Thread: High Fat/Low Carb Diet increases arterial stiffness page

egmutza Guest

Primal Fuel

Any thoughts on this study? It (apparently) shows no significant difference in weight loss when calorie reduction (below expenditure) is the same. The authors also found an increase in arterial stiffness in the high fat/low carb group. I'd love to see the details of the study.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez

More from Steven Novella at NeuroLogica Blog (I have a lot of respect for Steven, but he never met an anti-low-carb study he didn't like):

http://www.theness.com/neurologicablog/?p=1354

SerialSinner is offline Senior Member

The link t the study is not working for me.

As for very respectable scientists not endorsing a low carb diet, I think this is a result of a bottom-up approach to nutrition. Trying to make up an ideal dietary/lifestyle regime from the existing punctual evidence we have today and the limited understanding we still have about human physiology makes nutrition look like an extremely complex puzzle.

A Top-down approach, on the other hand, makes much more sense to me. If we keep the big picture in mind, treat humans as any other animal, exclude neolithic foods and experiment with macronutrient ratios in an attempt to simulate ancient conditions, determining our "ideal diet and lifestyle" looks infinitely easier.

It is easy to fall into a "Diet of the Gaps" style of argumentation when it comes to discussing low-carb diets. The reality is that research tends to increasingly support a Primal diet and lifestyle, to the surprise of CW-based researchers and almost boredom of the Primal community.

“Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.” -Oscar Wilde
    "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." -George Bernard Shaw
    "The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass." -Martin Mull

Acmebike is offline Member

Can't get anywhere on the link either. I'll bet the "fat" in the "high fat, low carb diet" is a vegetable or seed oil. Have to read the study to find the actual fat used. NOT the type of fat eaten on a Paleo/Primal nutrition plan.

And "Low Carb" often means just getting under 200 grams a day, not low carb by any stretch of the definition.

But again, only my suspicions as the study doesn't work from that link.

nina_70 Guest

I'm very suspicous of high-fat diets that don't specifically talk about the type of fat. Following a high-fat diet that is primarily trans fat or high in O-6 seed oils has a completely different effect on the body than a diet high in natural animal and saturated fats, for example.

0-3 fatty acids, for example, are known to be beneficial for the heart and arteries, whereas trans fats have all kinds of negative effects in the body. So, what were the exact fat ratio's of those studues?

Here's a study on O-3 fatty acids and arterial stiffness. Not surprisingly, higher O-3 concentrations are associated w/ better vascular tone.

http://hyper.ahajournals.org/cgi/content/full/53/5/839

So, for example, for those of us eating fish and grass-fed meats we all get pretty good O-3 intake despite these being "high fat".

So, I really don't put any credit into studies that don't specifically the type of fat intake.

nina_70 Guest

One more article on fats...again, this is more focused on O-3's than anything else (so many studies seem to be these days), but this is the key in my mind:
    [quote]

controlled feeding studies, randomized trials, and epidemiologic evidence all indicate that the type of fatty acids, rather than the total percentage of calories from fat, is important.
    </blockquote>

I completely agree that the TYPE of fat is critical.

By the way, vitamin D is now also thought to be a factor in arterial health.

egmutza Guest

Sorry for the bum link. Try this one:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1...m&ordinalpos=6

maba is offline Senior Member

SerialSinner is offline Senior Member

Thanks for the link Maba. Seems Petro has been sent the full-text already. Hopefully he&#39;ll follow-up and talk about the methodological details.

“Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.” -Oscar Wilde
    "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." -George Bernard Shaw
    "The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass." -Martin Mull