Thread: Obligatory forum Introduce yourself thread page 461

Cet
    Cet is offline Junior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Your location: St. Pete, FL.

Age (If you want): 26.

How Primal are you: 85-90%.

Do you consume dairy: Butter (for now).

Do you drink coffee or tea: 1 cup (black, no sugar) in the 16 days since I've started. It was finals week and I wasn't able to get good sleep the night before.

Motivator for switching to Primal: Sjogren's, asthma and an increasing amount of food allergies were zapping my energy and enjoyment of food. I was sick and tired of being sick and tired, and on my own had come to realize that bread products and the like made me feel like crap, so I started investigating. Primal/paleo is where I ended up.

Favorite exercise: Biking/squats/deadlifts (hard to pick one).

Favorite Primal food: Oxtail.

Best part about being Primal: Feeling the best I have, since I was 19: no pain after eating, energy like I've never had, a clear headedness I wasn't sure I'd ever have again, getting relief from food allergies, not getting hunger rages.

Worst part about being Primal: Hearing Conventional Wisdom spouted as truth over and over again.
    Last edited by Cet; 12-17-2012 at 05:41 PM.

leoyaus is offline Junior Member
    Your location: Oak Park, IL (suburb of Chicago)

Age (If you want): 55

How Primal are you: 90s%

Do you consume dairy: yes, some. Prefer raw when I can get it.

Do you drink coffee or tea: both

Motivator for switching to Primal: weight loss, seemed fascinating, I hunt and fish

Favorite exercise: shovelgloving

Favorite Primal food: bacon and eggs with butter

Best part about being Primal: looking better and feeling stronger

Worst part about being Primal: missing foods I loved; some small extra time required in shopping

SeaHorse is offline Senior Member
    Your location: Luxembourg, originally from Baltics

How Primal are you: Started on February, worked slowly towards it, don't cheat but could do with more exercise.

Do you consume dairy: Some 35% cream in my coffee and occasional cheese.

Do you drink coffee or tea: Coffee - yes, tea - almost never.

Motivator for switching to Primal: Always felt with my 6th sense that there must be something like this, now found it here. My childhood was pretty close to primal. Direct reason - being overweight.

Favorite exercise: Walking my dogs. Slacklining. Would love to ride a bicycle, but with 2 energetic dogs pulling it is a little too fast/uncontrollable for me. Coming from karate and horse riding.

Favorite Primal food: Pork, eggs, cucumbers, dills, mushrooms, leeks, carrots, raspberries, pears.

Best part about being Primal: Feeling like I am 18 again.

Worst part about being Primal: There is nothing wrong with primal, no looking back!
    Last edited by SeaHorse; 12-17-2012 at 02:39 PM. Reason: forgetfulness

LittleJohn is offline Junior Member
    The Questions:

Your location: Connecticut

Age (If you want): 63

How Primal are you: 50/50

Do you consume dairy: Yes

Do you drink coffee or tea: Yes on both

Motivator for switching to Primal: Some weight loss but mostly gain energy

Favorite exercise: Hiking

Favorite Primal food: Steak

Best part about being Primal: Steak

Worst part about being Primal:undecided

UFNut is offline Junior Member
    The Questions:

Your location: Melbourne, FL, USA

Age (If you want): 30

How Primal are you:
    I should mention I'm a noob, and still adjusting, about 2-3 months since I started my dietary changes (first month was more Atkins based - low carb). So my answer is..as much as I can be without driving myself crazy. I avoid grains, but I do on occasion eat legumes. I also eat potatoes and consume dairy. I buy grass-fed beef when it's w/in budget, but mostly buy the hormone-free grain fed option. I strive to be more primal, but it's tough this day and age. I'll admit to cheating with a piece of pizza on occasion.

Do you consume dairy: Guess I answered this above, but yes, I use milk & butter. I almost never drink milk though, primarily it's a complementary item such as in coffee or part of a meal. Though for cooking I tend to use coconut milk instead.

Do you drink coffee or tea: Daily. I'm drinking Irish Breakfast Tea right now as a matter of fact.

Motivator for switching to Primal: Because it's logical. Best way I can explain it. Doesn't hurt that I feel significantly better when I don't eat grains and limit my dairy. I also love the taste of grass-fed beef. I was already eating range free chicken and eggs, and wild caught fish like salmon.

Favorite exercise: Swimming ( though weight lifting & bodyweight resistance training are my primaries)

Favorite Primal food: Ribeye

Best part about being Primal: Feeling 10X healthier than before.

Worst part about being Primal: Cost of grass-fed steaks in my area.

Savagemalloy is offline Junior Member
    Seattle, WA
    Pretty much 100%
    Yes, I eat cheese, yogurt and butter, never milk
    Coffee a couple of black cups a day, Starbucks French Roast fresh grind and a couple of cups of green tea a day.
    Weight, health, stave off aging
    Strength training and now yoga (rookie)
    ARCTIC CHAR CHOWDER - from the recipe book. great on the 3rd and with the cream. Today I am adding sausage and shrimp.
    Best part about being primal, eating ribs, improving BMI
    Worst is the cost of Organic foods, but I notice more and more available.

Mantonat is offline Junior Member
    Your location: Colorado

Age (If you want): 45

How Primal are you: Mostly. I still drink beer and have occasional grain products when out with friends, but I cook most meals at home. No grains, legumes, vegetable oils, or processed foods.

Do you consume dairy: Yes. Full-fat Greek yogurt for breakfast a few days a week, and some cheese - mostly aged.

Do you drink coffee or tea: Daily coffee in the AM, with cream (pastured when possible). I just like it too much and I don't think it does me any harm.

Motivator for switching to Primal: Daily roller coaster of energy/lethargy. Too much body fat. Marginal blood pressure. I just felt like I was slowly drifting toward the dreaded metabolic syndrome.

Favorite exercise: Walking my dogs, hiking, gardening.

Favorite Primal food: Offal. I love meat and I love cooking, so coming up with new ways to eat good food is a ton of fun.

Best part about being Primal: My energy level is stable, I almost never get drowsy during the day, I sleep better, I don't feel bloated all the time, I've lost a little weight, and I feel like I'm doing something good for myself without taxing the reserves of my will power. Unlike what the doubters say, this is a sustainable way to eat and live.

Worst part about being Primal: I was going to say that avoiding desserts (sweet stuff and baked goods) is the hardest part, but that has nothing to do with being primal. No matter what lifestyle you lead or what diet you adhere to, empty calories are not a good thing. So having a sweet tooth is a lifelong struggle regardless of my new choice to go primal. What I've realized after 4 months though, is that I eat great food the majority of the time, so I'm not going to feel guilty if I have a slice of pecan pie after a Thanksgiving dinner, or a donut on the rare occasion that someone brings one in to the office. And if I get a wicked craving at home, I make a little "primal truffle" - 1tbspn cocoa powder, 1tbspn coconut oil, 1tbspn almond butter.

A few other facts: I've lost somewhere in the range of 15 lbs since July 2012. I still probably eat too much in a given day, but I feel better about my choices. I also struggle with getting enough exercise; I've done the whole gym membership routine, but it's not sustainable for me. Summers are much easier because of the extra daylight and the growing season. Any recommendations for upping the exercise level in the depths of winter in the city are greatly appreciated!

joyous73 is offline Junior Member
    Res firma mitacre nescit Once you got it up keep it up!
    I posted this in the wrong spot earlier today. But hey, I'm a newbie (: I'm on day two and had a blast clearing out fridge, cabinet and freezer in preparation last week. I purchased a Nesco dehydrator and it has been a nonstop festival of goodies. From fruit leather to Jerky to peppers I highly suggest anyone starting out or has considered it go get one. It's so easy my four year old helps and has a blast! A little about me athlete through college and one day I started gaining weight developing acne and could not figure out why until my exhusband and I wanted to start a family. That is when I was diagnosed with PCOS. So here we are years later and I still have not been able to get a grip on my weight or energy level. I had convinced myself the evening exhaustion was from work and being a single mom and doing P90x/Insanity at 4:45am every morning. Heck I gained additional muscle but never lost any significant weight. A hip injury gave me time to contemplate and research and that's when I realized it was my diet. Day one PB I had more energy than I have had in forever. I'm not exaggerating I was actually laughing yesterday and saying to myself I'm not tired. As I continue on my journey out of my carb and sugar coma, I ask for advice on the following. 1: Best multivitamin and or supplements for PCOS. I have read that we deplete certain things faster. Been down the metformin road not going back. More natural the better. 2: How important is tracking? I am currently using a carb app on my iphone it's ok but a lot of work. 3airy yes or no. I have decided to cut out all dairy except for butter to use in the pan when I make eggs for now out of fear it will keep me from losing weight. Is this a valid fear or can I welcome cheese back. Thanks to all that take the time to read my entry. SW:206.6 Height 5'7

lemontwisst is online now Senior Member
    Hello all,

The title of the thread says introducing myself is obligatory, so...here we are.

I've been doing my best to follow a Primal lifestyle since about May of this year, having gotten fed up with a higher protein/minimal carb/low fat plan I was following previously, to some success. I got to the point, though, where I would beat myself up for giving in to a craving for an apple (!) and that's when I decided to start looking for a better way. A friend who has had great success with transitioning to a Paleo lifestyle put me on to MDA and I plowed through the website, books and forums...and there is still so much information I haven't been able to get to.

My goal is to be as healthy as I can, period. I don't feel the need to be a size 2 or have cut abs or the tightest ass imaginable. Do I have plenty of fat to lose? For sure. But I know under that fat lies a strong body that I appreciate every day for what it does for me. I crave a healthy relationship with food, something I've never had as long as I can remember. I've been overweight since I was a child (first trip to the nutritionist at age 6!), hitting my highest weight of 344lbs at the age of 23, the day I underwent gastric bypass surgery. I absolutely do not regret choosing the path I did because at the time I felt there were no better options, but the years since then haven't been without struggle in some form or another.

I learn something new every day reading through what is posted here on these forums, and I will continue to do so, figuring out my path as I go.

On to the Q&A!

Your location: Calgary, AB

Age (If you want): 32

How Primal are you: I strive to be as fully Primal as possible, but still have kinks to work out...still need to sort out the fitness aspect - although I do work out (and enjoy it!), I still haven't started incorporating sprints and my workouts are less consistent than I'd like.

Do you consume dairy: Rarely - my current treat is a bit of Kerrygold butter now and again, which I had to smuggle home from overseas as it is! Once in a blue moon I will add some full fat cream to a coffee if I'm out (coconut cream is my go-to coffee add-in), and I won't pass up a bit of cheese now and again, but I don't keep it around.

Do you drink coffee or tea: A cup or two of coffee in the morning, herbal tea for the rest of the day (4 or 5 cups - rather tea than water).

Motivator for switching to Primal: It makes sense.

Favorite exercise: I love kettlebell work (not swings so much, as I have some spine issues) and am a huge fan of sledgehammer workouts.

Favorite Primal food: Hello, Alberta beef...? Steak. Gimme.

Best part about being Primal: Knowing that I am doing right by my body in by treating it in a way it's meant to be.

Worst part about being Primal: Trying to sort what's really best for me, because nobody's Primal journey is the same as anyone else's.

So, there we go...now that the intro's out of the way, I'm off to post a thing or two

NewGrayMare is offline Member
    Guess I'll add my own reply to this thread! After all, we need to get it to at least 500 pages

Your location: Ohio! Just moved to a different part of the state and am loving it. Former Colorado gal. I miss my mountains but love the humidity here.

Age (If you want): Not 30 yet! That comes next year

How Primal are you: Primal enough to be able to spell Quetzalcoatlus and say it correctly! Seriously though, probably about 95%

Do you consume dairy: YES! Milk and cheese and yogurt are delicious, amazing foods. Soon as I get a job, I'm buying into a herdshare so I can have raw milk

Do you drink coffee or tea: Tea only, no coffee. Peach Green Tea is my favorite, but I'm now in love with a vanilla green tea from Germany.

Motivator for switching to Primal: Cavities. I went to the dentist in November and he said I had five cavities and needed to get fillings. I said no thank you and went home to do some research. After reading Cure Tooth Decay by Ramiel Nagel, I started eating what turned out to be pretty primaly. I'm sticking to this and can't wait to show up to the dentist in May and show him a perfect mouth.

Favorite exercise: Walking, stretching. I'm not much of an exerciser and wish I would do it more often.

Favorite Primal food: Mushrooms!

Best part about being Primal: More energy, knowing I'm making myself strong and healthy

Worst part about being Primal: I miss my brownies. However, my coconut oil/cocoa powder/honey/vanilla fudge is a nice substitute when the chocolate urge must be satisfied.

So, there you have it! A quick intro about me. Now I think I'll go poke around the boards a little more and see what's up!