Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Serious Business Training/Diet Log page

Serious Business Training/Diet Log

After a while of half-assing it, I'm going to get serious about diet and exercise again.

The basics:
    22, female, 135 lbs, 5'6''

The goals:
    not being a fatass.
    Yeah, I'm vain. I would like, for once in my life, to be pretty.
    But "pretty" to me means strong. I have to be physically competent or I won't be happy.

The plan:
    Crossfit (just following the website WOD's as best I can)
    Paleo (here understood to mean "low carb", not "unprocessed." I'm not in it for my health, I'm in it for my vanity. I eat enough maltitol and aspartame to kill a horse. You can try to convince me otherwise, but I don't think I can bear life without sweetener. I need my palliatives.)

Maxes:
    At my best, which was about a year ago, squat/bench/deadlift was 185/125/255. I'm weaker now; I haven't dared test just how weak.

Problems and obstacles:
    I'm generally healthy, but I have a problem with chronic sleepiness. I've fallen asleep in one-on-one meetings. It's embarrassing. I don't know what's wrong. Maybe a little trial and error with diet will fix the issue.

Also a very, very, heavy-duty pessimist. I am all doom and gloom and self-loathing. I make Toby Ziegler look like Big Bird.

I also have no car and the nearby grocery store is...sporadic in quality. The only meat they had last time was hot dogs, so that's the meat I'm eating.

What I'm doing with the rest of my life:
    Math PhD student. Tech startup on the side.
    For what it's worth, that's not me in the avatar, that's Lena. She's a standard test image in the image processing world.
    Last edited by barbarianchick; 07-28-2011 at 07:16 PM.

Today's workout:
    Was meant to be 12/9/6 squat clean and jerks followed by muscle-ups.

In reality... not so much. I did 85 on the CJ's, but only got 15 of them (last week 85 was my one rep max.)

For each muscle-up, subbed in 3 pullups and 3 dips.

I was so distraught about not being able to finish the workout that I was smashing my head against a wall and sobbing. I hate people more successful than me.

food:
    lunch: lettuce, tuna fish, almonds
    snack: mozzarella cheese
    dinner: hot dogs and spinach
    totals: 1141 kcal, p/f/c 87.3/79.2/8.2

Well, today was an "off day" so I just tested my squat max... and it's 135.
    Yeah, I'm fifty pounds weaker than in my heyday.

breakfast: almonds
    lunch: Thai food without the rice: spicy chicken and green beans, tofu and vegetables. Spoon of peanut butter.
    snack: yogurt
    dinner: lettuce, canned tuna, and avocado.

totals: 1387 kcal, p/f/c 119.9/65.4/41.9

RickyP is offline Junior Member
    Hey, good luck with the training
    I'm not an expert yet, but do you think your eating enough? It seems quite small to me, though I way quite a bit more.

Well, I've been in and out of calorie-counting land a couple of times, and I kind of know the pattern; I start off not wanting to eat very much, and eventually there will be days when I want more. It also may be that I'm underestimating; I don't weigh my food or anything.

Actually had some cheese last night, so more in the 1600's calorie range.
    My instinct is to just go ahead and eat when I'm hungry enough to have a stomachache.

I had an awesome workout today. (Adapted from the WOD because I don't have a rope to climb.)

5 clean & jerks @85
    1500 m row
    4 clean & jerks @90
    1200 m row
    3 clean & jerks @95
    900 m row
    2 clean & jerks @100
    600 m row
    1 clean & jerk @105 (didn't quite lock out, but let's call it ok)
    300 m row

Whole thing took 45 minutes.
    Rowing is new to me -- it's very counterintuitive. It turns out you go faster when your strokes are slow and strong. My times were better when I didn't "hurry." (I wish I had one of those guys beating a big drum like in Jason and the Argonauts to keep time for me.)

I've never even powercleaned more than 90 pounds IN MY LIFE. Let alone getting 105 over my head. Shine on me sunshine, walk with me world, it's a zip-a-dee-doo-da-day; I'm the happiest girl in the whole USA.

Oh, and I also did a wide-grip pullup for the first time in a long time (normally I do neutral-grip.)

The boyfriend says I'm losing weight (visibly). It's a nice day.

Now, back to Bessel functions.
    Last edited by barbarianchick; 07-30-2011 at 03:46 PM.

me2
    me2 is offline Senior Member
    5'6'' 135? You sound slender to me. I really wish I could do crossfit, it is just so dang expensive.

As for the sweetener? HELLO! Have you tried stevia? It is totally primal & cheap. A box lasts probably about a year. Stevia may help you regulate your insulin levels & we all know low insulin=better weight loss results. Also they have this stevia sweetened soda called Zevia that is incredibly delish. More info.

Hot dogs? Oh girl maybe you need to take a bus to a better grocery store & load up your freezer w/ meats. Unless they are nitrate free hot dogs may bite you back. But don't take my word on it.
    Notebook of a Nutrition Nerd

‘THE FOOD YOU EAT CAN BE THE SAFEST AND MOST POWERFUL FORM OF MEDICINE OR THE SLOWEST RELEASING POISON' - Dr Ann Wigmore.

pyrosis is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Good luck with your training and eating! Another vote to make sure to eat enough, especially if you are doing Crossfit style workouts 5-6x/wk as prescribed. I think people run into trouble with that volume of training unless they really have their recovery dialed in, IE eating enough of the proper food, getting enough sleep, etc. Have fun! Sounds like you are making good progress. Cheers

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast