Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 55yo woman weighing 280 lbs page

givenup is offline Junior Member

55yo woman weighing 280 lbs

Primal Fuel
    Is this way of eating something I can do at 55 and weighing 280 lbs? I have tried every diet and had the best results on Atkins, but cannot stay on it. My son is getting married in May and I have to lose a lot before then. Seems like everybody I see on here is an athlete....anybody like me on here?

marthat is offline Senior Member
    I'm not your weight, but close in age. Check out the thread called Gals Over 50? for a meeting place for those of us a touch "longer in the tooth".

And yes, you can change your life with this way of life!

pdovers is offline Senior Member
    I am a 54 year old woman and I have never been able to stick with Atkins for more than a week. This is different. I've been doing this for about a month and I think I can stick with it. I've had ups and downs and am still seeing what works for me. I want accelerated weight loss so I am keeping the carbs low. I started off keeping the carbs below 100 but that was not helping to get the weight off so I am now doing no more than 50. I would like to be back down to my ideal weight by Thanksgiving. I want to lose 35 - 40 pounds.

Good luck. I'll check back and hopefully we can help each other. May is a long way off. You can do it.

freqz is offline Member
    Absolutely you can do this. One note, however-- the Primal Blueprint is not a 'diet' but rather much more than that. This is something you become, not something you do if that makes any sense.

taylor044 is offline Junior Member
    You certainly can! You should buy and read the book before starting in my opinion. Not everyone here is an athlete!

Here are some success stories
    Success Stories | Mark's Daily Apple

One of my favorites is:
    The Unconquerable Dave | Mark's Daily Apple

Also, this is the before and after picture thread, it has some amazing transformations but you have to go through the pages to find pictures!
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread6138.html

tangentrider is offline Senior Member
    I'm a 50 yr old woman: started at nearly 260 and now down to nearly 220. I've a ways to go and it's been a bit bumpy, sometimes due to falling off the wagon and other times due to decades of horrible eating, etc. Still, it's totally doable.

givenup is offline Junior Member
    tangentrider, what do you do for exercise? Can't see me sprinting for a while yet.

ElaineC is offline Senior Member
    I am far from an athlete, and have plenty to lose too! I didn't tolerate Atkins at all, but this comes very easily once you get over craving sugar. Even with my limitations, I'm losing weight at a steady rate without having to up my amount of exercise by much. I do what I can, and it all keeps moving along in a good direction.

Welcome!
    Fighting fibromyalgia and chronic myofascial pain since 2002.

Big Fat Fiasco

Our bodies crave real food. We remain hungry as long as we refuse to eat real food, no matter how much junk we stuff into our stomachs. ~J. Stanton

tangentrider is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by givenup View Post
    tangentrider, what do you do for exercise? Can't see me sprinting for a while yet.
    I walk a couple miles a day and, if the knees allow, more on Saturdays. No sprinting for me, as my joints are lousy. I have started doing some static bodyweight exercises: planks and something I call Aussie hangs (the beginning of an Aussie pull up, but you just hang there). I've just now been able to do these.

Someday I may sprint: the last time I ran for the bus, I hyper-extended my knee, which aggravated the arthritis in my knee, making even walking difficult: take your time and do what you can. BUT, do do what you can. This is key.

One other thing: I do modified intu-flow in the morning to get the joints lubricated. This stuff is amazing.
    Last edited by tangentrider; 07-28-2011 at 04:36 PM. Reason: additional information
    Started PB late 2008, lost 50 lbs by late 2009. Have been plateaued, but that thing may just be biting the dust: more on that later.

belinda is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    You can certainly do this and you should see all kinds of benefits. I'm almost 50 and am down 35 lbs this year so far. I am so NOT an athlete

I started with walking 20 minutes on my lunch and riding a recumbent exercise bicycle for 20 minutes while I watched tv in the evening. Along with that, I did some wall pushups, some step ups/downs on my basement stairs, and since I didn't have a kettle bell, I did some laundry detergent bottle swings. One day I was out thrifting and found a set of 2.5/5/10 lb dumbbells for $15 so I bought those and do a little variety of upper body work.

You don't have to do cross fit or run marathons to see fitness benefits. You paid a lot to get your body to the weight it is (as did I) now put that to work for you
    Newcomers: If you haven't read the book, at least read this thread ... and all the links!
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread17722.html

F/49/5'4"
    Jan. 1, 2011: 186.6 lbs PBSW Mar. 1, 2011: 175.8 lbs
    CW: 146.8 lbs
    GW 140 lbs
    A proud member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast