Motivator for switching to Primal: lose weight

Favorite exercise: heavy weights and some cardio

Favorite Primal food: BACON!

Best part about being Primal: lost 80+ lbs in 7 months

Worst part about being Primal: none so far, no cravings

crystalspin is offline Junior Member
    Your location: Orange County CA

Age (If you want): 53

How Primal are you: NOT. On day 5 of the 7 days of lessons (i.e. I discovered this website 5 days ago) and I have bought PB book reading on my Kindle.

Do you consume dairy: Yes, and I intend to keep doing so; but looks like I will be switching to full-fat milk. Wonder how it will taste?!! Have been drinking skim or 1% for 27 years...

Do you drink coffee or tea: Hot coffee (two cups per day) and iced green tea.

Motivator for switching to Primal: Two -- (1) cannot touch toes at 240lb/5'7", (2) want to challenge my mom: she quits closet-smoking, I lose 50 lbs... but I did not know how I was going to do it until five days ago!

Favorite exercise: I do not exercise. So it's going to be walking for a few (weeks? months?)

Favorite Primal food: Lamb. Cashews. Arugula. (whew, at least I love some of the good stuff!

Food I [will] miss the most: Basmati & Jasmine Rice. Hummus. Pasta including Couscous.

Best part about being Primal: See motivator question above.

Worst part about being Primal: No cookies? Maybe one small cookie if it has good things in it, AFTER I am fat-adapted?

This week has me breathless (no I'm not quite that out-of-shape -- I'm waiting for the next e-mail'd lesson or free moment to be reading PB or articles from this website). There are a few times in your adult life when you realize -- everything you thought you knew about some topic is WRONG. Reading Daniel Quinn's trilogy about 8 years ago gave me a couple of those, and this week is another.

Just wow. Whole grains and legumes are NOT what I need? Being half-vegetarian is NOT good for my husband's cholesterol reading?? I don't have to put on 5 pounds of fat per year for the rest of my life? And I don't have to join a gym and slog daily miles on the treadmill to get in shape?!!

I'm not even ready to go "all" Primal, but the first steps are SO EASY. Just cut out grains (and I love 'em, see above) and legumes and refined sugars, add meat every day. And walk. I can do that!

Ljforsyth is offline Junior Member
    Your location: Tampa Florida

Age (If you want): Old enough to know better... (44)

How Primal are you: Can you say "noob"?

Do you consume dairy: yes.. cream in coffee/tea, small amount of favourite cheese and yogurt. Stopped the milk thing because it didn't make sense and I am trying to eliminate all dairy.

Do you drink coffee or tea: Coffee in the AM and Tea in the PM. But having to give up sugar, I might have to give up coffee. I cry!

Motivator for switching to Primal: A part of me has always understood this .. mode? of eating.. I never have understood the low fat and fad stuff. As always a desire to be that much better off in my health is a motivation.

Favorite exercise: I just started cross fit. I am enjoying that and have an excellent trainer! I love to walk for miles. and miles. and more miles.

Favorite Primal food: Ummm.. let me think for a few.. oh yea. BACON.

Best part about being Primal: lighter eating - I don't feel like a bloated fool.

Worst part about being Primal: Restaurants ... I have little to no patience with this part. But hey, its cheaper to eat in. At least I know what I'm eating.. right?

Goals - to lose a small amount of weight and just be healthy as I age. I am watching so many people around me crumble as they age. I really want to enjoy my wisdom and experience!

Crissaegrim is offline Junior Member
    Your location: Orange County, CA

How Primal are you: I've fully committed to being primal.

Do you consume dairy: Rarely, the only time I do is when I order a double double protein style from In N Out Burgers.

Do you drink coffee or tea: Yes, I consume green tea fairly regularly. Sometimes coffee during a short term fast before a workout.

Motivator for switching to Primal: Not as much time to exercise during school so the Primal Blueprint was the answer.

Favorite exercise: Riding my bike. I also do my sprints on the bike as well.

Favorite Primal food: Korean BBQ

Best part about being Primal: Meats!

Worst part about being Primal: Constantly hearing from people how my arteries must be clogged or my cholesterol levels must be high.

Brandon is offline Junior Member
    Your location: Oconomowoc, WI

Age (If you want): 39

How Primal are you: No wheat and very limited sugar unless fruit. Only grain is corn once in awhile.

Do you consume dairy: Yes, butter and cheese.

Do you drink coffee or tea: Coffee with extra virgin coconut oil!! Mmmm.

Motivator for switching to Primal: Needed to loose weight and feel better. Seemed like the logical way to eat!!

Favorite exercise: Pushups and pullups

Favorite Primal food: Meat!

Best part about being Primal: No heart burn, no sore back in the morning, solid poops now, I can see my muscles again!!

Worst part about being Primal: Going out to eat sucks. That's why we don't do it much anymore.

Rags is offline Junior Member
    Your location: Indiana

Age (If you want): 49

How Primal are you: Guess 80-90% or more

Do you consume dairy: Only Butter, some cheese, and heavy cream

Do you drink coffee or tea: Tea

Motivator for switching to Primal: Lost both parents in the past 5 years. Gained weight between the death of one 5 years ago and the other a little over a year ago. Started Atkins about 11 months ago and evolved towards primal without realizing it and have lost 40 pounds. After I eliminated grains from my diet I was floored by the problems that went away. Found this website via videos of Mark talking by accident while watching videos of Fathead on youtube.

Favorite exercise: Don't have one yet, just started exercising about 3-4 weeks ago.

Favorite Primal food: Steak especially a nice well marbled one like a ribeye.

Best part about being Primal: Migraines gone, heartburn gone, allergies gone, arthritis gone, gingivitis gone, adult acne gone, and other great things. Feel good all the time. Energy level is up and constant and I am far more active. My stomach is almost flat and starting to see the six pack of 30 years ago.

Worst part about being Primal: Convenience of easy food or lack of for a busy random schedule. Wife is skeptical and when she cooks for the family there are times there is nothing for me to eat and must fend for myself. When I cook for the family which is 3-4 times per week she greatly enjoys the primal foods.

girlstarr1967 is offline Junior Member
    Hi everybody...I'm new, not only to the forum but also to Paleo/Primal and healthy eating in general. Go easy on me :-)

Your location: London

Age (If you want): 45

How Primal are you: Mostly. I still eat a few gluten free oak cakes each day and will occasionally have some brown rice but I am weaning myself off.

Do you consume dairy: No

Do you drink coffee or tea: No

Motivator for switching to Primal: I have recently had a food intolerance/allergy blood antibody test done with York Laboratories due to some major health problems. I have autoimmune disease issues (Hashimoto's Thyroiditis and Psoriatic Arthritis), lots of food allergies, leaky gut and am very overweight. My nutritionist suggested Paleo/Primal as a way forward because I am allergic/intolerant to nearly all the things NOT allowed on a Paleo/Primal diet. There are even some meats (beef and all poultry and eggs) that I react to. So currently, the only meats I can tolerate is pork, lamb and fish. I have also eliminated refined sugar and caffeine. I have been on this elimination diet now for nearly 6 weeks. I have lost 11 pounds so far. It's weird though because some days I feel great like the diet is working and then one day I will wake up and feel hungover and sick. I'm still unclear if this is detox or if I am still reacting to certain foods. I have just bought the cookbook and am looking forward to be completely grain free soon.

Favorite exercise: I've been sedentary for years due to my arthritis and illnesses...but I have started swimming, walking and hula hooping. I can't say I 'like' it yet...but I'm getting there :-)

Favorite Primal food: Garlic prawns and avocado.

Best part about being Primal: My skin has totally cleared up, the whites of my eyes are super white, I'm losing weight, I sleep better and people have told me I look radiant.

Worst part about being Primal: Getting my taste buds used to liking this way of eating. I come from years and years of eating junk food and I just quit it all cold turkey 6 weeks ago. The diet feels weird to me and kind of anti-social. So I'm still getting used to it. I know in my heart of hearts though that it is a good way to live so I'm sticking with it.

LeNeen is offline Junior Member

Obligatory Questions Answered

Your location:
    Alabama

Age (If you want):
    57-1/2

How Primal are you:
    Pretty much. Certainly at home, as I donít buy any rice, corn, grains, beans or peas, etc. I donít eat white potatoes but sometimes Iíll have a baked sweet potato. I follow Primal as much as possible when out at restaurants with friends.

Do you consume dairy:
    I havenít been able to give up yogurt; however, I do eat whole fat, plain yogurt, unpasteurized cheese and organic unsalted butter. I also use organic half & half in my coffeeówhich is only 1 cup/day.

Do you drink coffee or tea:
    As I mentioned, usually a cup of coffee each day, which I usually donít even finish. I also drink herbal and green tea.

Motivator for switching to Primal:
    I donít really know WHY I did it. I had a gastric bypass several years ago and have consistently hovered around the 150-153 point since then (down from 2357!). Back in January of this year I was on the internet looking for something and stumbled upon Markís Daily Apple. After going through the site and reading some of the postings I thought it sounded rather interesting; so I went into my kitchen and just took everything out that wasnít primal.

Favorite exercise:
    I have not gotten back to my exercise routine since back surgery last year, which was lifting weights and cardio. But I just re-joined my gym!

Favorite Primal food:
    Not really a favorite; however, I am eating more variety in protein other than turkey, chicken and fish. I've found a little place that sells goat meat, and I also eat bison. And bacon.

Best part about being Primal:
    Having lost more weight in a few months almost without even trying. I CANNOT believe that eating Primal was all it took to lose the weight. After about the first week I had clearly lost some; but it kept coming off. Iím down about 12 pounds!

Worst part about being Primal:
    Coconut, almond or flax breads I have made. I DO so miss good sourdough bread (although on the plus side, I don't have major drops in my blood sugar anymore). Also finding quick, easy meals to eat while flying out the door, when I havenít prepared anything beforehand.

Thanks,
    LeNeen

pamola10 is offline Member
    Hi, everyone. I am new, new, new.

I live in the Canadian Maritimes.

I am 56 years old, female.

I am NEW to primal eating,moving and thinking. However, I spent most of the last decade in low carb mode (Atkins) and recently discovered sensitivities to wheat, soy, and dairy. I know that I feel best with mostly vegetables and meat in my diet, and that fat satiates, and that I get binge-ey when I do eat sugar, wheat, and dairy foods. Of course I also get some pretty miserable gut symptoms that are better left unarticulated!

No dairy except butter, for some reason. I don't know why butter doesn't seem to bother me but I am VERY grateful.

Coffee or tea: yes and yes. Probably too much. I drink seriously black tea, a couple of cups a day, and coffee with cocoanut milk...it used to be a treat but now I am having it daily. So cutting back there would probably be a good idea but I am changing other things right now and I know better than to curb everything I like at once!

Motivator: Well, I have been reading a lot and also saw some photos from an Oprah website of a fatty omentum and a health omentum....and guess which one I want to have? I have gained some weight over menopause and poor eating in the last four years or so and want to get back to feeling strong and healthy.

Exercise: I like running but I am injury prone and cannot do as much as I would like. I ride my bike, (slowly) and walk a lot. I garden. I know that I need to do weight workouts but struggle to keep that motivation intact. My intention is to continue to explore this way of eating and moving, and to add weights back to the plan by the end of summer. I also need to add some sprints and watch out for too much long slow distance (you can tell when I learned to run....).

Best and Worst: Well, I'll let you know. I am too new here to have those things at the tip of my fingers. Although the worse thing about being wheat free is that my family still toasts some lovely bread in the morning and the smell of that still tempts me, though I am never tempted enough to actually eat bread. The consequences are too, ummm, unpleasant.

It is good to be here.

Bork is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    New to the site and forum, but have been doing primal since December 2011.

Your location: Delaware (middle eastern coast state in the USA)

Age (If you want): 48

How Primal are you: Completely

Do you consume dairy: No

Do you drink coffee or tea: No (tasted it... don't like it)

Motivator for switching to Primal: Anytime I eat something with sugar, I get headaches, dizzy, and other unpleasant "symptoms". Occasionally, it would include nausea, sweats, and (a couple times) momentary blackouts.

Favorite exercise: Ultimate Frisbee, volleyball, fencing

Favorite Primal food: A vegetable soup I make with an avocado mixed in right before I eat it.

Best part about being Primal: No headaches, dizziness, clumsiness, "wind", tinnitus, stiff joints, acne, etc. I feel normal and healthy. Oh, dropping 40 lbs was a bonus too.

Worst part about being Primal: Some truly bad nighttime calf cramps and all-day twitching calf muscles. Think it's affecting my quickness in sports. Need to figure it out or may have to reduce my primalness. They are that bad.