Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Living off the land, Living Primally page

gault is offline Junior Member

Living off the land, Living Primally

Primal Fuel
    Disclaimer: this is not an attempt to push a certain lifestyle choice, but simply to seek out any others that have chosen to live primaly, off their own land, as well as to possible prompt interest in the topic among others that have chosen to live primally.
    One aspect that I believe many overlook in going primal, is growing your own food.

Think about the vast benefits of growing your own food as it applies to the primal laws.

You can grow plenty of vegetables and fruits, as well as raise your own beef, portk, etc.

Working a farm:
    • requires you to move around a lot.
    • requires you to lift heavy things (ever tossed hay bails to the loft).
    • requires you to sprint (ever had to chase a goat to take to the milking stand)
    • provides loads of sun time
    • can be quite fun and rewarding (ever had a vine ripened tomato from your own plant)

I know that many follow the blueprint because they want to "look good", but it is so much more. It can be a lifestyle. I have seen many videos about workout routines, and they are impressive, but I fear they will fail in the long term because the approach is still far to conventional, and thus not sustainable.

For me The Primal Blueprint, will enable me to live the lifestyle I want to live, and that does not include any formal, or routine exercise regimens, but living off my own land which is extremely physical. If I were a betting man, I would wager that one can achieve the health and fitness goals, without gym or other regimented exercise routines, by applying the primal blueprint principals to sustainable, living off the land activities.

The below video shows some of the rewards of working your own land, there are so many good videos on the subject. The video shows a farm that has applied permaculture principles.

Definition of permaculture found on wikipedia:
    "Permaculture is sustainable land use design. This is based on ecological and biological principles, often using patterns that occur in nature to maximise effect while minimizing wasted energy. Permaculture aims to create stable, productive systems that provide for human needs, harmoniously integrating the land with its inhabitants. The ecological processes of plants, animals, their nutrient cycles, climatic factors and weather cycles are all part of the picture. Inhabitants’ needs are provided for using proven technologies for food, energy, shelter and infrastructure. Elements in a system are viewed in relationship to other elements, where the outputs of one element become the inputs of another. Within a Permaculture system, work is minimised, "wastes" become resources, productivity and yields increase, and environments are restored. Permaculture principles can be applied to any environment, at any scale from dense urban settlements to individual homes, from farms to entire regions."

What are your thoughts on this topic?
    Last edited by gault; 07-28-2011 at 12:56 PM.
    -- Chris

Primal Since: July 20, 2011
    Starting Korg Weight: 315 lbs.
    Current Weight: 263 lbs.
    Goal Grok weight: 175 lbs.

Nexium Last Day: January 1, 2012

Website: Ezekiel's Garden, where we talk about faith, permacuture, green building, sustainable living and of course primal living.

girlarchitect is offline Senior Member
    Primal is a lifestyle for a lot of people here. You do realize that you sound a bit sanctimonious - right?

I grow a heck of a lot of food on my balcony and have for three years (and I don't even own a square inch of land). It is fun and rewarding but I don't sprint (not much room left to move with all the planters), there isn't a lot of moving around and I only have to lift heavy things in spring and fall. Not all experiences are like yours but they are all of value.
    My primal journal that I don't update enough:
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33293.html

@girarchitect - the point of my entry is to get feed back from others about living off the land vs using a regimented exercise program, which is pretty much all I see.

Excuse me if I come across "sanctimonious", it is not intended, nor is it my intent to make people who do not own land to feel bad, or as a second class primal citizens.

As I said, this is an attempt to find others out there that live primally in a broader sense of the word "live". I am sorry, but nutritional choices and a few intense work outs does not, in my mind, constitute a "lifestyle", while they are factors that contribute to one.

I am not suggesting that there is only one valid lifestyle either, but are there others in this forum that see the value in sustainable living, living "off the land" so to speak, especially in the case of fulfilling their primal fitness goals.
    -- Chris

Website: Ezekiel's Garden, where we talk about faith, permacuture, green building, sustainable living and of course primal living.

Mike Gager is offline Senior Member
    Grok didnt grow his own food so neither will I!

CoyoteVick is offline Senior Member
    It's my goal to live as sustainably as possible. Hopefully one day I'll have a homestead with my own animals and plants. Right now, I'm just looking to not live with family. It's something that can be done no matter how much you own. I think that people get discouraged because they don't have a "farm", but honestly you can grow nearly all your own produce in an apartment with a balcony. That's what I'm aiming for at the moment.

EDIT: This came off snarkier than I meant it to. I wanted it to be positive, in a "You can do it! No matter where you live!" kind of way... I'm not in a great mood, sorry if I'm coming off bitchy...
    Last edited by CoyoteVick; 07-28-2011 at 01:21 PM.

girlarchitect is offline Senior Member
    I think it's great that you are growing your own food. And that a primal diet fulfills a part of the bigger picture of your ideals than that it great. We can always use new voices in the forum - so, welcome.

Now, lazy urbanite that I am, I'm going go bike over to the farmers market and buy some fresh lettuce and peaches.
    My primal journal that I don't update enough:
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33293.html

@mike - ROFL - Grok did not have a grocery store or farmers market either, nor did he have a television, radio, car, bicycle, gym membership, etc. So, let me get this straight, you walk around and gather nuts from trees and berries from bushes, and hunt for food with wood spears, rocks, or clubs?

I am an avid deer hunter as well, but I do like to use my modern archery equipment, and muzzle loader, not so sure jumping out of a tree with a knife would do so good
    -- Chris

@girlarchitect - have fun at the farmers market, and btw, no one said you or anyone else were lazy.
    -- Chris

Angieh is offline Senior Member
    Welcome Gault!

Personally, I love the idea of living off the land and sustainability. Both my husband and I grew up in families that are huge gardeners; my dad and brother have also always hunted and fished. My no means were we raising or killing all our own food, but we did grow and can many of our vegetables - still do. I'm lucky now to live on 1.5 acres -- not huge but my husband and I are able to have a nice garden and are considering getting chickens. We don't live too far from Polyface Farms (Joel Salatin's farm discussed in Pollan's Omnivore's Dilemma -- that's a book you would enjoy, Gault, if you haven't read it) and would love to have a small farm at some point -- maybe a few years down the road. I don't know if it's realistic for us, but I admire those who do it.

Quote Originally Posted by gault View Post
    @girarchitect - the point of my entry is to get feed back from others about living off the land vs using a regimented exercise program, which is pretty much all I see.
    I do take some issue with this statement -- it seems to me that you've only been on MDA for a few days, so it's a blanket statement (and totally inaccurate) to say that everyone is doing regimented exercise programs. When I first started on MDA, I found some delicious primal recipes on Barbeygirl's blog, and she runs a farm- check it out. There are tons of people on this site who get their exercise from work or other non-regimented ways. Everyone on MDA is not doing Crossfit 6x times a week! Stick around here a while, do some reading, get to know some folks, and you'll see that there is quite a diverse crowd here who live in all sorts of ways -- many even live similarly to you. The unifying aspect is we've all realized that CW in regards to nutrition is a crock, but yes, there are different lifestyles and exercise regimens represented here for sure.

Best of luck to you in your primal journey -- looks like you are off to a great start so far!

@CoyoteVick - good luck on moving out on your own, i remember the day I moved out for good, and it is a great day. You are absolutely right that you do not need land to apply the permaculture principles.
    -- Chris

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast