Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Living off the land, Living Primally page 3

gault is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    @Mud Flinger - Thanks for the support - and yes everyone I know thinks we are crazy as well. Now add to that The Primal Blueprint, and I would not be surprised if we get run out of town

I am sitting here planning our food budget for the next year and getting ready to order meat chickens. We prefer the taste of chickens over that of turkeys, and chickens do not eat as much, and believe it or not, we get two meals out a chicken, and that is with 7 of us eating on it (loads of soup and stock for other wonderful dishes)

I will be ordering 100 cornish rock cross roosters, and they will be ready for the freezer in about 8-9 weeks. That will provide us 4 chickens a week for 6 months. We are also ordering a side of beef and a pig for the winter. That said, our goal for next spring is to be ready to grass finish a couple of Dexter cattle (small breed cattle) for next winter.

We have French Alpine goats that provide us loads of milk, and my wife has gotten pretty good at making all sorts of cheeses, and other fermented milk products. We also have laying chickens that provide more eggs than we can eat.

So the only thing missing is our vegetable and fruit needs. We are going to draw up a scale drawing of our property, and then plot out our food beds as well as our ornamental beds. We also have a creek that runs the length of our property, we are thinking about digging a 1/4 acre pond down near the creak, this will allow us to raise a modest amount of fish.

If all goes well and according to plan, we will have 2 cattle/15 goats, 100 meat chickens, 50 egg chickens, 1/4 acre pond, and about an 1/2 acre garden. All this on just 2 acres of ground, granted we have a tiny house. There is a lot of work ahead of us, sounds like I am going to lose a lot of weight this fall and next spring.

And btw egg layers also make good eating chickens if you get a large breed layer, like brahmas, buff orpingtons and other heritage breeds. these breeds also reproduce nicely.

In essence, we will be spending our grocery budget on hay for the animals because we do not have enough pasture land to properly rotate without need of supplementation. But we will get to eat foods, that we raised and know exactly what went into them.

Our long term goal is to address the pasture land issue, but a potential move to Western Montana. We want enough land to rotate the grazing animals without the need to buy hay, we also would like to have enough to raise our own hay crop for the winter months, and to sell as a small income to offset some of our costs.

There is a couple of great videos on how to process chickens. This is a two part video:

WARNING: A chicken is harmed (mortally) in the making of this video, not for the faint of stomach. - but then again we are all carnivores here, if you cannot handle the dispaching of a chicken perhaps you should go to the other side

respectful chicken harvest part 1
    respectful chicken harvest part 2

Her method is so much easier on you and the chicken than many of the conventional ways, trust me I know we have tried a number of ways.
    -- Chris

Primal Since: July 20, 2011
    Starting Korg Weight: 315 lbs.
    Current Weight: 263 lbs.
    Goal Grok weight: 175 lbs.

Nexium Last Day: January 1, 2012

Website: Ezekiel's Garden, where we talk about faith, permacuture, green building, sustainable living and of course primal living.

periquin is offline Senior Member
    Welcome to the forum and hope you find joy-------I have a small bit of land in a small OK town. My place is on the edge of town and there is just prairie, woods, and a OK river that doesn't match up with the PA rivers of my youth. I would call this river a creek (that's crick in 'good' Pennsylvania English). Will Rogers --an OK boy par excellence-- said that rivers in OK are too wet to plow and too thick to drink.

Now that the social bit is done, here is the business. I gardened just about forever. The past few years I went to an easy old man's garden. I gathered local wild edible plants and gradually propagated them on my bit of heaven. My place looks like just weeds and then more weeds, but it is all food and it grows easy and comes back every year on its own, with almost total immunity to bugs and disease. We eat pretty well. The garden plot is surrounded by tall flowers so the neighbors don't have to think I am ruining their property values. I do grow other things too that normal people consider proper for a garden. I have just started using self watering containers that I make from 5 gallon buckets and put assorted wild flowers in the place of my old 'regular' garden. The self watering containers are spread about among the semi-dwarf fruit trees and dwarf hickory nut cultivar that I have. I can get pecans a bunch from any lawn, park, or school yard in town. Owners are happy for me to rake them up. The edge of my land by the road has an African sweet potato cultivar that also just stays on its own. The leaves are edible and prevent the growth of weeds. People like the ivy look. Work free. I have a small section of Oriental vegetables started with seed from a place in California.

I want chickens and maybe two goats. If I can get some of the adjacent property I would like at least one burro. The last would be for fun. Some people around here that, like me, aren't in the deep country keep miniature horses instead of lawn mowers. Sounds great to me.

I have had some small success the past three years setting up some Mason bee homes to ensure pollinators . No honey, but no hive die offs either. And I have been told that they are a good match against the Africanized killer bees that are creeping up from Baja Oklahoma---that's Texas for some people. The Mason bee is the indigenous North American bee. The honey bee was the signal to the original tribes that soon they would be loosing their land to the people who brought that bee from Europe.

Well, that's me, mostly.

I admire and enjoy your endeavor and goal and style. Be happy.
    Tayatha om bekandze

Bekandze maha bekandze

Randza samu gate soha

Quote Originally Posted by Leanne View Post
    In regard to the exercise you get from gardening/farming I think as well as the physical benefits there comes a huge sense of accomplishment when your body is tired but you feel that you have done a good honest day's productivity. Not like in retail or an office where you never seem to move forward in your day to day work.
    The main tenet of permaculture is to limit energy waste as much as possible. So when you are working the land, you are expending energy, but you are putting it to work to feed you. Talk about coming full circle. I have nothing against exercises, in fact I plan to master the 5 primal essential movements, but this is primarily because i am in terrible shape. But spend hours exercising every week, that does not produce anything outside of me, sort of seems like wasted energy. I may be crazy, but I would like to put that effort and energy to use. YMMV
    -- Chris

Website: Ezekiel's Garden, where we talk about faith, permacuture, green building, sustainable living and of course primal living.

Quote Originally Posted by Knifegill View Post
    Clearly B is more Primal, but A can still eat well and stimulate his body and mind fairly well and will find better health overall than Korg ever will.
    Absolutely, I am surprised that my original post was misinterpreted so easily.

BTW - if you jump out, pick the doe, not the buck - the antlers can really do a lot of damage
    -- Chris

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    I would love to, and someday I might be able to. Right now, I live in the middle of the city which is in the middle of the desert. We basically have sand on top of caliche and bugs to spare (saw 2 camel spiders within an hour on my route last week, and cockroaches and ants are everywhere). Add in extreme heat (usually around 115F) in the summer and freezing temps (about 12F) plus wind in the winter, and nothing much grows here. We're not even allowed to plant grass in our front yards anymore. It's illegal. Moving is impossible right now as family is here, and it would kill The Boyfriend to leave them behind. Besides, land is insanely expensive here, even if it would grow anything, which it really won't.

Exercise? I've got one of those freakish jobs that has me walking around outside for anywhere between 5 and 20 miles per day, 6 days a week, so I just don't exercise other than that.

Unfortunately, many people have to just make the best of the lives we have been given. It may not be a matter of choice.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

@periquin - thanks for the welcome - i liked what you had to say. One of our main goals is not only to feed my ever growing family, but as i near 40 I also wish to slow down a bit, and enjoy the life i have been given, vs running from job to job. My dream setup would be a chuck of land in Western Montana, a modest earth home that stays both cool in the summer, and warm in the winter with very little fuel. I want to wake up to the sound of birds and other critters, and work at living on the land and selling produce in town. I am a programmer now, and work out of the home. I am gone all day and in to the night many days. I am quite frankly tired of this, I am tired of the clutter. I want to live a simpler life with my wife and children.

Thanks for your input.
    -- Chris

Nicator is offline Senior Member
    I agree with your points. I would trade urban life in an instant if I could grow my own food and animals, and I doubt I'd ever set foot in a gym again. I simply cannot afford land.

girlarchitect is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Leanne View Post
    I would love to have chickens but I called to check the city by laws just in case and sure enough there is a law saying you must have at least one acre of land to have chickens and max 10 at that! The guy I spoke to at city hall encouraged me to write a letter asking council to review the by laws for urban poultry raising as there have been other inquiries recently.
    Definitely write your city council about changing the law on poultry - cities across the country are changing to permit them and it's a great idea for so many reasons. I'd also suggest, write a letter to every representative at the city and write a letter to the local paper.

I can't imagine a couple chickens on my balcony - sigh - but I am working on my co-op to get bee hives on our roofs. (wouldn't that be fun?)
    My primal journal that I don't update enough:
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33293.html

Quote Originally Posted by RitaRose View Post
    Unfortunately, many people have to just make the best of the lives we have been given. It may not be a matter of choice.
    I understand completely, and I hope your situation improves. I know how frustrating it feels to be boxed in on all sides. It has taken nearly 5 years to make what we have now even possible. We hope to make our next move in the next 2 years, that would be 7 years from starting the journey out west before we get their. But in this process, we will have to leave family as well, and that is never easy, nor should it be taken lightly.

Best wishes for you
    -- Chris

Quote Originally Posted by girlarchitect View Post
    Definitely write your city council about changing the law on poultry - cities across the country are changing to permit them and it's a great idea for so many reasons. I'd also suggest, write a letter to every representative at the city and write a letter to the local paper.
    Could not agree more, believe it or not, we live in the boonies, and have around 2 acres smack dab in the middle of an agricultural zone, but we had to get a zoning variance to have animals because we did not have enough acres. We applied, made our case and were granted the variance.
    -- Chris

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast