Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Frustrated - Gaining Fat page

Siyyad is offline Junior Member

Frustrated - Gaining Fat

Primal Fuel
    Hi, everyone. My name is Mark (40 yrs. old in Tucson, AZ, Type II Diabetic), and I'm in my third week of living primally. Bought Mark's book and read it in two days and also recently re-read the Schwarzbein Principle and Dr. Bernstein's book. Here's a brief personal history.
    Was diagnosed with Type II diabetes 6 yrs. ago. Up and down managing my sugars. In the past year I went totally off the rails. I smoked a pack+ a day, ate sugary and fast food galore, didn't exercise and over the past year I went from 230 lbs. to 187 lbs. Was down to barely fitting in 34" jeans. I knew I was wasting away, but hey, I hadn't looked like this since high school.

I got my you know what together this summer because I knew that I couldn't do this to myself anymore. I quit smoking in May, stopped eating junk at the same time, started exercising around 6 weeks ago and went primal 3 weeks ago.

I don't eat grains or sugars. I eat meats, eggs and vegetables (lots of spinach). I put heavy cream in my morning coffee, and I do eat some white cheeses (mozzarella and ricotta). I've restricted fruit to a couple of small handfuls of blueberries a day with some nuts or nut butters here and there. I'm assiduously following the exercise regimen that I got from Primal Fitness. I lift heavy things 2-3 times a week. I sprint once a week. I'm walking, hiking and swimming in the sun, getting plenty of sleep and I overall feel great about this lifestyle change and love how I feel sated. My sugar/carb cravings are almost non-existent. I do drink coffee and iced tea and use stevia as my sweetener. I drink a lot of water here in Tucson, too.

Ok, thanks for letting me share all that. Problem is, I've been gaining weight (fat) in the past month. I canceled a date tonight because I couldn't fit into any of my pants. A month ago, I was still fitting in my 34" waist pants. Not today. I mean, I naturally gained about 10 pounds when I quit smoking in May. But in the past month, I've gone from 200 to 220. I see the fat gain all around my waist and some in my face.

Last paragraph. This past year when I wasn't taking care of myself, I wasn't taking my Lantus regularly. Since I quit smoking in May, I've been taking it diligently. Could this be the cause of my fat gain with my higher fat intake?? I'm utterly frustrated because I want to live this way and am so inspired by the positive results that so many others have experienced. Any help/insight would be greatly appreciated. And no lectures on my prior poor lifestyle choices, please. I'm going to continue to be healthy in my choices, I just wish that the waistline would get with the new program like I have.
    Many thanks to you all, and thanks to Mark for the great books and community here.
    Best,
    Mark V.

js290 is offline Senior Member

peril is offline Senior Member
    Sounds like you are leptin resistant. Check the leptin threads
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Glamorama is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by peril View Post
    Sounds like you are leptin resistant. Check the leptin threads
    I was going to say the same thing. Check out The Leptin Prescribtion on - Jack Kruse
    I started doig this 3 weeks ago (I am 100% I was leptin-resistant) and the fat around my waist is finally coming off. Have a read and se eif it makes sense for you.

yodiewan is online now Senior Member
    I would imagine if you've read Bernstein's book and since you're being dilligent in your helath practices, diet and exercise that you know how to use your insulin correctly. An overdose of insulin can surely cause you to get fatter. That's one of the main arguments behind low-carb eating (lowered insulin allows fat to be released from fat cells instead of stored). Are you checking your blood sugar regularly? You should check it when you're fasted, before meals, and several times after meals in order to catch any spikes. If your levels are very good, then consider lowering your dose of Lantus and see what happens. (Disclaimer: I am not a doctor; please consult with your doctor about any changes in medication, etc., blah blah).

TheDarkMistress is offline Senior Member
    It is common to gain weight at first when your diabetes becomes better controlled, because you were previously wasting glucose through your urine. Your cells were unable to take up the glucose due to insulin resistance, bathing your blood vessel linings in high glucose and causing damage.

Do not get frustrated! You are doing it right. Your weight may have been lower but you were definitely less healthy with uncontrolled diabetes and smoking. Continue to do the things that improve your insulin sensitivity and lower your glycemic load (ie exercising and avoiding carbs).
    cj

height: 5' 10 1/2"
    2/20/11: 210
    9/19/11: 185.5
    goal: #170

"Decide what to be, and go be it."

Siyyad is offline Junior Member
    Many thanks to everyone so far for the responses and encouragement, I appreciate it. Yes, Yodiewan, my numbers have definitely gotten lower since going Primal (sometimes I'm in the 120s, which for me, is great), so yes, I'm cutting back on the Lantus to see if that helps. Thanks, DarkMistress, for the positive feedback. Thanks also for the info on Leptin resistance from Glamorama and Peril. I've been researching that and ate my breakfast this morning within 30 minutes of getting up (w/50g of protein, as advised). Delicious.

Glamorama is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Siyyad View Post
    Many thanks to everyone so far for the responses and encouragement, I appreciate it. Yes, Yodiewan, my numbers have definitely gotten lower since going Primal (sometimes I'm in the 120s, which for me, is great), so yes, I'm cutting back on the Lantus to see if that helps. Thanks, DarkMistress, for the positive feedback. Thanks also for the info on Leptin resistance from Glamorama and Peril. I've been researching that and ate my breakfast this morning within 30 minutes of getting up (w/50g of protein, as advised). Delicious.
    It's so filling, isn't it?

Marnee is offline Senior Member
    I live in Tucson, too. Cheers!

Smoking can cause depressed thyroid function. I am almost certain that my thyroid crash was related to smoking. Get your thyroid checked if you can. If your doctor refuses and isn't cool about Primal and isn't being helpful, go see Garret Smith (Naturopath) and he will sort you out.

Also, you may just eat too much fat, which is easy to do. Cut out the fattier items like cheese and bacon. I know it sounds terrible, but it helps.

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    When you were not taking your insulin, you were literally starving your body. The high circulating blood sugars were also causing lots of inflammation. I would suggest giving your body a little more time to settle down before panicking to much. Focus and keeping fats, meats, and veggies as the center of your diet. Eat fruit in moderation. Don't go too crazy with dairy or nuts. I find it helpful to have a rule that I don't eat anything between dinner and breakfast.

There are several T1 and T2 diabetics on this forum who have controlled or even reversed (in the case of T2) their disease beautifully with a primal diet. Hang in their a little longer!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast