Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: No Carb Muscle Building page

ozbuckley is offline Senior Member

No Carb Muscle Building

Primal Fuel
    Hey Guys,

Whats the story with building muscle with no carbs or very low carbs (50g max)?

Is this possible?

I ask because Im on a strict anti-fungal diet where I can only eat a maximum of 50g of carbs a day... non starchy carbs by the way. I cannot eat any sugar at all (including fruit), and butter is the only dairy I can eat.

On top of this Im an ectomorph bodytype.

Has anyone had any success with this kind of thing or have any advice?

Thanks

Oz

Primal Fist is offline Senior Member
    I won't lie to you, that's going to be very difficult. What's the deal with the diet?

Open_Cover is offline Junior Member
    It is possible. There have been bodybuilders who bulked while in Ketosis - the only way to know is to try it for sure, and you can never be certain that any testimony you read online wasn't at least partially the result of good old fashioned exogenous hormones.

Try to find some information on The Anabolic Diet by Dr. Mauro DiPasquale. (Sometimes called The Anabolic Solution).

I think at minimum if you're going to try to bulk with no carbs you'll need very high calories. If you're very serious, you might want to shoot an email to someone like Shelby Starnes to see if you can get some real help.

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    I personally gained more fat than i wanted when I tried bulking on a high-fat diet and had better success followings leangains. I have heard of people using a fairly high-fat low carb diet to build muscle so I guess it's possible.

Open_Cover is offline Junior Member
    Yeah the awkward part here from a training standpoint is going to be the impossibility of a true re-feed day (per conventional keto diets).

Also I think Dave Palumbo might have an "off-season" (bulking) diet that would work or nearly fit with these requirements, or at least shed some insight on others experiences. The people familiar with these diets might be more on the pro-steroid side than the OP, though, so of course that should be considered when reading about results.

The problems are that you're going to need to trigger an anabolic state in your body to grow muscle, which is most commonly and easily done by ingesting carbs post-workout, and that you're going to need a large amount of energy from your diet to keep training after the first few weeks, or at most a couple of months. Without carbs in your diet it will be very tricky to get in as much food as you're going to need (and it will be a lot more than if you were eating carbs) and you're not going to recover as easily. By a long shot.

That said, I think contacting someone like Shelby Starnes is a good plan - although he does deal with steroid guys, he does work with naturals as well. Worth a shot. I'm assuming from your phrasing that the low-carb thing is not by choice and somewhat non-negotiatable... if it is your choice then I would recommend you ditch it, obviously.

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    well, there's muscle and there's muscle mass. i think low carb is just fine for building muscle, meaning that your muscles will be denser, harder and stronger. you'll definitely want to pound that protein, not just for muscle rebuilding, but because gluconeogenesis will use that protein to refill energy stores. eating more carbs is great for muscle mass, since the glycogen will make you get bigger...a la primalfist's comment.

i can tell you from personal experience that i have seen some serious strength gains since i went primal (my carbs are usually around 50, unless i'm doing a refeed...or eating a pie just because). i'm not an ectomorph, but my muscles are starting to pop a little more than they used to and i'm starting to look the way i want. i think building muscle on low carb is a definite possibility.

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    i can tell you from personal experience that i have seen some serious strength gains since i went primal (my carbs are usually around 50, unless i'm doing a refeed...or eating a pie just because). i'm not an ectomorph, but my muscles are starting to pop a little more than they used to and i'm starting to look the way i want. i think building muscle on low carb is a definite possibility.
    +1 My carbs are higher now, but I was seeing good strength progression when I was eating vlc (under 50 g/carb/day)

I guess it depends on your definition of strength progression - not knocking anybody by the way, but people do have different ideas and I have no idea what the OP's are. If you want a 100kg bench press and 180kg squat, that's going to be very tough doing VLC.

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Primal Fist View Post
    I guess it depends on your definition of strength progression - not knocking anybody by the way, but people do have different ideas and I have no idea what the OP's are. If you want a 100kg bench press and 180kg squat, that's going to be very tough doing VLC.
    hell yeah it's going to be tough. and it's going to take a while...maybe a long while for a 180kg squat. but i think that's a good point...we need to know some specific goals.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast