PrimalAdam is offline Junior Member
    Primal Fuel
    The Questions:

Your location: Champaign Illinois

Age (If you want): 37 (next month)

How Primal are you: 60 to 70 percent

Do you consume dairy: Yes

Do you drink coffee or tea: Coffee

Motivator for switching to Primal: I wanted to feel human again.

Favorite exercise: Going out for walks in my Five Fingers.

Favorite Primal food: My breakfast--Wild caught salmon, three eggs, fresh spinach, diced onions/bell peppers, mushrooms, hot sauce...all scrambled together with a bit of cheese on top.

Best part about being Primal: The natural weight loss...nearly 50 pounds in the last year and just feeling good most of the time.

Worst part about being Primal: Other people trying to force me to eat crappy food.

bobdavis is offline Junior Member
    I'm really just starting - I started freewheeling a more primal diet about 6 weeks ago, and got serious about it a few weeks ago when I finally bought Mark's PB book.

I moved to San Antonio (known to be one of the fattest cities in the country) 10 years ago. The changes in my life in that decade have not been healthy for me - I am trying to get back to my weight when I moved here now - 195 lbs. My job is not paleo at all - I sit inside, staring at a computer monitor. On the bright side, I have a lot of meetings and they're frequently several flights of stairs and a long walk across our "campus", so I can get some exercise that way.

Your location: San Antonio, TX
    Age (If you want): 43
    How Primal are you: 75%, but trending up
    Do you consume dairy: Some cheese, but very little, sometimes yogurt or kefir.
    Do you drink coffee or tea: Coffee - limited to 2 cups/day, and iced tea (it's Texas...)
    Motivator for switching to Primal: I wanted to get in better health, and I've always believed in the anthropological wiring behind why we like the things we like to eat (at least since 1991 or so), so the Primal/paleo diet and lifestyle make sense to me. It started with "barefoot" exercises (which, in conjunction with fascia release therapy cured plantar fasciitis), which lead me to lots of more primal diet sites, including MDA.
    Favorite exercise: walking/jogging
    Favorite Primal food: venison - my wife and I hunt, so we fill up a chest freezer every season. (avocados, eggs and fajita meat are in the running though).
    Best part about being Primal: Consistent energy, sleeping well, weight loss, great food!
    Worst part about being Primal: explaining it to the Korgs. Allaying my wife's fears about it.

My tendency to say, "yeah, I should do something about that", when talking about my health went away earlier this year - it went something like this:

• 1 March, 2011 - at Gastro, weight is 240 lbs. WTF, yo?
    • Purchased Kleen Kanteen and quit drinking anything from the "free" soda fountain at work. There's a price, all right. TANSTAAFL!
    • 4 May, 2011 - ENT says that snoring, bad sleep can be addressed with weight loss, exercise or a CPAP device. I stop having late night snacks of cheese and crackers.
    • Mid May, 2011 - buy Merrell Barefoot shoes, start walking/jogging. Love these shoes.
    • Mid June, 2011 - Start eating more "primal" - no grain products, (most) cheese, processed foods. Start to focus on real food, made fresh.
    • 1 August - weight is 213. 18 pounds to go before I hit my goal of 195.

I'm tall (a bit over 6' 3" /190 cm), so I don't necessarily look fat at 240 - which is why it came as a surprise. I'm happy to report that all of the pants that were too tight at 240 fit me now require a solidly cinched belt to not hang off my butt.

Is this kind of weight loss typical? It feels fast. Not that I'm complaining - I've only ever paid attention to diet with weight loss as a goal once before, so I don't really know what to expect.

Kaleein is offline Senior Member
    Good idea ... sorry, just discovered this.

The Questions:

Your location: Florida

Age (If you want): OLD

How Primal are you: Jack Kruse Paleo 3

Do you consume dairy: sometimes ... butter, heavy cream

Do you drink coffee or tea: green tea, sometimes coffee

Motivator for switching to Primal: to attempt to reverse a lifetime of SAD eating and regain good health sometime before I die

Favorite exercise: resistance

Favorite Primal food: Salmon

Best part about being Primal: Freedom from SAD, feeling healthy and losing weight

Worst part about being Primal: I see NO downside
    Lost 54 lb with HCG from October 31, 2010. Started Paleo (no dairy) April 22, 2011 to maintain my weight loss with HCG. Started losing weight SLOWLY (7 lb) with Paleo June 1. Last week of June I added dairy and stopped losing but maintained. Been on Dr. K's Leptin reset since July 9. Have lost 24 more pounds (as of 10/14), but more importantly, I'm feeling terrific! Currently supporting friends working toward optimal health at http://optimalhealthcave.forumotion.com/

mbailey99gt is offline Junior Member

I love being Primal!

First time posting...

The Questions:

Your location: Texas / Virginia Road Warrior

Age (If you want): 59

How Primal are you: As much as possible 'on the road' Dedicated since April '11

Do you consume dairy: sometimes ... butter, heavy cream

Do you drink coffee or tea: coffee (too much, i'm a consultant), herbal tea

Motivator for switching to Primal: Younger brother made AMAZING change. I want to get weight and diabetes type II under control

Favorite exercise: Yoga, squats, pushups, assisted pull-ups, walking

Favorite Primal food: Steak! and red wine

Best part about being Primal: I FEEL GREAT, I see muscles again (at 59)

Worst part about being Primal: I can't really complain about being OLD

The more i follow PB, the better I look and feel. Bloodwork has shown Remarkable improvement. If Next Bloodwork in September continues improvement, my Dr will start to take me off some medication!

No more afternoon 'sleepies'. I sleep like a Grok at night, wake up without alarms, and I look forward to taking the stairs (2-3 steps at a time) whenever possible.

I'm nearly 'fanatical' about PB...but in a GOOD way. I will stay in touch, and keep the forum posted on my progress. I may even have to post some pictures.

Grok On!

SouthernCorps is offline Junior Member
    Hi all, just stumbled in today. So I guess that makes me a primal virgin. But I bet you have heard that one before: it was way too easy. I have been doing it wrong for way too long and know I will end up dead if I don't find a way to change my lifestyle. Guess I am middle aged, I think my body is completely toxic, I have little if no energy, tons of stress and anxiety, trauma as a child and young adult.

I am a Marine Corps Veteran and my thinking cap is screwed on a bit tight in some respects. I refuse to take drugs, or become a pharmaceutical guinea pig.

Glad I found Mark's Daily apple, it seems an invaluable source of information and inspiration.

God Bless us all!

Windigo is offline Junior Member
    Hello all!

I just started primal two days ago because I found this website and I must say it's incredible how much info you can find here. It's very motivating and helpful! As I'm experiencing carb-flu now, I figured I could use some support and joined the forums. Hurray for the internet! I'm a 23 year old girl from the Netherlands, and I work as a nurse for people with a dementia.

Your location: Amersfoort, small town in the Netherlands

How Primal are you: Just started two days ago, at 95% now

Do you consume dairy: I do, as I have no problems with digesting it. However I am more concious of my use of dairy, and often swap for coconut products. I mainly eat grass fed raw milk cheese and grass fed butter.

Do you drink coffee or tea: I drink herbal tea, no regular coffee or tea.

Motivator for switching to Primal: I found out I needed a gluten free diet, and felt how it made me feel so much better to not eat gluten. Then by reading about gluten free food I stumbled upon the primal diet and it instantly made sense to me. I'm feeling great so far.

Favorite exercise: Swimming and cycling, and I cycle every day at least 30 mins and three times a week at least 60 mins and swim once a week for a few hours. I'm planning on getting walks in the schedule too.

Favorite Primal food: Steak and bacon, sounds cliché maybe but they're so incredibly good I can easily eat tons of them. I also loved finding out about coconut milk as a drink, it's really yummy.

Best part about being Primal: More energy! Feeling satiated longer, and learning to appreciate the natural flavour of produce again.

Worst part about being Primal: Detoxing from carb/sugar addiction. Headaches

Mrs. Griffin is offline Junior Member
    The Questions:

Your location: Edmonton, Alberta, CANADA

Age (If you want): 36

How Primal are you: Trying more and more. I think we could be above 80%.

Do you consume dairy: the occasional slice of cheese or as directed in the recipes (cheese and butter mostly). Never milk - but not something that I ever liked anyway because it used to make me very ill.

Do you drink coffee or tea: Neither on any regular basis. May try tea from time to time, but prefer water or juice.

Motivator for switching to Primal: My hubby - and, since starting, the way I feel now and the way my body is changing.

Favorite exercise: walking

Favorite Primal food: all - especially the "freshness" of all the foods we eat now. My freezer is getting less full and my fridge is brimming!

Best part about being Primal: feeling so much better physically. I don't miss the bloating and pain that I was experiencing before.

Worst part about being Primal: trying to convince the children to join us in our "caveman diet".

up2nuthun is offline Junior Member
    Your location: Amherst, NY

Age (If you want): 41

How Primal are you: Just starting the Primal way, but I have given up bread, rice, pasta, and grains within the last 2 weeks

Do you consume dairy: yes, but moderately

Do you drink coffee or tea: about 2-3 times a week

Motivator for switching to Primal: weight loss

Favorite exercise: kenpo karate

Favorite Primal food: steak

Best part about being Primal: not feeling bloated

Worst part about being Primal: giving up italian bread, rice, and pasta

maribee is offline Junior Member

Lightbulb

Hello everyone! I first discovered Paleo eating in April 2008 when I went to see a nutritionist who suggested I cut out various grains and sugar from my diet in an attempt to get rid of my headaches, migraines and lethargy. Within a week of doing so I already felt a million times better so I started looking into grain- and sugar-free diets and stumbled across the Paleo diet. I bought every Paleo book I could find and read them from cover to cover. I started to lose weight but I didn't stick at it for any length of time and kept falling back into old habits. Beer, pizza, cakes and convenience foods crept back into my life and I put on a load more weight.

My last relationship ended just before Christmas so I decided to make a good go of it after the new year. I have since managed to lose almost 30lbs and 2-3 dress sizes. Three weeks ago I started seeing a personal trainer who is completely on board with lifting heavy things. I go to the gym 3-4 times a week and I am amazed at my progress already.

Your location: Brighton, England

Age (If you want): 32

How Primal are you: About 90-95%

Do you consume dairy: I used to use butter to cook with, double cream in my coffee and cheese a couple of times a week. On 1st July I took the Whole 30 challenge and gave dairy up which was a lot easier than I thought it would be! I'm sure I will consume dairy again, but not in the quantities I used to.

Do you drink coffee or tea: Yes! I normally have 2 cups of coffee a day made using a French press and I drink it black. I will occasionally have black tea. Anything after midday will be caffeine-free.

Motivator for switching to Primal: Health, fitness and weight loss. This way makes the most sense to me and is the simplest for me to follow.

Favorite exercise: Dead lifts and squats.

Favorite Primal food: A bloody rib eye steak.

Best part about being Primal: Although I have spent my life wanting to lose weight, I didn't realise how ill I was until I started eating this way. Now I don't suffer from headaches, migraines, depression, lethargy, aches and pains, mouth ulcers, stomach aches and cramps, bloating and wind. I am full of energy!

Worst part about being Primal: Having people make comparisons between my way of life and what they think is the Atkins diet because they once overheard a conversation about an article in a magazine that said that Atkins is a fad diet where all you can eat is bacon and cheese and it makes your breath stink and will give you a heart attack and make your liver explode all at the same time. Then I feel the need to defend not only the Atkins diet but I have to explain what being Primal is as well.

lbibclc is offline Junior Member
    Your location: Mid-Missouri

Age (If you want):53

How Primal are you: Semi

Do you consume dairy: No, allergic

Do you drink coffee or tea: tea

Motivator for switching to Primal: Matches what I like to eat, can eat, and feel it is a healthy lifestyle

Favorite exercise: Playing with my dog, walking, gardening

Favorite Primal food: steak

Best part about being Primal: Easy on my digestive system

Worst part about being Primal: Can maintain my weight but can't seem to lose weight