Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is Crossfit for me? page

TraceurX is offline Member

Is Crossfit for me?

Primal Fuel
    Hey people of the Grok (hmm nice name for a band)

I have been researching muscle building a lot (in my quest to join the spartans) and keep seeing the idea of switching your exercises a lot. This lead me to crossfit. SO I have two questions for you.

1. Is it a good idea to change exercises (example switching bench press for dumbell fly) If so how often

and

2. Is crossfit a good idea for someone like me. keep in mind there is no crossfit gym in my area, and I do not have a regular gym membership. I do own free weights and a pull up bar

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    1. Not without some kind of specific reason! It's not what any pro athletes do. Consistency wins. I would say there is a little bit of "woo" in the general crossfit training world, though there seem to be some very smart people too.
    2. How could we know, since we only know that you want to build muscle. However, since there is no crossfit nearby, I'm going to go out on a limb and say, "no". Also, crossfit is probably not the best possible method for muscle building, even according to crossfit people I've talked to.
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    1. Not without some kind of specific reason! It's not what any pro athletes do. Consistency wins. I would say there is a little bit of "woo" in the general crossfit training world, though there seem to be some very smart people too.
    2. How could we know, since we only know that you want to build muscle. However, since there is no crossfit nearby, I'm going to go out on a limb and say, "no". Also, crossfit is probably not the best possible method for muscle building, even according to crossfit people I've talked to.
    My main goal is to look like one of the actors of 300, and the gym jones website ( the people who trained them) likened there workouts to cross fit, never doing the same one more than twice

Phoenixflame is offline Senior Member
    It depends on your goals. Do you want to gain strength and power? Are you more concerned about size? Crossfit can get your strong and tough but it's not as good for getting you "hooge."

You should always change up your exercises. It helps maintain a range of motion and ensure you aren't developing imbalances. Vary them from week to week. You do need consistency -- it's always good to have a deadlift and squat (or similar squat-like exercise since some people find plain back squats really hard from a physical proportions standpoint). But don't just have one kind of leg exercise, chest exercise, etc.

If you have freeweights and a pullup bar, you might want to split up your training. Some days focus on hypertrophy, with higher weight and lower reps. Other days throw in a Crossfit-style workout (you can look at CF websites for workout ideas). You can get stronger but also develop more conditioning.

300...that kind of look was helped out by makeup. I love Gerard Butler but those abs had some help. But that basic "lean warrior" look is just the result of a lot of hard training and a pretty strict diet.
    Last edited by Phoenixflame; 07-28-2011 at 08:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixflame View Post
    It depends on your goals. Do you want to gain strength and power? Are you more concerned about size? Crossfit can get your strong and tough but it's not as good for getting you "hooge."

You should always change up your exercises. It helps maintain a range of motion and ensure you aren't developing imbalances. Vary them from week to week. You do need consistency -- it's always good to have a deadlift and squat (or similar squat-like exercise since some people find plain back squats really hard from a physical proportions standpoint). But don't just have one kind of leg exercise, chest exercise, etc.

If you have freeweights and a pullup bar, you might want to split up your training. Some days focus on hypertrophy, with higher weight and lower reps. Other days throw in a Crossfit-style workout (you can look at CF websites for workout ideas). You can get stronger but also develop more conditioning.

300...that kind of look was helped out by makeup. I love Gerard Butler but those abs had some help. But that basic "lean warrior" look is just the result of a lot of hard training and a pretty strict diet.
    A big question I have is, is it good to goto a more advanced/different version of the exercise (squat to pistol squat or push up to diamond or wide push up) or do you have to change the type of exercise all together

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    There are plenty of dudes at crossfit who look "300" like, for sure. Did they get that way by doing crossfit? Hard to say. It sounds like you are into bodybuilding, not strength or performance, so I don't have much advice to offer on that score.
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    There are plenty of dudes at crossfit who look "300" like, for sure. Did they get that way by doing crossfit? Hard to say. It sounds like you are into bodybuilding, not strength or performance, so I don't have much advice to offer on that score.
    My favorite quote, one that I live by is this:

"appearance is a consequence of fitness" -Mark Twight

Coach Palfrey is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TraceurX View Post
    My favorite quote, one that I live by is this:

"appearance is a consequence of fitness" -Mark Twight
    This is not as clear cut as most people would have you believe - following the training programme of another individual will not guarantee that you will look like them. There is a significant amount of empirical evidence to suggest that the activity will attract the individual who will be good at it.

A big question I have is, is it good to goto a more advanced/different version of the exercise (squat to pistol squat or push up to diamond or wide push up) or do you have to change the type of exercise all together

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    *BOLD STATEMENT*

Crossfit is for people with more money than brains.

It costs at least 3 times as much as a regular gym membership and you get maybe a quarter of the equipment. Buy a pullup bar and make a heavy sandbag and you can do Crossfit by yourself.

*END BOLD STATEMENT*
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast