Thread: What looks like an orange yellow spaghetti squash on the outside, but... page

Lynna is offline Senior Member

What looks like an orange yellow spaghetti squash on the outside, but...

I had a volunteer squash come up from a compost pile this spring and I let it grow. I love volunteer plants and trying to figure out what they will become. It's shaped like a spaghetti squash, maybe a little thinner and longer with yellow/orange skin, but inside the flesh is light green and it doesn't "shred." I'm pretty sure it came up from a whole squash that someone had given me and I threw it on the compost heap because I didn't really want it - it was before primal. I'm wondering if the former plant cross-bred with some other squash or it I just picked it too soon. The stem had started to turn brown and the skin was hard so I figured it was okay to pick and cook. I've got at least 7 more on the plant which is taking over my yard.

CoyoteVick is offline Senior Member
    squash are notoriously hybrid-able.. so who knows what you've got! Try cooking it and see if it's edible!

Quote Originally Posted by CoyoteVick View Post
    squash are notoriously hybrid-able.. so who knows what you've got! Try cooking it and see if it's edible!
    I've already cooked it. It just gets mushy and doesn't form "noodles." It tastes okay. I put spaghetti sauce over it anyway.

belinda is offline Senior Member
    Is it a yellow zucchini?
    Newcomers: If you haven't read the book, at least read this thread ... and all the links!
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread17722.html

F/49/5'4"
    Jan. 1, 2011: 186.6 lbs PBSW Mar. 1, 2011: 175.8 lbs
    CW: 146.8 lbs
    GW 140 lbs
    A proud member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals

Shaped nothing like a zucchini and the skin is tough like on a winter squash and it's hard as heck to cut.

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    Maybe a spaghetti squash/ calabaza hybrid?
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

Nion is offline Senior Member
    Sounds like a hybrid..
    I'm a paleo foodie, come check out my recipes: http://strangekitty.ca/

carlh is offline Senior Member
    If it was still green flesh, what are the chances it was just severely under-ripe?

mrs_moesy is offline Member
    We had a zucchini/spaghetti squash love child in the garden last year. I did a smidge of research and discovered the first year love squashes are just spaghetti squashes in zucchini clothes. But it's the second year where things get crazy.

If it has a hard rind, you might want to try baking it. I know it's summer and the thought of turning on the oven is gross, but baked squash, with a little maple syrup drizzle and a pork chop is pretty yummy.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    @carlh - from what I've read winter squash is "ripe" when the stem turns brown and the skin is no longer easily punctured which this squash was.

@mrs_moesy - the flesh isn't rich and sweet like butternut or acorn, so I'm not sure the drizzle would do it justice. I have microwaved acorn squash and had it turn out fine, so baking isn't absolutely necessary.

I was just curious if maybe there was some other squash that looked like spaghetti squash, but wasn't, I couldn't find anything in my internet searches. I've come the the conclusion that I must have a hybrid of some sort. I'm wondering if the person who gave me the original squash, whose seeds created this monster that is taking over my yard, was also growing zucchini and a hybrid was created. I haven't had a chance to ask them. I'm a little disappointed that the 2 I've cooked so far did not have the spaghetti strands, but I will still eat them. Free is good and they taste fine.