Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Trying to understand the differences between Primal and Paleo page 2

tim_1522 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I'm similar to the OP. I got started on Tim Ferris' SCD, but after about 10 weeks, I couldn't take it anymore. I couldn't stand the beans and I felt like crap -- miserable, low energy crap! I did like the idea of eating more protein and fat and from what I've read of TF, that lead me to Gary Taubes and eventually here. I'm giving this whole PB thing a try out. I think that it's more "flexible" to what works for the individual vs. "strictly" Paleo. There were some "strictly" Paleo folks on the SCD forums that were pretty gung ho and that always put me off. Plus, I love good dairy (cheese, butter, yogurt, etc. not so much plain milk, although when I do have milk, I've switched to whole) and don't seem to have problems with it, so I don't think I'll be cutting it out too soon -- another problem I had with the SCD. And, I like fruit!

I never really like the beans, so removing them has not been an issue for me. I still cheat way to much with sweets (sugary stuff like candy chocolate (not dark, the sweet stuff) and so forth) but I have been pretty close to 100% on cutting out grains, though I occasionally miss pizza and sometimes donuts.

I'm also giving the PBF a try -- did my "assessment" for the essential primal movements tonight...it wasn't pretty. Again, I like how the PBF is flexible to what you like to do for physical activity. I could NOT do the running I liked when I was on SCD...the beans made that damn near impossible.

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EnderzShadow View Post
    Why are beans such a no no?

I know I should know this, but somehow I missed it.
    Beans are high in lectins and phytates, so they are not really considered and ideal food. Interestingly, if we want to turn on immune cells in the lab we use products that are purified from beans!

EnderzShadow is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Misabi View Post
    Why not eat butter, fermented dairy (yogurt/kefir)?

I am a definite fan of butter, love the stuff. Some people say it can be addicting also and to eat Ghee instead. Is ghee lacking in any nutrients? I remember reading a mercola article where he extolls the virtues of butter but then again I am trying to lose weight and while I'm not an ANTI FAT "Low fat lover" kind of person, I would go without it if it got me closer to my goal.

If you really can't do without beans or grains, you can reduce the anti-nutrients (phytates) by soaking or sprouting.
    See here or here for info on the processes. But personally, it's all too much effort and I'm quite happy not eating them

And thats how I feel about it. I mean really, if its not that great for me anyways, possibly spikes my blood sugar (funnily it did my wife contrary to what some people claim) and I am trying to lose weight and get lean anyways, I dont want to go to all the hassle of soaking and all that.

Oh and I am perfectly fine being off of wheat. Getting rid of wheat, and eating a more "blood sugar stable" diet has pretty much got rid of any BiPolar symptoms. So I dont have to eat that either.

Although nut flours I read about, would make for a nice cheat day/guilt free pleasures.

It's all about getting back to eating the types of whole natural foods that man would have been eating prior to the advent of agriculture I.e. during the paleolithic period, hence the term 'Paleo'
    And thats funny, because I replied IN your post, it thinks I didn't write anything at all lol...<---and thats why I wrote all that. Ta ta !

Quote Originally Posted by tim_1522 View Post
    I'm similar to the OP. I got started on Tim Ferris' SCD, but after about 10 weeks, I couldn't take it anymore. I couldn't stand the beans and I felt like crap -- miserable, low energy crap! Yeah whats up with that? I noticed my bathroom habits changing, for the worse. I am not sure if I feel bad, but for as good as I eat, I dont feel as good as I should. I'm even turning into a bit of a saint when it comes to cheat day, because really, I can't take feeling so mentally off the next day. So my banana split sundays and chocolate bar and soda have been replaced with Fresh veggie/fruit juice, activia yogurt, chocolate and fruit.

I did like the idea of eating more protein and fat and from what I've read of TF, that lead me to Gary Taubes and eventually here. I'm giving this whole PB thing a try out. I think that it's more "flexible" to what works for the individual vs. "strictly" Paleo. There were some "strictly" Paleo folks on the SCD forums that were pretty gung ho and that always put me off. Plus, I love good dairy (cheese, butter, yogurt, etc. not so much plain milk, although when I do have milk, I've switched to whole) and don't seem to have problems with it, so I don't think I'll be cutting it out too soon -- another problem I had with the SCD. And, I like fruit!

Yeah my only reason for trying something a bit more "strict" is solely for the benefit. If I have something that is available and good for me that good ol Grok never have, GOOD FOR ME and screw him.

I never really like the beans, so removing them has not been an issue for me. I still cheat way to much with sweets (sugary stuff like candy chocolate (not dark, the sweet stuff) and so forth) but I have been pretty close to 100% on cutting out grains, though I occasionally miss pizza and sometimes donuts.

I think I have pretty much been a saint with regards to Wheat. I can't mess with the wheat though, really messes with my head. The upside is, this has been the most focused and driven 3 months of my life.

I'm also giving the PBF a try -- did my "assessment" for the essential primal movements tonight...it wasn't pretty. Again, I like how the PBF is flexible to what you like to do for physical activity. I could NOT do the running I liked when I was on SCD...the beans made that damn near impossible.
    I cant stand the SCD bean factor. The gas omg....
    I mean at first I thought it was funny. It's no longer funny. Its just annoying.

I'd like to start moving to a more raw diet, sun food type of thing. If I could get at least 55 percent raw, and still eat meat--that would be my ideal. Baby steps! I'll get there.

I just got the book, going to start reading soon

Captain Archer is offline Senior Member
    I'd like to start moving to a more raw diet, sun food type of thing. If I could get at least 55 percent raw, and still eat meat--that would be my ideal. Baby steps! I'll get there.

This is very possible if you go with grass finished meats.
    I eat most my eats either raw or medium rare.
    I use to need everything cooked to burnt... lol.

Jeesh Archer, I dont mean in my meat lol

I mean veggies! Raw SUNNY VEGGIES!

The human body when eating more than 51 percent or more cooked food, reacts like the food is foreign, releases more white blood cells etc. I am trying to remember what the medical term is called, but for me its just another reason to eat more raw veggies. Not that I would want to go Full vegetarian any time soon, but in the short term, I have seen some amazing health benefits.

If you had the opportunity to watch Food Matters, I watched a guy that weight in at the 360 mark, lose 97+ pounds in 60 days and get off all his meds. He did that via Juicing everyday--60 day Fresh Juice Fast.

I've seen type 1 and 2 diabetes reversed in 30 days of a raw diet (Medical Doctors Present)

Personally I've seen a huge difference in myself when I got off of wheat and ate a diet that wouldn't spike my blood sugar.
    I'd like to see what else is possible if I make some serious changes

With everything going back to "evolution and 400 million years ago"---I am having a hard time getting through this book.

No one else finds it ironic to use the word "Blueprint" and "Evolution" in the same sentence? /facepalm
    Last edited by EnderzShadow; 07-30-2011 at 08:06 AM.

On the upside, I am already doing most of the things talked about.....already believe the things mentioned. So the endgame of guidelines will fit with my belief system perfectly.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12