Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trying to understand the differences between Primal and Paleo page

EnderzShadow is offline Junior Member

Trying to understand the differences between Primal and Paleo

Primal Fuel
    I stumbled upon the Primal Diet via a link for someone who was doing the Paleo diet. Both diets look similar and both seem to be a bit more strict than the slow carb diet I am on now.

Currently my typical diet consists of beans, meat, veggies, fresh vegetable juice 4 days a week and I cheat on Saturday. I have completely cut wheat out of my diet as it was affecting me mentally and has for quite some time. Off the wheat, gluten and pretty much any grain has given me a much clearer head. Also I rarely eat cheese or milk or drink alcohol.

My goal is not only to lose weight, which I've done pretty successfully up till this point doing slow carb, but it feels like I have hit a bit of a roadblock. So I want to strength train starting this next week and add the paleo/Primal diet to my routine.

Onto the actual questions Whats the difference between what I am doing now with Slow Carb and Primal?

What are the big differences between Primal and Paleo?

And if I am strength training through the week, is there anything I might need to add to my diet, or pre/post workouts?

Thanks for the help

PS-I do NOT believe in evolution or care for the grok theory. The basic premise of the diet makes sense to me as a lifestyle change. I am not looking to method act a caveman.

Captain Archer is offline Senior Member
    The basic premise of the diet makes sense to me as a lifestyle change.
    Exactly you are correct! Primal is about a lifestyle change away from the SAD diet we are/were accustomed to.
    Primal goes back before we started eating grains, before we started eating mostly high carbohydrates, before we knew what processing meant.
    If you don't believe in the Grok theory that's alright. Think of it as Your Daily Apple
    Currently my typical diet consists of beans, meat, veggies, fresh vegetable juice 4 days a week and I cheat on Saturday.
    The major difference is cutting out the beans, and fruit juice.
    The other difference is the amount of carbohydrates you consume for the best results I go below 50grams a day.
    Some might say they have better results at below 100grams a day.
    We are eating what our bodies were designed to eat, that doesn't mean we all eat the same though.
    We keep all the unnecessary toxins away from our bodies.

Why are beans such a no no?

I know I should know this, but somehow I missed it.

Captain Archer is offline Senior Member
    Legumes are nutrients yes but also offer too many carbs for the little nutrients they give us.
    I wouldn't say they are a no no if you aren't allergic to them or don't mind the extra carbohydrates.
    I simply don't include them into my Primal Journey because I love living low carb, most carbs for me come from my nut mixture and spinach.

Also you might find this very interesting to read:
    Beans and Legumes | Mark's Daily Apple

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    I think there are some anti-nutrients in beans as well, if I remember correctly.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

I'm still undecided.

I think, till I get down to my desired weight, I am thinking about going paleo (with a few small modifications) and eat primal when I am at my desired weight.

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EnderzShadow View Post
    I'm still undecided.

I think, till I get down to my desired weight, I am thinking about going paleo (with a few small modifications) and eat primal when I am at my desired weight.
    Primal and Paleo have moved closer together. You can aim for 100% Primal now and it will be fairly much Paleo. Beyond that, Primal is a whole lifestyle. You need to work the whole lifestyle to get the full benefit.

Most of us decide for ourselves what we want to eat. Beans are not the great Satan. If they are important to you, eat some, ideally ones soaked overnight and rinsed. More thoughts.
    Last edited by Hedonist; 07-28-2011 at 09:36 PM.
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

Misabi is offline Senior Member
    Primal = Paleo plus dairy (if you can handle it)
    Both basically recommend cutting out grains & legumes/pulses, with Paleo also adding dairy to that list, though if you listen to Robb Wolf (author of the Paleo Diet Solution) he also says that if you dairy doesn't cause you problems then why not eat butter, fermented dairy (yogurt/kefir)?

If you really can't do without beans or grains, you can reduce the anti-nutrients (phytates) by soaking or sprouting.
    See here or here for info on the processes. But personally, it's all too much effort and I'm quite happy not eating them

It's all about getting back to eating the types of whole natural foods that man would have been eating prior to the advent of agriculture I.e. during the paleolithic period, hence the term 'Paleo'

Misabi is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hedonist View Post
    Primal and Paleo have moved closer together. You can aim for 100% Primal now and it will be fairly much Paleo. Beyond that, Primal is a whole lifestyle. You need to work the whole lifestyle to get the full benefit.

Most of us decide for ourselves what we want to eat. Beans are not the great Satan. If they are important to you, eat some, ideally ones soaked overnight and rinsed. More thoughts.
    lol beat me to it, started typing but got distracted reading the bloody references I was linking too

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Misabi View Post
    lol beat me to it, started typing but got distracted reading the bloody references I was linking too
    Hehe
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast