time I also got the flu (the real one with fevers and all) as well as the carb flu. I took Epsom salt baths and it helped tremendously. I did have to give up coffee due to the ulcer, which was easier than I expected since I drank straight espresso in quantity. I kept up the BAB, and added a BAS at lunch. I wasn't always hungry for the lunch, but generally didn't eat it until 2 or 3 anyway. I chose not to skip lunch because I often don't get home from work until after 7:30.

In the third week I started a Leptin reset. A couple nights I have had to eat a late dinner, but kept it light. I turn down the lights and sleep like a log. This is a new experience. I have even begun to wake up with my mind fairly clear, and get out of bed willingly. I wanted to do CT as well, but couldn't work it into my schedule. My daily commute is 30 to 50 minutes one way, so I stopped wearing a coat and started turning on the A/C in my car during the commute. My hands and face get pretty pink, but it gets easier. My reasoning is that in a cold climate, humans usually get cold hands and feet when they venture out into the weather while trying to keep their core from freezing. I do believe this has kick-started a higher metabolism for me.

I am hypothyroid and borderline diabetic. My family has diabetes and high blood pressure, and fibromyalgia. I am probably the healthiest of them all, but I gave up bread, potatoes, grains and rice long ago. But not chocolate. :-).

I have had two apples and some blueberries in the last month, but no other fruit. This morning at an event I ate three slices of melon and regular bacon with sulfites and sugar in it. During the last week I have had cheese at least three times. I did not feel good after the cheese, and today I have joint pain and a headache. I used to get headaches from sulfites, so I always buy uncured bacon. I am not drinking milk anymore, but I do put a spoonful of homemade yogurt on my food sometimes, and I love raw kefir.

I have lost some weight (don't have a scale) and my clothes are getting loose. This is impressive since the only way I could lose weight in the past was on hcg. My top weight was 185, but I was at 165 when I started in January. My goal weight is 135, but I would be happy if it were less. Hmmmm, I also drank a little coffee this morning, and I know it is an inflammatory, so may be part of the pain I am feeling. It used to increase my pain level in the past. Oh, and I have taken to putting gelatin in my soups or teas. It helps my hormones and my sleep like nothing else ever has.

My treats are bulletproof peppermint tea, frozen homemade yogurt with pumpkin and cinnamon and nuts, or a mug of heavy gelatinized homemade broth with a big scoop of yogurt and herbs.

My goal is to establish a lifelong regimen of nourishing food and stress reduced lifestyle. My new employee remarked the other day on how relaxed I seemed when we are faced with a huge amount of work with a looming deadline. I smiled and sipped my fat tea.

Thank you to all of you who have contributed to this site, and thanks to Mark! You are turning my life around so that I can be fruitful and joyous!