Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: AMAZING Primal Snack - Coconut Chips!! page 3

bennykatemum is offline Junior Member

Wink Dehydrator

Primal Fuel
    Thanks so much for these snack ideas....me and my kids are on the candida diet and other than eggs and well....eggs....there's nothing much to eat.

Could someone please have a look at this link and let me know if this looks like the right kind of dehydrator? I'd love to do "chips" that didn't involved the evil potato:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/NEW-Hottop-Ad...ht_2670wt_1139

Thanks. Love this blog!!!

avocado is offline Senior Member
    Coconut chips - great idea

primal nick is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasey View Post
    One of those raw food movement people? You say that pretty judgmentally. I'm sorry that I have healed myself from ulcerative colitis eating a raw food diet, and have decided to share some of the things I've learned along the way with you guys.

Now I'm looking to widen my diet beyond raw foods. I'm never stuck in one mentality and am always open to other options.

P.S Katt, I'm a guy. I couldn't figure out how to put a pic up ; )

Kasey,

I wanted to know if you had any helpful advice dealing with the ulcerative colitis. My wife suffers from the same thing....severely. She was hospitalized a few months ago and had to have a blood transfusion (from losing so much blood in her stool). Now she is on medication that makes her hair fall out and has to do IV treatments every other month. I think the medication is going to do the most damage of all so it got me looking into diet changes. We bought a book from a doctor who claimed to cure his own colitis on a raw vegan diet. I am not a big vegan fan which is why after searching more, we ended up on this site. We have both been eating primally for about 4 months and my wife is a little scared of stopping her medication. I was wondering if you had success with diet alone. Obviously the doctors don't want her to stop medication and they have little knowledge when it comes to nutrution. I think any digestive problems would ultimately stem back from what you eat. We still eat dairy, but have cut out 99% of grains and other proccessed foods. Any suggestions?
    Thanks,

Nick

Angieh is offline Senior Member
    Did anyone ever try these not in the microwave? They sound good, but I'm wondering if I should bake them and if so for how long on what temp. I guess I could finish in the dehydrator for crispyness.

I'm dying for crunchy snacks - one of the hardest things about this way of life is finding snacks beyond jerky (I know I should snack less).

Thanks!

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    i haven't microwaved in over a decade at this point, but not for any logical reasons. it just didn't "feel" right.

this recipe is good in an oven/toaster too. or on the stovetop in a frying pan.

mirandanutrition is offline Junior Member
    It's simple regardless of much else. Would a caveman microwave?

Jenny is offline Senior Member
    I assume that was a sarcastic joke, Miranda. Would a caveman resurrect a months-dead thread using his computer and an internet connection?

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    I assume that was a sarcastic joke, Miranda. Would a caveman resurrect a months-dead thread using his computer and an internet connection?
    LOL honestly somebody please kill the caveman connection to Primal (and Paleo, let’s just throw the whole caveman thing away PLEASE)

Regarding microwaves I’d definitely like to stop using them but that would mean having to fast at work until I get home and that isn’t something I want to do all the time. There’s no kitchen or anything here, only microwaves. I put my lunch in the fridge then re-heat it in the microwave. At home I don’t do this, I use the stove.

I wonder how long it would take to truly feel the effects of using a microwave? Quite honestly I’m inclined to believe that it wouldn’t be severe, especially following a primal diet, but maybe I’m being na´ve.

Jenny is offline Senior Member
    Exactly, that's my point. "Would a caveman use a microwave?" is just ludicrously irrelevant, as is "Would a caveman post in this thread?" XD

My take is that our body is pretty good at deconstructing foods into usable molecules even if the food is not in the best shape ever. The heat of cooking (whether microwave or stove) does a ton of "damage" to food structurally and molecularly (denatures proteins for example) and yet we aren't dying of eating cooked, frozen, canned, etc. food.

I just can't believe that microwaves turn the food into some kind of undigestible mutant toxin.

My dad is a scientist who's done a ton of work with all types of radiation and he's convinced they're safe... that's good enough for me.
    "Trust me, you will soon enter a magical land full of delicious steakflowers, with butterbacons fluttering around over the extremely rompable grass and hillsides."

tboot is offline Junior Member

Plus dark chocolate!

I make my coconut chips in the oven (I'm not anti-microwave, I just like the toasted flavor better). I toast it at a low temp (250-ish) for just a few minutes. Watch close because it'll burn pretty quickly. Then, when cool, I add dark chocolate chips!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123