Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Serious Business Training/Diet Log page 3

Primal Fuel
    How did I start?

Well, I ran (not especially well) since high school, and then about two-and-a-half years ago I realized "I am sick of running in blizzards; I want to exercise somewhere WARM." So I looked on the internet for info about lifting weights and discovered Starting Strength. It's a great program for beginners. Squat, bench, deadlift, and press, three times a week, focus on continually increasing the weight on the bar. It works very, very well. I used to be unnaturally weak in my upper body -- like, my arms would get tired from brushing my hair. Now I think I'm easily stronger than the majority of women. You should go for it. Learn the movements (either from the book or Youtube) and enjoy the trial and error process.

As for people watching you -- I remember worrying about that, long, long, ago. I was on the "boys' side" and I was scared the big dudes would ask me to leave! I just had to mutter under my breath "My tuition is the same as theirs, I have a right to be here too." (It was a college gym.) The truth is, most gym rats are nice to beginners, and nobody is going to point and giggle. Sometimes you'll even get friendly advice.

Sadly, I've been a sleepyhead whether I eat a lot or a little. I suspect it's psychosomatic -- I'm kind of lazy and hate work -- but I'm getting a blood test just to rule out anything medical.

me2
    me2 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by barbarianchick View Post
    All right, once I work my way through this package of hot dogs I will go looking for Real Meat, and if absolutely necessary take the bus to get it.
    yay!

I think it takes a while but once your body gets use to this diet & heals itself you will have more energy. I agree w/ eating more food. A low cal day or two a week is probably good but you want some higher cal days too. I feel like the food Nazi but I'm only sharing my knowledge with you. If your goal is fat loss you should know that dairy is insulingenic, meaning it spikes insulin levels & may inhibit fat loss, but if you love it, you love it.

I wish I had a buddy to lift with.
    Notebook of a Nutrition Nerd

‘THE FOOD YOU EAT CAN BE THE SAFEST AND MOST POWERFUL FORM OF MEDICINE OR THE SLOWEST RELEASING POISON' - Dr Ann Wigmore.

namelesswonder is online now Senior Member
    ^Me too. I don't think my sister is eating well enough to try lifting with me and my boyfriend would surpass me quickly O.O

There's a women's work-out room at my gym. I haven't been in there yet, but may explore the weight options there. I really need to earbuds so I can distract myself with music (boyfriend's pockets are evil and broke both his and mine!).
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

foods:
    breakfast: avocado and cheese omelet
    lunch: salad with gyros meat and yogurt
    dinner: zucchini, onions, and hot dogs; protein bar.
    totals: 1949 kcal, p/f/c 121.3/132.4/28
    I do get hungry sometimes!

3 minute workout:
    1 min rowing, 20 wall ball shots, 12 toes to bar (actually I'm not flexible enough to get my toes all the way up -- maybe 60 degrees.)

fooled around with snatches, but I'm still uncertain of the form
    tried an L-sit but I can't do it straight-legged, sadly.

10 sprints: 30 seconds on, 30 seconds off.

me2
    me2 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by barbarianchick View Post

fooled around with snatches, but I'm still uncertain of the form
    tried an L-sit but I can't do it straight-legged, sadly.
    What's a snatch? I really want to learn how to do them just so I can tell my husband that I, "Fooled around with snatches."
    *& now I apologize for my juvenile sense of humor.*
    Notebook of a Nutrition Nerd

‘THE FOOD YOU EAT CAN BE THE SAFEST AND MOST POWERFUL FORM OF MEDICINE OR THE SLOWEST RELEASING POISON' - Dr Ann Wigmore.

The snatch is an Olympic lift; you get the bar from the floor to overhead in one movement.
    Link.

food:
    breakfast: Armenian string cheese, coconut milk and mango smoothie
    lunch: basil chicken with vegetables
    dinner: eggplant parmesan, meatballs, cabbage
    totals: 1439 kcal, p/f/c 113/73.2/39.2

6 minute workout:
    1 min row, 20 medicine ball throws, 20 toes-to-bar (these were approximate but some were real), 30 box jumps, 20 65-lb high pulls, 30 burpees.

deadlifts: 10@135, 3x10@155 (was going for form, not max weight)
    barbell hip thrusts: 3x10@155

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    food:
    breakfast: omelet with avocado & cheese; protein bar
    lunch: yogurt
    snack: "fish tofu" (weird thing: fish prepared so it has a springy texture like tofu)
    dinner: zucchini, broccoli, canned tuna
    totals: 1457 kcal, p/f/c 148.8/62.0/39.9

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast