Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: less frequent bowel movements since going primal page

Ace
    Ace is offline Junior Member

Shop Now

Hi all,

Apologies in advance for the topic but I feel it's a necessary one...since going primal 2 weeks ago my toilet habits are a lot less frequent and its hard when I do go.

I have suffered with IBS for half my life (I'm 31) and have managed to get it under control over the last 3 years - mainly thanks to Peppermint! Anyway I have always suffered with constipation and following CW doctors kept up with a high fibre diet ie extra bran with muesli in a morning, every morning to keep on top of things.

Since cutting out bad carbs as per primal blueprint (bought it and still working thru the book) - which is great and I feel much better, lighter, less bloating, my bodyfat is slowly dropping and I'm loving my primal eating (mainly eggs,chicken,veg,salad,salmon,nuts and fruits,flax & olive oils - although still struggling for breakfast ideas when I don't fancy eggs every day ) my constipation is back with a vengence - any help or advice please???

I upped my vitamin C from 1000mg to 2000mg and then to 3000mg a day and that helped but surely my eating should be good enough shouldn't it?

Am I just jumping the gun and my body is still getting used to the new way of eating and it will sort itself out on it's own???? Or am I missing something???

Ace
    Ace is offline Junior Member

Sorry this is in the wrong section - can someone move it please - sorry - I didn't use the drop down - I saw it as I pressed send and it was too late

soror is offline Senior Member

How is your fat intake? A couple Ts of coco oil can usually get things moving if it needs to be.

Mama to 4, wife to my love

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

Are you truly constipated, i.e., difficult BM's, or are you just doing it less frequently?

I posted here some months ago about my 92 yo mother, hospitalized twice for explosive diarrhea, dehydration. She even submitted to another colonoscopy, the experts could only say, "Eat plenty of fiber."

When she was at her wit's end and willing to try anything, I put her on an extremely low fiber diet, about 6 grams per day. Fixed her in two days. She's had only a few episodes since then, and we've not really been keeping close tabs on her fiber.

I suggest reading all the online stuff at "Fiber Menace." Google that. It really opened my eyes.

FairyRae2 Guest

Are you doing any probiotic foods (cultured vegetables like sauerkraut or kimchi, kefir, yogurt, kombucha, etc.) or taking a probiotic supp? I think that would be vital to someone w/ IBS symptoms. I also find that eating a cup a day (spread throughout the day) of my homemade kimchi can really get things moving! You can buy lactofermented sauerkraut and pickles from Bubbies--their sauerkraut and kosher dill pickles are full of living good buggies which are sooo helpful for digestion. I've also read that the probiotic supp. primal defense is awesome.

There is info out there on how the SAD is TOO high in fiber, and that our bodies get dependant on it to function. This might be part of the difficulty you're having now--getting used to being w/out the fibrous whole grains (although fruits and veggies certainly have a lot.)

Hope you figure this out soon! I too would look into the fat issue. Fats can be really healing, esp for folks w/ gut issues (like IBS). I want to second soror--coconut oil is AMAZING! And homemade bone broth w/ the fat can also be a really healing food for folks w/ IBS.

Steve-O is offline Senior Member

This works for me:

4 prunes

or

Cup of hot water with two teaspoons of cider vinegar

I don't recommend this every day, but only once in a while.

Everyone is different. This is the one thing I take away from everything I'm reading about diet and nutrition. For some people nuts are constipating. For others it can be salt. For others it can be fat. And for others it can be fiber. It really can be anything.

misathemeb is offline Member

eating tons of leafy veg with PB has kept me regular. however, i second the ACV trick, def get you going

nina_70 Guest

If you've been eating high-fiber for a long time prior to PB, it can take a while for the body to re-adjust to a lower intake (I do think there is truth to what FairyRae2 wrote about bodies becoming accostomed to excess fiber in order to function).

Some things that can work in those situations

- slowly decrease fiber intake over a period of weeks. You can add-in fiber in the form of prunes, or coconut treats (coconut is quite high-fiber), and then ramp it down over a period of time

- add coconut oil 1-2 times/day (for many increasing fat intake can help get things moving again)

And...by the way congrats on the reduction in bloating! I suffered from years of bloating & gas before I discovered BP and removed grains from my diet. Never realized what an effect they were having on me.

Sharonll is offline Senior Member

I guess constipation isn't a good thing, but I can only wish that I was constipated once in a while. I have the opposition problem, can't survive without Immodium. Sigh.

emmie is online now Senior Member

I have suffered from the same issue. When I was just eating low carb, I used to eat bran crackers every day (just 2 carbs each), and I stayed fairly regular with magnesium supplements.

Since giving up grains completely, I've really suffered world-class constipation. Nothing helped. And it got serious. I finally bought my bran crackers again just for a weekend to get going, and they worked (along with a laxative--that didn't work on its own).

Now I've bought psyllium to use as a supplement so that I won't have to rely on bran. I'm assuming that psyllium isn't a grain, but if it is, I might need it.

My issues are not typical, so others won't need to be this radical.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast