Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Living off the land, Living Primally page 2

Mike Gager is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gault View Post
    @mike - ROFL - Grok did not have a grocery store or farmers market either, nor did he have a television, radio, car, bicycle, gym membership, etc. So, let me get this straight, you walk around and gather nuts from trees and berries from bushes, and hunt for food with wood spears, rocks, or clubs?

I am an avid deer hunter as well, but I do like to use my modern archery equipment, and muzzle loader, not so sure jumping out of a tree with a knife would do so good
    im more of a gatherer, i gather stuff from the store
    Primal Chaos
    37yo 6'5"
    6-19-2011 393lbs 60" waist
    current 338lbs 49" waist
    goal 240lbs 35" waist

gault is offline Junior Member
    @Angieh - We do not have much more land than you, and we have chickens, and dairy goats. It is a lot of fun, and the endless supply of eggs is great - at one point we were selling most of our eggs because we did not eat them, but now we eat most of our eggs.

Please understand, I did not mean to suggest that "everyone" is doing only regimented exercise routines, I said it is all that I have seen thus far. I have also been doing loads of research on Google, and looking at tons of YouTube videos, and the vast majority of stuff tends to be related to formalized exercise routines.

I will spend more time over the coming weeks and months combing over the forum, but like I said, this was an attempt to offer a perspective that I had not found yet, and I stress "yet".
    -- Chris

Primal Since: July 20, 2011
    Starting Korg Weight: 315 lbs.
    Current Weight: 263 lbs.
    Goal Grok weight: 175 lbs.

Nexium Last Day: January 1, 2012

Website: Ezekiel's Garden, where we talk about faith, permacuture, green building, sustainable living and of course primal living.

Angieh is offline Senior Member
    Gotcha. Well, check out the blog that I linked to see a good example of someone farming for exercise. I got the impression you had a whole farm, cows, the whole 9 yards and farmed for a living. Is that your ultimate goal? We do hope to get chickens in next year or so -- we are very fortunate to have friends who supply farm eggs to us now. I personally could eat eggs 7 days a week! There are so many people posting on MDA -- check out the members list to get a sense of numbers - it's a LOT. You'll see after you stick around a while that there are some very divergent views too, but like I said, we all have the eating thing in common! Ha ... thank goodness.

Going to get some unregimented exercise right now by cleaning my house!

@Angieh - no we do not have the whole farm thing down yet - our long term goal is to move to western Montana, and live off the land. but my weight and general health has been stopping us. it is my hope that primal living will help us achieve our goals.

you will love having chickens - we routinely go out and watch what our kids call "farm tv" - a chicken chasing after a moth, or mouse can be quite fun to watch. keep this number in mind - a chicken will lay, depending on the breed, 300 days a year, a dozen chickens will get you around 9 eggs a day.

We have 4, soon to be five growing boys. we are going through 1-2 dozen eggs a day (breakfast only) depending on how they are prepared, we go through far more when we scramble them.

anyone who would say that cleaning house is not exercise, does not have children have fun!
    -- Chris

Website: Ezekiel's Garden, where we talk about faith, permacuture, green building, sustainable living and of course primal living.

erikJ is offline Senior Member
    Have you checked out Robb Wolf's Liberty garden project? He's been trying to push the need for more permaculture type projects. I personally have a small garden in my backyard, but I live in the city so not a lot of space. Enough for greens, Herbs and a few veggies. I also live in San Francisco so Not really all that warm. No seasons in general. We basically get spring and fall maybe a day or two of summer, so no tomatoes, etc. =( Might build a hot house this year though =)
    I love the idea of living off the land as much as possible. Especially in an urban environment. My neighbors and I do a meat share, and we share the garden responsibilities. I grew up with a huge garden and my dad is a homesteader up in washington so Im quite familiar with the concept. It really comes down to time, space and money. If you have all three its easy to do what you speak off if you lack one, a couple or all three, you will have a hard time. I feel lucky to have what I have. We grow at least a third of our own veggies, the rest we get from a local farmers market. If I didn't have to have a job to pay my rent then I would spend a lot more time working the land I got. Any $ saving types or space savers?

Mud Flinger is offline Senior Member
    Hey gault - you've got at least one kindred (and crazy) soul out here. We have 2 acres- one we have a house, pool and garden, chickens and turkeys on and the back one is currently vacant (except for the 2 bee hives). I am trying to grow all our own food and have gardened all my life and I agree whole heartedly with you about the work involved. Between the kids, dogs, house and food prep (inside and outside) I get lots of exercise. I love to hike and play, but I feel guilty doing it very often as there are always projects to do at home and a larger garden to plant. I am new to raising critters and will have my first "processing" experience in a few months when we kill our turkeys. My friends think I'm nuts and I have not found it to be cost efficient (turkeys eat a lot of feed) but it's all a learning experience. I have read that they feed turkeys arsenic to make them gain weight faster and they must kill them before they are ready to be able to sell them for the rediculous prices you see them for. One of our new batch of hens has turned out to be a rooster, so I'm thinking about raising chickens to eat also and not just for eggs. We'll see after the turkeys. We also have lots of fruit trees (mostly apples) but only one is producing - every other year. It is much harder to live off the land than one would expect in this world of run to the store and buy it, but when you look at the crazy stuff going on in this country, it does make you feel a bit more secure knowing that you have food in the garden, eggs and for you, a dairy source.

@erikJ - I have not heard of Robb Wolf, I will check that out - thanks!
    -- Chris

Leanne is offline Senior Member
    I have always dreamed of owning property and being as self-sustainable as possible. My husband and I bought a small urban home about 8 months ago and put in a couple of raised veggie beds. The soil is horrid though so I am slowly building it up with compost. I need a second composter! I would love to have chickens but I called to check the city by laws just in case and sure enough there is a law saying you must have at least one acre of land to have chickens and max 10 at that! The guy I spoke to at city hall encouraged me to write a letter asking council to review the by laws for urban poultry raising as there have been other inquiries recently. Our lot is tiny and hour house even tinier. But we have sky lights for passive solar heating and natural light (we never turn need to turn a light on all day until sun set!), good ventilation for cooling, a geothermal heating system and rain barrels for the yard. The thing about being environmentally friendly is it tends to be more cost efficient in the long run as our utility bills are fairly low.
    This house is our "five year plan" and we are hoping in five years to sell and buy several acres of property where we can properly feed and provide for ourselves.
    In regard to the exercise you get from gardening/farming I think as well as the physical benefits there comes a huge sense of accomplishment when your body is tired but you feel that you have done a good honest day's productivity. Not like in retail or an office where you never seem to move forward in your day to day work.
    The doctor of the future will give no medicine, but will interest his patients in the care of the human frame, in diet, and in the cause and prevention of disease. - Thomas Edison

Vancouver Island Primal and Paleo Living <<< join our Facebook Group

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    jumping out of a tree with a knife
    *scribble scribble* It's on my list now!

Seriously, I agree with the premise of your argument. Being outside and physically active as a way of life sure beats trips to a gym. But everybody is different. Maybe Grok A is so afraid of spiders he'd rather live in a sterile box and lift antiseptic weights, while Grok B just loves the taste of mineralized dirt and can't wait for the next vegetable he roots up while exploring the woodland. Clearly B is more Primal, but A can still eat well and stimulate his body and mind fairly well and will find better health overall than Korg ever will.

mamagault is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    @erikJ - I wish I could remember, but there is a nice dude somewhere in the PNW that does urban permaculture. He'd be a good resource.

As far as urban/suburban gardening, we had quite the nice little garden in our suburban backyard. I didn't really know much about permaculture then, but did compost & spread it over the garden. Maybe not enough to can (though one year a single cuke plant made something like 20 pints of quick dills). As far as space saving, maybe going up? I have seen some pics online of tiered raised beds, 2-3 tiers. Would work well for strawberries, maybe lettuces... Another thing I did was raise mainly pole habit green beans.

Hth!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast