Thread: Backpacking in Yosemite triumph page

jkr
    jkr is offline Senior Member

Backpacking in Yosemite triumph

Primal Fuel
    Just wanted to toot my horn, so to speak. Last week, I backpacked 31+ miles in Yosemite with a 30lb pack and I did the entire trek in my barefoot Merrell's. Of the 6 on the trip, I had the least amount of foot problems and most easily crossed the creeks and streams.

The first day was almost entirely uphill, complete with random snow drifts. The 3rd day was Half Dome. The 4th and final day was mostly downhill with .5 mile of wet granite "stairs" ranging from 2 in to 2 ft high. My calves were very sore and my feet were tired but it was much better than the blisters everyone else got.

:-)

lorichka6 is online now Senior Member
    Did you train for the extra weight wearing those shoes? I don't know the trail conditions in the West at all (I'm in UPSNY) - are you walking on dirt, rocks, roots, sand...? How long had you been using those shoes before this trip? Guess it just reminds us that people were living and thriving in those areas long before big ol' hiking boots came along

Sort of related - I just got back from the Whites in NH. The fastest of the thru hikers on the AT should have been around there. We passed maybe 10 or so. I was totally expecting SOMEONE to be in Vibrams type shoes but no one was...

yodiewan is online now Senior Member
    Awesome! I would love to do something like this. I'm very jealous. I've been thinking/planning about how I will pack when I do a multi-day hike. Any tips on gear/food? I'm definitely going to bring plenty of jerky, maybe pemmican too, and possibly some starch (white rice, potato flakes, or dehydrated sweet potato) and dried fruit/druit leathers.

jkr
    jkr is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by lorichka6 View Post
    Did you train for the extra weight wearing those shoes? I don't know the trail conditions in the West at all (I'm in UPSNY) - are you walking on dirt, rocks, roots, sand...? How long had you been using those shoes before this trip? Guess it just reminds us that people were living and thriving in those areas long before big ol' hiking boots came along
    I've been wearing barefoot like shoes for over a year now so I didn't have to train much, about 6 weeks of random walks and hikes with my pack. The terrain was extremely variable and included everything you mentioned plus snow. Snow was the worst due to traction (but that's b/c I have the Pace gloves instead of trail shoes) and sand was nearly as bad. My calves tired of the sand very quickly.

Annoyingly, many people on the trail tried to tell me it wasn't a good idea. Yet, I had fewer problems than most. When I (and my husband wearing hiking boots) pointed that out, most replied that it was just b/c my pack wasn't that heavy and I'd roll an ankle with a 40# pack. Le sigh.

Regarding packing, I brought a bunch of paleo kits and "granola" (Steve's Original: Paleo Kits, Paleo Diet, Zone Diet, Paleo Diets, Gluten Free), homemade salmon jerky, Just Fruit and conventionally dried fruit, dried veggies from Frontier, dried potatoes, eggs in a hard case for the first morning, nut butter sauce and rice noodles, lara bars and a baggie of coconut creme concentrate. I normally make my own beef jerky but ran out of beef and we don't get our next quarter until later this month.