Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Newbie checking in page

  1. #1
    that_guy's Avatar
    that_guy is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    12

    Newbie checking in

    I've been reading around both the site and the forum for a little while now. I thought I'd sign up and say hello. Anyhow, I recently decided that I needed to do something about my weight. In the last three years I've gone from 185lbs to 235lbs @ 5''8" and feel horrible all the time. A friend of mine who is heavily involved with CrossFit suggested I look into the primal/paleo style diets. I like what I'm reading (especially since I won't have to give up bacon!) and have decided to convince my wife that this is the direction we should go (she's looking at slim-fast). Over the course of this week I've been eating lots of leafy greens and meat and I've been using a fitday type application to keep track of everything. I've noticed that despite feeling like I've been eating more and being full I'm only eating 900-1000 cal/day. Should I just push myself to eat more? Many have suggested eating nuts as snack food, but I'm allergic to every kind I've tried (yeah, not just a peanut allergy here).

    Otherwise I'm really enjoying the community here and hope to be one of your success stories soon.

  2. #2
    Captain Archer's Avatar
    Captain Archer is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    556
    First thing I would love to tell you is that Slim Fast doesn't work.
    My personal experience with Slim Fast: Tastes like garbage, gained 10 pounds in a month, and hated doing anything that involved cardio.
    My personal experience with Primal Lifestyle: Love what I eat, lost 5% body fat in 2 months, and love doing moderate to low impact cardio.

    If you weigh in at 235 pounds, I would suggest avoid eating 900 to 1,000 calories a day. Simple math you would be doing more harm to your body than good. Focus on body fat rather than the scale, best advice I was ever given!

    235 pounds I am assuming your lean body mass would be around 160.
    So eat .5g to 1g of protein per pound of lbm = 80 to 160grams of protein.
    Keep carbohydrates down to around 20-50grams.
    Fat should be .8 to 1.5g of body weight = 188g to 300g.

    So now then lets see how many calories we are eating...
    2250 of fat, 320 of protein to 640 of protein, 80 to 200 of carbohydrates.
    That gives you a total of 2,900 calories.

    But wait where is the science that says you should eat 2,900 calories?
    Calorie Needs :
    3057.51
    Calorie Calculator, Calorie Intake, Calories Required For Travelers, Calories For Visitors.

    So although I was off by 157 on average that shouldn't make much of a difference it should put you in a daily calorie deficit.


    Now from my personal experience I don't believe in calories, I believe in carbohydrates.
    I eat around 5/6k calories a day since going Primal I have lost 5% body fat in only 2 months.
    I wouldn't say this method works for everyone but it works for me.

  3. #3
    that_guy's Avatar
    that_guy is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    12
    I was only using the calorie counter to keep track of fat/carb/protein, it was the easiest way I could find to keep track. I agree with your calorie assessment even without the links

    I'm not, by any means, trying to starve myself. I've just noticed that my calorie intake has been in the 900-1000 range. I'm not hungry, most of the time I feel stuffed by the time I have finished (to the point of not finishing some) my meals. Is this a product of the crappy way I've been eating?

    My breakdowns of the last few days I average about 10% carbs and fat/protein split pretty evenly. I just can't seem to eat more than I currently am. I guess I need to add more meat in? That seems the easiest way to add both fat and protein.

    Thanks for the advice, now I just have to figure out how to get my intake up a little bit. As far as exercise, I bike 3-4 times a week for about an hour. I know this isn't the kind of exercise recommended here, but as a reformed smoker I'm trying to rebuild my lungs. It's a start in the right direction anyway.

    BTW, I whole heartedly agree about slim-fast. I've never seen it be effective for anyone I know that has tried it.

  4. #4
    Captain Archer's Avatar
    Captain Archer is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    556
    A great way to get more protein in your diet is coconut milk and almond milk. Make sure it says lactose and soy free..
    A great way to get more fat into your diet would be coconut oil and olive oil.
    A great way to get more micronutrients into your diet is eating calf liver or beef liver from grass finished cows.
    A great way to get more calories in your diet when you are not hungry is almond butter (make your own.. if you want I will give you a recipe)
    A great way to get more protein and fat into your diet is making protein brownies and ice cream and pancakes.
    You would be amazed at what you can do with whey protein once you learn to cook with it.

  5. #5
    lucyh's Avatar
    lucyh is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    San Diego County
    Posts
    386
    Slim-fast should be considered a form of torture. Just read the ingredient list to your wife, maybe that will help her decide. Also, I never thought a can was particularly filling, and I like to eat too much to replace a meal with a drink. That's just not right.
    My Primal Journal with lots of food pr0n

  6. #6
    that_guy's Avatar
    that_guy is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Archer View Post
    A great way to get more protein in your diet is coconut milk and almond milk. Make sure it says lactose and soy free..
    A great way to get more fat into your diet would be coconut oil and olive oil.
    A great way to get more micronutrients into your diet is eating calf liver or beef liver from grass finished cows.
    A great way to get more calories in your diet when you are not hungry is almond butter (make your own.. if you want I will give you a recipe)
    A great way to get more protein and fat into your diet is making protein brownies and ice cream and pancakes.
    You would be amazed at what you can do with whey protein once you learn to cook with it.
    You missed the part where I'm allergic to nuts, which really sucks because I hear such great things about almond butter.

    I'll have to look into some of these though. I don't have much of a sweet tooth so I haven't really felt cravings for desert type items. Although I pushed my hour ride yesterday to 15.5 miles and all I wanted when I got off the bike was a big cheeseburger. Loosing bread has been hard this week, but I have noticed that the craving is lessening. I'll have to look in to coconut oil. Olive oil is a staple in my house.

  7. #7
    that_guy's Avatar
    that_guy is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by lucyh View Post
    Slim-fast should be considered a form of torture. Just read the ingredient list to your wife, maybe that will help her decide. Also, I never thought a can was particularly filling, and I like to eat too much to replace a meal with a drink. That's just not right.
    Considering my wife sucks back 3-5 cans of Mountain Dew and easily 2 cups of coffee. I don't think she will be phased by the chemical list on that can.

  8. #8
    Captain Archer's Avatar
    Captain Archer is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    556
    Oh sorry about the nut allergies.
    That would be painful for me.. 2 months now and I believe I have consumed around 60 pounds of nuts ... o.o
    If you are allergic to nuts you might want to skip the coconut.. try and see I guess o.o
    If nothing else you can make man salads: 1/2 pound of pork/chicken/etc meat. 1 pound of spinach, 2 to 5 tbsp of olive oil. I eat this on a regular basis for lunch.

  9. #9
    belinda's Avatar
    belinda is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    London, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    1,507
    As a 5'4, 152 lb female, I have a hard time wrapping my head around you eating 900-1000 calories and feeling full. I could do 2000 without even trying although I try to stay in the 1600 range.
    Newcomers: If you haven't read the book, at least read this thread ... and all the links!
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread17722.html

    F/49/5'4"
    Jan. 1, 2011: 186.6 lbs PBSW Mar. 1, 2011: 175.8 lbs
    CW: 146.8 lbs
    GW 140 lbs
    A proud member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals

  10. #10
    that_guy's Avatar
    that_guy is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    12
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Archer View Post
    Oh sorry about the nut allergies.
    That would be painful for me.. 2 months now and I believe I have consumed around 60 pounds of nuts ... o.o
    If you are allergic to nuts you might want to skip the coconut.. try and see I guess o.o
    If nothing else you can make man salads: 1/2 pound of pork/chicken/etc meat. 1 pound of spinach, 2 to 5 tbsp of olive oil. I eat this on a regular basis for lunch.
    So far, I've been fine with coconuts. I will have to monitor that for a while though. That salad sound exactly like my kind of food though. Are your meat weights pre or post cooking?

    Quote Originally Posted by belinda View Post
    As a 5'4, 152 lb female, I have a hard time wrapping my head around you eating 900-1000 calories and feeling full. I could do 2000 without even trying although I try to stay in the 1600 range.
    I think it's more because for the last decade I've skipped breakfast and frequently lunch too. Maybe I just need to get used to eating more food.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •