Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: We Are Wrong - I despair page

Esperance is offline Member

We Are Wrong - I despair

This week I've had occasion to be home most mornings for once. On those mornings I had the TV on. I am officially in despair...

Three brief "news"/"talk" segments were presented on three different days and 3 different shows.

1) A morning talk show talked about (you guessed it!) weight loss in women over 40 and it talked about the importance of aerobic activity and lowering those calories and eating low fat. A still quite portly woman was the success story and a very tall, blonde, statuesque dietitian was her co-guest and mentor.

2) Another snippet about how low calories and "self-control" saves the day. Keep counting those calories, keep the fat low and slap a smile on your face! Didn't ya know - a positive attitude makes it so easy to lose weight!!!! (So THAT'S what I've been doing wrong all this time!!)

3) This morning the following segment was on: (This is the one that pushed me to the edge and made me so mad I had to vent so here I am writing this!) Diabetes is rampant and growing. A woman with diabetes has written a helpful ebook with "tasty" recipes - she made some kinda boiled meat with potatoes and carrots and low-fat carnation condensed milk "beautifully creamy" sauce with muschrooms. Then they showed brief snippets of another couple of women with diabetes and both were quite portly but they've lost that weight eating low fat. They then talked about those deserts and those delicious muffins with apple and carrot, "very important for people with diabetes". Ended with stick-thin dietitian praising the ebook and confirming low-fat eating blah blah blah

What appalls me is that this is the crap (where I happened to me in the room and noticed what) they were talking about on TV!!!! How much more crap is on TV yammering on about low fat, positive attitude, obesity, self-control, get that fibre and grains in to filll you up ...?????

I WAS SO FRUSTRATED I STARTED SNAPPING BACK COMMENTS TO THE THE TALKING HEADS ON THE TV!!!

This is crazy. I don't think we will every win this battle. By the way, Gary Taubes and his articles are NEVER mentioned in Australia. NEVER. Conspiracy much?

I despair.
    Last edited by Esperance; 07-28-2011 at 06:10 PM.

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    There's not a lot of money to be made in the Primal/Paleo world. The food is natural, the supplements are mostly in the actual food (heavens no!) and the exercise requires the simplest of equipment (or even just body weight).

That's why you won't see it promoted anywhere. No sponsors.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

Mike in Virginia is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RitaRose View Post
    There's not a lot of money to be made in the Primal/Paleo world. The food is natural, the supplements are mostly in the actual food (heavens no!) and the exercise requires the simplest of equipment (or even just body weight).

That's why you won't see it promoted anywhere. No sponsors.
    +1

Gary Taubes isn't talked about on American tv or in our newspapers either. It's all about the food pyramid and the need to eat more grains. head/desk
    Live your life and love your life. It's the only one you get.

Alex Good is offline Senior Member
    Don't knock boiled meat with vegetables. I just boiled a lamb leg in some water (mixed with said lamb's blood), threw in some stewing beef, added a few vegetables like spinach, beets, beet greens, carrots and potatoes (I like them after hard workouts and they've been my 20% for the past few days) and threw in some spices. It was pure heaven. The water turned into a deliciously oily broth.
    In all of the universe there is only one person with your exact charateristics. Just like there is only one person with everybody else's characteristics. Effectively, your uniqueness makes you pretty average.

Captain Archer is offline Senior Member
    Gary Taubes isn't talked about on American tv or in our newspapers either. It's all about the food pyramid and the need to eat more grains. head/desk

Head desk a million times! Ugh I hate the American diet and no matter how much proof we provide the American government nothing is going to change their minds.

Follow the money, follow the money!! Ugh politicians I swear.. Oh well more Primal food for me

Captain Archer is offline Senior Member
    Nuts are my 20% I guess.. In two months I have consumed 60 pounds of nuts.

piano-doctor-lady is offline Senior Member
    Don't fret about shouting at the TV --- that's a completely healthy reaction. When you throw a brick THROUGH the TV, then you've got a problem. <grin>

Chasintrail is offline Senior Member
    Kill the TV, you'll be happier.

belinda is offline Senior Member
    Can you still buy those sponges that look like bricks? Anyone remember those?
    Newcomers: If you haven't read the book, at least read this thread ... and all the links!
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread17722.html

F/49/5'4"
    Jan. 1, 2011: 186.6 lbs PBSW Mar. 1, 2011: 175.8 lbs
    CW: 146.8 lbs
    GW 140 lbs
    A proud member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals

yodiewan is online now Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Archer View Post
    Nuts are my 20% I guess.. In two months I have consumed 60 pounds of nuts.
    I hope you're exaggerating. That is WAY too much. That's around a pound a day, which is over 2000 calories. Probably over 60 grams of omega-6 per day (unless they're macadamias) and lots of phytates (bind minerals).

If you're not exaggerating, please lower your consumption of nuts, for the sake of your health.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast