Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cat Allergies page

IvyBlue is offline Senior Member

Cat Allergies

Primal Fuel
    Since my seasonal allergies have completely disappeared, would it be reasonable to assume that my allergy to cats has also, or has at least been diminished? Anyone w/ experience on this?

No local friends w/ cats to test this out, I usually have to be overnight in a place to know. We've had a mouse problem the last couple of years (I think my downstairs neighbor feeds them, horrified that I put out traps) and I wouldn't mind getting a decent mouser around here.
    Wheat is the new tobacco. Spread the word.

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    I am no longer allergic to individual cats, but 4 cats seem to set me off (I think it's an emotional thing--more like a phobia than an allergy, IYKWIM!)

kitana is offline Senior Member
    Teh husband has experienced this since going Paleo (and he's uber strict due to GI issues). He is allergic to cats, dogs and dust (mites). My parents have cats and previously he had been unable to spend more than a few hours in the house due to allergies, maybe double that with medication (that he hates no matter how much it swears there are no side effects). We just got back from a 4-day trip where we slept there! :O We also spent 4 days in a dusty, cat-filled house a few months ago and he did great! I feel like a tent revival preacher, but it's been practically miraculous. He's not 100%, but it's so much better than it has ever been, even with medication.

Hopefully this is your experience as well!

Daemonized is offline Senior Member
    A good friend of mine's mother has about twenty three indoor cats and a few more that hang around outdoors. In her defense she does a great job of keeping up after then as much as you can when you have that many. My friend is allergic to cats and can't be in her house for very long at all before he starts having trouble breathing. Just walking by her place would most likely be an acid test for you.

IvyBlue is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    I am no longer allergic to individual cats, but 4 cats seem to set me off (I think it's an emotional thing--more like a phobia than an allergy, IYKWIM!)
    My sister has 3 but she's on the opposite side of the country, I take a hotel room when I visit. I'll have to head out there and see.
    Wheat is the new tobacco. Spread the word.

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    Go to a pet shelter for an hour or so. The sheer numbers would likely make up for the lack of time.

Also, if you are looking for a cat, there are a few hypo-allergenic breeds, (Maine coon, perhaps?)

Also also, I have two. Do you want to come over and play (Cleveland Circle area)?

Setabas is offline Senior Member
    My sesonal allergies went away withing a few days of going primal. My cat allergies (my only other allergies) continue on though...

treadwisely is offline Junior Member
    Doesn't help for allergies with someone else's cat but...I feed my cat a raw diet (meat/bones/organs) and many others who do claim that the cat no longer causes symptoms in people allergic to cats. I don't know anyone with cat allergies to test my cat with. Her coat is *so* much softer and less greasy than when I first adopted her as a kibble-fed shelter ward, and she doesn't shed as much.

namelesswonder is online now Moderator
    Going to a shelter is a good idea. Also you might get more information about whether the cat would be a good mouser if you adopt an older one from a shelter/local person rather than pet store or kitten. Some just don't take to it.

Both of our cats are mousers. They do a lot of torturing though. One turns them inside out (I kid you not), the other likes to disable them as much as possible, and SOMETIMES eats everything but the tail.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

girlarchitect is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by treadwisely View Post
    Doesn't help for allergies with someone else's cat but...I feed my cat a raw diet (meat/bones/organs) and many others who do claim that the cat no longer causes symptoms in people allergic to cats. I don't know anyone with cat allergies to test my cat with. Her coat is *so* much softer and less greasy than when I first adopted her as a kibble-fed shelter ward, and she doesn't shed as much.
    I agree - the quality of diet of the animal can improve their coats (stands to reason) and many people find them less allergic.
    My primal journal that I don't update enough:
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33293.html

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast