Thread: HIIT post workout meal - high-carb, low-carb, other, or not at all? page

trippplez is offline Member

HIIT post workout meal - high-carb, low-carb, other, or not at all?

Primal Fuel
    I did a bit of research in the forum about this but didn't found any definitive answer for my specific workout and eating lifestyle.

Most of the time, let's say 5-6 days a week, I:

* fast from midnight to 6-7 PM (18 hour fast)
    * do a HIIT workout on the elliptical, currently using the Sprint 8 protocol (4 min warm-up, 8 x 30 sec push, 1:30 low intensity, for total of 18-20 min)
    * bodyweight exercises everyday, currently using the book "Convict Conditioning", at the very first level of the 4 basic exercises. I do them randomly during the day, every other day I do 2 of the exercises.

My question is: what to eat after the HIIT? The main goal of the HIIT workout is to maximise the body fat loss. Currently I'm not eating after the HIIT, I eat at least 1-2 hours after that because I prepare a meal at home or go out and eat some. I know that I sound pretty extreme with the HIIT, the fasting, the not-eating PWO, this is because I'm confused what to do as a combination. I also guess that the changes in the body composition are so small because of my current state: male, 6'5, 188 lbs, 6% BF. I know that I'm on the edge of the body fat but I really want to push down to around 5% BF.

Here are photos of me (not flexed/flexed):

Bump (sorry about that )

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    Honestly I'm not sure what would be most beneficial. Usually for maximum fat loss, low carb seems to work better. However carb refeeding has a proven track record and it seems you would be pretty glycogen depleted after HIIT, so it seems this would be a good time to take in carbs. Try it and see how it works I guess. At the least, it seems like it would help build muscle with minimal fat gain which would decrease your (already ridiculously low) BF percentage.

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    Honestly, I think you are at the point where you are far beyond most people's experiences here. I don't know of anyone else here who is really trying to get below 8-10%, which is the lower limit of most healthy men. Intentionally trying to get below that is really not Primal, in my opinion. That's like trying to run a marathon or deadlift 800 pounds- yes, people can do it, but it requires a bit more than most people have or are willing to give, and there may be some compromises to your health that you might have to make.

You'd probably do better asking on forums for the "display" bodybuilders (as opposed to the functional ones) or something similar. This is a website focused on health, not extreme achievements of humans. Sorry.

claude512 is offline Senior Member
    well looking at your pictures you are at a stage that most will never achieve, and it is very hard to come by good information... However I think you would be the perfect candidate for the LeanGains approach, so you might want to look at that website, and maybe contact the guy for a training plan (the website gives an idea, but the real thing is behind a pay wall, as he is a personal trainer)

I don't think you will get much below your bodyfat that you have now, but maybe adding a bit of muscle is the look you are after? anyway, look at the leangains site, it is really cut out for people like you (and I mean that as a compliment, not in any derogatory sense)

Thanks for the replies, guys.

The thing is though, I came up with the daily fasting almost by accident, and it really seems to help me maintain my weight and BF levels. Actually, I would say that is even easy, not some torture protocol. I eat fruits daily, by big numbers (like 15 lbs watermelon ) Some big junk meal, like pizza, weekly.

Since I started doing the HIIT workout recently, I was just wondering about how it changes the big picture since it is almost daily routine. Since the bodyweight exercises that I'm doing are not hard (yet), I started doing them daily, along with the HIIT. I've read that in general, this is wrong, but I don't feel extreme fatigue or muscle soreness, so I guess maybe the training is actually pretty light for me.

albert88en is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by trippplez View Post
    Thanks for the replies, guys.

The thing is though, I came up with the daily fasting almost by accident, and it really seems to help me maintain my weight and BF levels. Actually, I would say that is even easy, not some torture protocol. I eat fruits daily, by big numbers (like 15 lbs watermelon ) Some big junk meal, like pizza, weekly.

Since I started doing the HIIT workout recently, I was just wondering about how it changes the big picture since it is almost daily routine. Since the bodyweight exercises that I'm doing are not hard (yet), I started doing them daily, along with the HIIT. I've read that in general, this is wrong, but I don't feel extreme fatigue or muscle soreness, so I guess maybe the training is actually pretty light for me.
    Hey! Glad to see a fellow IF'er here. I follow the 16/8 Leangains approach as I'm never hungry in the morning anyway, I workout fasted and then feast like a beast! After a workout (HIIT, CrossFit, Weightlifting) I take in at least 150g of carbs (Sweet Potato, Yam, Carrots sometimes White Potatoes), rest days I keep it low carb, low calorie and it seems to be doing the trick.

It's also amazing that you can sit down and cram 2000 calories in a meal and still cut BF%

Jeff_the_Curious is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Hey, sorry to bring up a few month old thread, but I ran across this via google search and wanted to throw out my two cents. I'm doing a similar HIIT to the Sprint 8 mentioned above, less structured(because I'm a rebel ) but I end up doing about the same amount of sprinting and low intensity.

Anyways, I've struggled with the PWO nutrition as well, I don't handle milk all that well and I don't always have leftover meat to scarf down right away along with some tubers. I've discovered that I'm much more tolerant of full fat greek yogurt with a few handfuls of berries and recently I've been doing 4-6oz of blueberry kefir. So far I haven't felt any ill effects and it keeps me from going through a state of low energy that I'd experience if I didn't eat.

I'm around 10% BF and I'm also looking to just add some muscle, and so far after a few weeks I'm up about 1.5 lbs and keeping lean. HIIT is so efficient! I love that I've cut my weekly mileage in half and am seeing better/faster results.