Page 234 of 620 FirstFirst ... 134184224232233234235236244284334 ... LastLast
Results 2,331 to 2,340 of 6195

Thread: Obligatory forum Introduce yourself thread page 234

MikkiB is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Hi everyone, I'm Mikki from Virginia ... some of you may remember me from last year, I was pretty active on the forums for a while as I got used to the primal lifestyle, then got busy with my dissertation and drifted away But I know I can do better (especially on the activity side of things!) and if I can waste 15 minutes a day on FaceBook, I can invest 15 minutes a day in Mark's forum!!!!!!

I'm 45 and found out that I'm gluten-intolerant last spring. I lost 40 lbs last year and have kept it off , but I'd be healthier if I lost another 20. I eat very, very little grains or carbs (with some holiday-based exceptions that my gut always pays for!). I am mostly dairy-free, although I'll have some shredded cheese every so often and (more rarely) a bit of ice cream. I have 2 cups of coffee every morning with Truvia and almond/coconut milk. My biggest dietary no-no is daily alcohol with diet ginger ale. I don't really want to quit, but I'd probably bust this plateau if I cut back!

I haven't been exercising except daily walking of about 1 mile to and from my parking deck. I've started adding random sets of crunches, planks, squats etc because I don't like feeling so soft.

My life is insane - I work full time in an intellectually demanding job, have 4 kids (6yo twin boys, 9yo boy, and 15yo girl), and am in my (hopefully!) last year of a PhD program in statistical genomics, studying the molecular mechanisms of liver cancer. I love everything about my life, but am chronically stressed out by how damn much of it there is LOL. I've been working on my dissertation for 5 years part-time and this is crunch time - I'm finalizing my results and starting to write chapters and it is time to push, push, push and get it done! I have a hard time finding the mental/physical energy to exercise - I won't say I don't have the time, because I surf the net while vegging out in front of the TV at night. And I could be doing squats while I fold laundry etc etc. I just don't

Anyway, I'm back because I love the community here and am hoping that I can find the motivation to tweak my life for even better health (physically and mentally) than I've achieved in the past 18 months of mostly-primal.

Jaysyn is offline Junior Member
    Your location: Manitoba Canada

Age (If you want): 31

How Primal are you: Brand new,(2 days in) however I am off grains, and working on reducing my dairy intake.

Do you consume dairy: Much less than I used to...however I am off Processed cheeses and eating mostly goat cheese now.

Do you drink coffee or tea: yes for the moment.

Motivator for switching to Primal: Weight loss at first, but after reading some of the "lifestyle" articles I can see myself Diving in completely.

Favorite exercise: Sprints

Favorite Primal food: Anything with Bacon!

Best part about being Primal: So far I just generally feel good about he choice.

Worst part about being Primal: No more Traditional Italian meals that and I live in a small town, finding grass fed beef is impossible!

sourieverte is offline Junior Member
    Your location: Brighton, Ontario, Canaa

Age (If you want): 42

How Primal are you: newbie

Do you consume dairy: yes for my coffee (milk)

Do you drink coffee or tea: coffee and some tea

Motivator for switching to Primal: need to change my eating and i know that carbs are my downfall

Favorite exercise: walking would like to start running again. Need to lose some weight first

Favorite Primal food: eggs and veg

Best part about being Primal: not sure yet still reading the book and in the transition phase

Worst part about being Primal: no carbs (bread, pasta)

Craig Almaguer is offline Junior Member
    [QUOTE=timconradinc;280]In other forums I've been a member of in the past - at least for small communities - there's been a 'introduce yourself' thread with some questions that people can answer. I know that there are people reading this forum that are fully primal, partially primal, and are considering it. I thought that I'd put some questions together to cover these things just to get an idea of who's out there.

The Questions:

Your location: Chico, CA (home of Robb Wolf, The Paleo Solution and Sarah Fragoso, Everyday Paleo)....though I don't know them personally.

Age (If you want): 43

How Primal are you: 60+ days in and living a 96% primal lifestyle (estimated guess)

Do you consume dairy: very limited, though we do a cow share and get raw milk and raw cheese....I'll do it on occasion (mostly the cream in coffee)

Do you drink coffee or tea: Yes, both. Coffee everyday (just dropped the cream, no sugar)

Motivator for switching to Primal: My recent knee injury triggered it in an effort to curb inflamation. Shortly after (about 4 days in) I realized I've been living with gluten issues for the past 15-20 years, if not ALL my life. Gas, bloated, puffy, 5-6 times to the toilet per day, tummy, reactions to fresh pasta (within 30 minutes), etc.

Favorite exercise: Soccer for competitive play, running a bit (five fingers), and now lifting crazy things and trying to create different exercises to push myself, some road biking (including my town bike for errands). I just tried stand up paddling too, fun.

Favorite Primal food: All of it!!!!

Best part about being Primal: Ask my wife! Moods are very stable. No picking fights like before (even during her time of the month). Alert, energetic, more positive than I can remember (like the college days when you didn't worry about much), sexual and hornier!

Worst part about being Primal: So far the positives WAY out weigh the negatives. I'm starting to see my 4 pack and hopefully by the Holidays, the 6+ pack! EVEN with my depressing knee injury, I'm simply not worried about possibly not playing soccer at a high level. In the end, I'm more vein than I realized and I just want to look good naked with the least amount of effort. Damn I'm lazy!

la cheena is offline Junior Member
    The Questions:

Your location: Sunny Miami, FL

Age (If you want): 33

How Primal are you: somewhat. I started CF in March and have tried to stick to Paleo at around 80% (fell off the wagon a few times...)

Do you consume dairy: not currently, but want to start back up with yogurt

Do you drink coffee or tea: both, tea with nothing but coffee with sugary cream or Starbucks (I know that's bad)

Motivator for switching to Primal: have seen the benefits when stayed on track with Paleo, really want to make the life change by going primal.

Favorite exercise: crossfit, yoga, paddleboard

Favorite Primal food: seafood and veggies

Best part about being Primal: not counting calories or portion control

Worst part about being Primal: i really like chocolate and baked goods!

Sack of Potatoes is offline Junior Member
    Your location: Tidewater, VA

Age (If you want): (does quick math) 32

How Primal are you: 12 years of vegetarianism, 4 days since my first bite of chicken

Do you consume dairy: On occasion. A little cream or cheese, not every day. I do like yogurt and ice cream.

Do you drink coffee or tea: Assam tea most days. I just don't go for green. Coffee if it's Illy and I'm in the mood.

Motivator for switching to Primal: Officially meeting the requirements for "Metabolic Syndrome" this year and needing to buy new pants

Favorite exercise: Ballet, but nowadays just for fun. Running isn't exactly "fun" but I'm good at it when I'm not injured. Love Ashtanga Yoga. Enjoy Crossfit-style conditioning and bodyweight exercises. I love practicing softstyle martial arts when I can get/afford a teacher. Rarely. Used to love Classical Italian style fencing but moved away from my club. I shoot IDPA and 3-gun but that's not much of a workout, judging by the body types I compete against!

Favorite Primal food: Any veggie sauteed with garlic and red pepper!

Best part about being Primal: Being able to eat my Grandmother's old Italian meat recipes

Worst part about being Primal: No pasta? Wah!

I’m planning on taking this transition slow. I can see that it’s needed though! Back when my husband, LP, and I became vegetarians we thought it would help protect us against the very diseases we’re beginning to suffer from now. Clearly it isn’t working. This past year I’ve become convinced we’re eating too many starches, and our main protein sources being so starchy must be a big culprit. Yeah, the cookies too. But to be honest I never recall struggling with my weight when I ate meat. I don’t think it’s just age.

My most exciting discovery was two days ago, eating pasta and sautéed veggies after a couple of days of primal-style meals. The pasta wasn’t all that tasty actually. The peppers were yummy though; so was the sauce.

My local grocery sells organic, certified humane chicken so we’re beginning with that. I hope I can source grass-fed beef in town too. I do know of a farm where I can get these things but it’s a good hike from home so if I go that way, I’ll be having to buy in bulk. Not something that’s too easy for me, since I plan my spending on a weekly basis.

I must say, the dog and cats have been far more interested in my cooking this week than usual!

MetalBeth is offline Member
    Hi, all. Decided to quit lurking and start contributing.

Your location: Northern VA

Age (If you want): 43 next month

How Primal are you: Oh, about 85%

Do you consume dairy: An ounce of hard cheese 5x/week and an occasional ice cream splurge

Do you drink coffee or tea: No

Motivator for switching to Primal: I felt "stuck on fat" and decided to give up grains, potatoes, and sugars for a month. Lost 10lb. Then I found MDA and began tailoring my lifestyle to fit the PB.

Favorite exercise: Anything with body weight and big leg movements, like jump squats

Favorite Primal food: Steak and salad

Best part about being Primal: The total transformation since March '11 in my appearance and overall health. Specifically, the incredible ENERGY that I wake up with and keep all day. I didn't feel this good in my teens, fer chrissakes!

Worst part about being Primal: Battling the bread cravings, although they're getting better (or at least my coping strategy is)

absolutezroo is offline Junior Member

Intro

Hi I'm Scott. I've read PB and been cruising the website for a while. Time to introduce myself....

Your location:Hampstead, MD

Age (If you want):24

How Primal are you: I'd say 85%

Do you consume dairy: I use butter for some cooking and sauces.

Do you drink coffee or tea: I like unsweetened tea

Motivator for switching to Primal: It just makes sense!!!

Favorite exercise: Rock climbing/ Hiking

Favorite Primal food: Rare Steak

Best part about being Primal: Meeeeeaaaattt!!

Worst part about being Primal:My favorite hang out is an Irish pub...the potatoes....

abo_normal is offline Junior Member
    Your location: Northeast Indiana

How Primal are you: Just started this week. Have a long way to go.

Do you consume dairy: Not so far...

Do you drink coffee or tea: Coffee, Green Tea, Black Tea

Motivator for switching to Primal: Want to be the man God created me to be. Want to have clear mind, excellent health, and positive mental attitude, be at peace with myself and the world.

Favorite exercise: Hunting, fishing, biking, canoeing, hiking

Favorite Primal food: Cubed moose meat stir fried in rendered moose fat.

Best part about being Primal: Looking forward to the new me I believe I'm going to morph into.

Worst part about being Primal: I have not found any negative side yet...

Nocciola is offline Member
    Your location: Boston, MA

Age (If you want): Just turned 30

How Primal are you: 90-05%

Do you consume dairy: fermented only (except some cheese rarely) - not very often - greek yogurt, kefir, butter for cooking

Do you drink coffee or tea: Black coffee and green tea regularly

Motivator for switching to Primal: It just makes the most sense to me, having had a long relationship with low-carb or low glycemic, and seeing how much refined carbs negatively effected my body composition, energy level, satiety etc. I am a natural carnivore - it was my nickname in my family growing up because I always wanted seconds of meat and never cared too much for dessert. I would trade steak and good veggies for chocolate or cake any day - just not a sugar person by nature. Love bread though but feel so much better not eating it (hardly ever! cant say I never have it, but avoid it most of the time and find that meat and veggies and fish are much more satisfying and leave me feeling a lot better)

Favorite exercise: running, but now that I'm more about lifting I would say combined squat exercises

Favorite Primal food: MEAT! any kind

Best part about being Primal: I think it really does allow you a lot of flexibility, and I have way more energy and generally never feel the crash and burn that eating so called "normal" foods cause

Worst part about being Primal: watching out for some things in the diet - for me, going out to most restaurants is doable because I can make it work, but skipping alcohol or dealing with people who don't understand / support/ believe in your diet decisions is definitely the worst. I think people are so much more inclined to support eating things like cupcakes and candy than they are to support primal or a low carb / low sugar diet. Of course there are lots of reasons for this (mostly psychological) and I understand everything should be within some sort of reason, but I get really tired of explaining for the millionth time at work why I am not having a piece of so and so's cake or cookies or whatever.....that is the worst.