Page 480 of 621 FirstFirst ... 380430470478479480481482490530580 ... LastLast
Results 4,791 to 4,800 of 6204

Thread: Obligatory forum Introduce yourself thread page 480

Kermit Lentil is offline Junior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Your location:Eugene, OR
    How Primal are you: Fairly, I definitely eat GF and almost always grain-free. Trying to better myself through knowledge of the real way food interacts with the human body.
    Do you consume dairy: Quite a lot, I make milk kefir and love cheese and heavy whipping in my coffee.
    Do you drink coffee or tea: Yeah, usually about 2 cups of coffee a day.
    Motivator for switching to Primal: My girlfriend did it after having digestive issues on the SAD and I was a lifelong DEVOUT pastafarian. I was very skeptical of this lifestyle because obviously nobody can survive without "healthy wholegrains" and "fiber". I used to pack down 12 Olive Garden breadsticks and have 3 bowls of cereal every morning, oh those were the days. After seeing my girlfriend's digestive issues resolve and consequently eating the same as her for the most part, I sort of slid into the primal lifestyle without realizing it. It wasn't until finding MDA and doing research for myself that I realized the science behind it, and loving it.
    Favorite exercise: Biking, basketball, shadowboxing.
    Favorite Primal food: Coconut/egg bread
    Best part about being Primal: Weight loss/muscle gain, becoming more aware of my health and nutrition overall
    Worst part about being Primal: Every now and then there's been that bread hankering...

Primal Primos is offline Junior Member
    Greetings and salutations! I am from Los Angeles, CA and I am 28 years young! I do not consume any dairy but do on occasion drink herbal tea/green tea due to the high anti oxidants. I switched to Primal because of all the dairy and gluten intolerances. I would have to say my favorite workout is a nice long run! My favorite Primal food is chicken and the best part of being Primal is feeling and looking great! Worst part of primal is missing out drinking with my friends!

niles is offline Junior Member
    Your location: Beaverton, OR

Age (If you want): 32

How Primal are you: Started in March 2012 but fell off repeatedly. Since then I've been grain-free and (mostly) sugar-free. Restarted last month including three weeks (and counting) of IF.

Do you consume dairy: Entirely too (lactose) intolerant to entertain the notion. Goat cheese, please.

Do you drink coffee or tea: Daily rations include coffee with a liberal amount of cinnamon, and black or green tea.

Motivator for switching to Primal: Sick of the creeping weight and stomach and facing the "fact" that it would only get much, much worse. I also wanted to explore the idea of feeling actual hunger and not just the persistent craving to eat constantly.

Favorite exercise: Barefoot running & shovelglove.

Favorite Primal food: Broccoli and (bleeding) steak.

Best part about being Primal: The constant energy. Not having to eat every two hours. Muscle definition for the first time in my life.

Worst part about being Primal: Watching people muddle through the SAD with no idea what they're missing. Oh, and missing good beer.
    Last edited by niles; 02-03-2013 at 07:55 AM. Reason: Punctuation, y'all.

AntonioCal is offline Junior Member

Obligatory forum Introduce yourself thread

Your location: Pittsburgh, PA

Age (If you want): 22

How Primal are you: I'd say ~95%. I work as a server in a brewpub so it's sometimes hard to avoid the occasional post-shift beer.

Do you consume dairy: Yogurt and cheese (mostly just aged gouda and pecorino romano) and sometimes goat's milk. Although I have done a 3 week no dairy phase and didn't see much of a difference, I may try it again.

Do you drink coffee or tea: I love tea and drink mostly green and herbal usually 1-2 times a day.

Motivator for switching to Primal: Over the past 4 years I've been in and out of shape (fluctuating between 180-205lb). I've done the chronic lifting and the running and occasional low-carbing but I wanted a permanent change. I gave the primal diet a 3-week trial and now I'm 5 months in and never looked back.

Favorite exercise: Playing (basketball mostly), yoga, anything bodyweight.

Favorite Primal food: Too many to name, I LOVE kale sauteed in pastured butter, anything with grass-fed beef really, butternut squash is fantastic, and I make a really good beef and veggie lasagna.

Best part about being Primal: The food, the energy, and of course the LGN aspect. Also I used to drink far too much (too often and too drunk) and now I drink maybe twice a month at most (not including a glass of red wine 2-3 nights a week).

Worst part about being Primal: Probably just that I don't have any friends/family that are also primal so I catch a lot of flack for not being "normal" and eating grains and not going out drinking as much. But my friends are slowly starting to realize I'm not going to change any time soon.

I'd love to find some other PBers in Pittsburgh for support so if you're in the Pgh area send me a PM!!
    Last edited by AntonioCal; 02-03-2013 at 12:16 PM.

brettstark is offline Junior Member
    Your location:Chicago, IL. Soon to be Australia
    How Primal are you: 2013. Somewhat. Main cheat is milk currently
    Do you consume dairy: Milk and some cheeses
    Do you drink coffee or tea: Both. trying to drink more tea.
    Motivator for switching to Primal: Getting healthier.
    Favorite exercise: Tennis
    Favorite Primal food: Still too new to this to be able to really comment
    Best part about being Primal: see above
    Worst part about being Primal: see above

juliagoolia82 is offline Junior Member
    Hey all~ My name is Julia and my husband, Chris and I decided to join this forum to help us on this journey. I'll post the info for the both of us below.

Your location: New York City

Age (If you want): 31

How Primal are you: Beginner- have not started, but gathering all the info we need to get us into the right path

Do you consume dairy: Julia: I usually drink my coffee with half and half. I am a cheese addict, and also enjoy Greek yogurt. I was a calorie counter/weight watcher points counter so I usually tried to avoid high fat/high calorie dairy.
    Chris: on occasion, enjoys a glass of 2% milk with cookies or chocolate cake.

Do you drink coffee or tea: Julia: Yes love them both
    Chris: just tea

Motivator for switching to Primal: Both feel unhappy with ourselves after gaining weight. Calorie counting, weight watchers, clean eating- tried them all but failed to see any difference with weight. We both have a desire to start a family, but feel that it's necessary to get into a heathy weight to do that. I am a carb addict. I grew up eating on an Asian diet, and also love Italian food. I feel really scared of the change, but in my heart know that I need to do this. Chris, also grew up on an Asian diet, but he never cared for rice or the other carbs. He is a total junk food junky. Loves his family bag of potato chips, and diet soda!

Favorite exercise: we both love strength training and also enjoy doing p90x workouts at home. Chris loves playing basketball too!

Favorite Primal food: Julia: any seafood and asparagus
    Chris: chicken and eggplant/asparagus

Best part about being Primal:Not sure yet...

Worst part about being Primal:Not sure yet.. Maybe giving up all the grains... :/
    Last edited by juliagoolia82; 02-03-2013 at 01:20 PM.

willowdarcy is offline Junior Member
    Your location: Portland, OR

Age (If you want): 34

How Primal are you: Not totally yet. I'm waffling between primal and Weston Price style eating. I might land somewhere in the middle. I like the primal lifestyle in general. I've been going barefoot for a very long time out of necessity, and probably because I spent my childhood barefoot. My feet hurt when I wear any kind of support in my shoes. Now I wear mocassins, vivobarefoot, and invisible shoes huaraches, or rubber soled gymnastics shoes when I can. Still looking for an affordable waterproof option for Northwest hiking in the winter.

Do you consume dairy: Yes, for now.

Do you drink coffee or tea: Yes, for now.

Motivator for switching to Primal: Pre-diabetic blood sugar levels, other symptoms of pre-diabetes, (It's still reversible! But diabetes isn't and I'm getting dangerously close!) sugar addiction, and an understanding about how toxic processed food is. And I just feel so GOOD when I eat real food. I love shopping in the perimeter of the grocery store, I love kale and a good grassfed steak. If I make a completely primal meal, sometimes I take a picture of my plate just because it's so beautiful and it makes me happy! Also, I'm about 60 pounds overweight, but it's more of a symptom of my overall problem than the problem itself.

Favorite exercise: Tae Kwon Do when I can afford it. Second bests: Bodyweight exercises. Hiking. Swimming. Fun kids games like capture the flag and tag. Ultimate frisbee.

Favorite Primal food: You are seriously going to make me choose? I love all of it. Kale to coconut oil. Wild venison to free range chicken. Raspberries! Ok if I have to choose, I'll say eggs. Fried in bacon fat, put over a bed of organic red kale with a yam or some spaghetti squash on the side.

Best part about being Primal: Having yet another excuse to embrace the cave woman in me.

Worst part about being Primal: Trying to explain it to other people. Avoiding gifts of sweets from other well meaning people. Also I'm not completely convinced that grains and legumes are bad. I've read all the articles telling me why, but haven't actually seen the definitive research. I'm not sensitive to gluten or anything, so I'm still on the fence. I'm doing my own N=1 experiment though, so we'll see. I might end up being soaked-legume and sprouted-grain friendly pseudo primal or something. We will see.

Hi Firechick! I'm new too, so I don't have a lot to say on primal diet, but I do have a lot of experience with adult acne. I had acne from the time I was 11 to about a year ago (at 33 YO), when I realized that if I washed my face with anything that sudsed up, any kind of foaming cleanser or anything like that, I would break out. I started, counterintuitively, to use oil based or cream cleansers and wash my face LESS not MORE, and be really sparing about acne meds, though oxy 10 directly on a pimple at night really did help. Now I don't have any acne at all, except maybe a single tiny pimple once a week or less. I also discovered that mineral powder makeup is the only makeup that doesn't make me break out (the makeup made for acne still made it worse!) It's just what worked for me, and it might be correlative, not necessarily what will work for you but you might try it! Soapy cleansers were irritating my acne! Also, acne can be an inflammatory response to an allergy. Try cleaning your face with coconut or jojoba oil and a damp washcloth, then moisturizing with a light moisturizer. Coconut oil has some really good antibacterial and healing properties. Honey is also good as a facial cleanser, and kills bacteria. Make sure you rinse it off. Hope this helps!

Quote Originally Posted by firechick0228 View Post
    A bit of advise-seeking real quick - since I started the program I have developed full-blown acne on my face. I've always struggled with it but it is BAD. I have been undergoing some changes with the hormone therapy, trying to get within the proper ranges (and hoping at some point eating primally my body will adjust its own levels) but the past 2 weeks are severe and very embarrassing. Advice please!
    Hi Jen! I'm new too, so I don't have a lot to say on primal diet, but I do have a lot of experience with adult acne. I had acne from the time I was 11 to about a year ago (at 33-34 YO), when I realized that if I washed my face with anything that sudsed up, any kind of foaming cleanser or anything like that, I would break out. I started, counterintuitively, to use oil based or cream cleansers and wash my face LESS not MORE, and be really sparing about acne meds, though oxy 10 directly on a pimple at night really did help. Now I don't have any acne at all, except maybe a single tiny pimple once a week or less. I also discovered that mineral powder makeup is the only makeup that doesn't make me break out (the makeup made for acne still made it worse!) It's just what worked for me, and it might be correlative, not necessarily what will work for you but you might try it! Soapy cleansers were irritating my acne! Also, acne can be an inflammatory response to an allergy. Try cleaning your face with coconut or jojoba oil and a damp washcloth, then moisturizing with a light moisturizer. Coconut oil has some really good antibacterial and healing properties. Honey is also good as a facial cleanser, and kills bacteria. Hope this helps!

CradlingaLion is offline Member
    The Questions:

Your location: Currently Icy West Michigan! lower peninsula

Age (If you want): middle to late twenties

How Primal are you: Still in the exploratory stage. Have been trying to eat whole foods and "more plants" for a long time now -- am also a recovering vegetarian -- but primal pulls together much of what has made sense to me. Plus, this site is so chock full of resources that I just wanna hang out here and learn

Do you consume dairy: I loooooove Greek yogurt, mostly like cheese, always take milk in my otherwise generally black coffee, but I only eat ice cream a couple of times a year.

Do you drink coffee or tea: I worked at Starbucks all throughout my college education and I still drink at least one cup of coffee daily. I only visit SBux a few times a month, though, anymore.

Motivator for switching to Primal: Inflammation in my body, including debilitating menstrual symptoms, slow-to-heal cold/flu, bloating, and aches. Particularly since starting a desk job 8 or so months ago

Favorite exercise: Walking, running, jumping, wrestling, and climbing in town or in the woods with my Saint Bernard/Newfoundland mix dog. I get so out of breath that I want to puke sometimes, but it feels like fun. And we can just simply walk around and it's great and enjoyable and healthy.

Favorite Primal food: Kitchen sink salads and beef jerky (IS beef jerky primal?? if not then BACON)

Best part about being Primal: I'll tell you in a month or so when I'm completely phased in. I refuse to toss out most of my carbs that I already bought, so it might take some time, but from what I hear, I'm not going to WANT to eat most of these carbs after a while. If they get stale I'll toss 'em;

Worst part about being Primal: I am an emotional eater, especially when I have access to processed carbs. I am scared that I will have the "I messed up; no going back now; eat up" mentality.