Thread: How do you handle food rage? page

Red Wire is offline Senior Member

How do you handle food rage?

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    There is a common distaste for conventional wisdom and industrial food in the primal community. Maybe its because I'm young and dumb, only 22 years old and diving head first into clean, natural food but I find that general distaste is elevated in me. The simple fact is, I'm angry a lot. This isn't some general character flaw, I'm not angry at everything. More to the point, I'm angry at shitty food. Every time I see a hostess truck drive by I have to suppress the urge to slash the tires and light the pastries on fire (leaving the driver unharmed mind you ).

Am I a food snob for swallowing my rage when the chef at my job puts up chicken fingers and fries for staff meal, oh so tempted to scream something like "you're feeding us glorified dog food"? Am I just a pretentious jackass who buys all his stuff from local farms and occasionally whole foods? I've taken a lot of steps to separate myself from industrial food. I cook everything myself. I eat simple, no frills meals. I pack lunches and dinners for work. I generally live spartan food existence filled with a lot of scrambled eggs and home fries. It doesn't seem to matter how far I get away from Doritos and Pop Tarts, I still feel enraged at the fact these foods even exist. I dream of ransacking McDonalds and torching soda machines while yelling something vaguely akin to Mel Gibson in braveheart "freeeeeeeedooooomm!!!..... from junk food". Even if I'm not eating the trash that's marketed to our friends and neighbors, I cringe at every commercial for snickers ice cream. Are you like me? Do you feel a wave of hopeless desperation every time you see a McDonalds ad, trying to wrap their garbage food in a shiny wrapper? Do you let out a snickering, cynical laugh when you see jimmy dean breakfast sausages marketed as the right way to start the day? Or do you just tastefully ignore it all?

I'm wondering if anyone else here is subject to the same surges of belligerent disgust towards industrial foods. If so, how do you handle the emotions? I find it difficult to cope sometimes in an environment filled with shitty food. I do however, find some measure of comfort in the notion that eventually enough people with get sick and tired of this shit and a new and burgeoning local food movement will wipe at all remnants of Frito-Lay, Kraft Foods, and Taco Bell.

To end this on a more amusing and light hearted note, maybe this will be our future...

"One can only be a perfect physician for oneself alone. " ~ Luigi Cornaro

erikJ is offline Senior Member
    HAHA. Yup your a jerk. Just kidding.
    I used to feel this way but I've learned that people are responsible only to themselves. No amount of your anger, frustration or tire slashing is going to make people make better choices. We all came to PB or paleo or whatever, in our own time, No one yelled at us to do this. Is taco bell nasty and bad for mankind? sure you bet, But frankly people who don't care what they put in their body deserve what they get, Reap what you sow. So I smile when someone chooses that crap because I know that eventually it will catch up to them in their own way, their own time. Focus on your self and be kind to others. Teach those that want to learn and just smile at those that dont care. When they want help they will know who to talk too, the nice guy that offered help before. Not the guy that slashed their tires. Maybe look at where that anger really comes from. Is it because people you care about are eating that stuff? is it because you hate yourself for once eating it? Just let it go and enjoy your life, its too short as it is. Besides you're totally spiking your cortisol with all that anger. =)

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    Yup. If I'm free to choose whatever food I want, that means I have to let others be able to choose whatever food-like substance they want. If it didn't sell, it wouldn't be on the market.

You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink - they'll just grab a diet coke anyway.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    Nice rant.
    You just sound a bit immature and obsessive, that's all. Not a big deal or particularly unusual in someone so young. Channel that energy into some great rock and roll or whatever, dude.
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Quote Originally Posted by erikJ View Post
    HAHA. Yup your a jerk. Just kidding.
    Maybe look at where that anger really comes from. Is it because people you care about are eating that stuff? is it because you hate yourself for once eating it? Just let it go and enjoy your life, its too short as it is. Besides you're totally spiking your cortisol with all that anger. =)
    Haha, don't worry, I'm taking the edge off of the cortisol spike by writing about it , also seriously considering investing in a punching bag for my more heated moments. As for where the anger comes from, I think its just bred from a lifetime spent in an industrial food system that lives off of misinformation and duping people. Maybe some of them deserve it, but a lot of them just don't know any better. And thats shame. But hey I'm not all negative emotions. In fact, even the anger has an upside. It puts a little jump in my step when I make my meals for the day. I'm not ashamed of having a little fire in me.

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Yeah. I hear you. "If you aren't outraged you are not paying attention." But I can spare only so much cortisol. You too, although you are young and can spare more. What bugs me most is kids being fed shit. Adults, it's their decision.
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

Quote Originally Posted by RitaRose View Post
    Yup. If I'm free to choose whatever food I want, that means I have to let others be able to choose whatever food-like substance they want. If it didn't sell, it wouldn't be on the market.

You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink - they'll just grab a diet coke anyway.
    I'm not surprised it sells. Its engineered to sell both in flavor and in principal. I don't get angry at the people buying it, I get angry at the people selling it and having the balls to put a healthy low fat label on it. ( I'm looking at you Special K )

Quote Originally Posted by Hedonist View Post
    What bugs me most is kids being fed shit. Adults, it's their decision.
    agreed, and a serious reason to consider homeschooling.
    Last edited by Red Wire; 07-28-2011 at 09:51 PM.

bloodorchid is offline Senior Member
    you get used to it, OP