Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Top 5 Superfats: Fatty Foods That Are Good For You page

phildrolet is offline Member

The Top 5 Superfats: Fatty Foods That Are Good For You

Shop Now
    Hey Primal Eaters!

I've just written a post about my "Top 5 Superfats" on my brand new blog, The Feel Good Lifestyle. It's a site where I share strategies to live with "more energy & inspiration to create the life we dream of".

I'd love to have your opinion on my Superfats recommendations, and your overall feedback on the site.

The Top 5 Superfats: Fatty Foods That Are Good For You |

Cheers and thanks in advance!!

Phil

McSqueeb is offline Junior Member
    Absolutely loved the post. And I would definitely agree with it %100. It was funny actually, before I clicked it, I thought to myself what 5 fats I consider top 5, and it ended up looking almost exactly like your list. Excellent read. Thanks for writing it!
    These machines feed on the tears of broken lives and dying dreams...

peril is offline Senior Member
    No saturated animal fats. Fishoil capsules rather than fats from whole fish. Nuts

Too inflammatory for me. I've got my health to look after
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Captain Archer is offline Senior Member
    Loved that.

Peril, what do you mean by "too inflammatory" for you?

I consume fish oil capsules because I can't afford fresh salmon where I live right now (trust me, I'd eat the real stuff if I could). I still strongly believe that the fish oil capsules reduce my inflammation from training & recover quicker.

Also, I don't list saturated animal fats as top 5 fats, but I still include them in my diet.
    Last edited by phildrolet; 07-27-2011 at 10:35 PM.

McSqueeb & Captain Archer- thanks a lot for your kind words! Greatly appreciate it!

peril is offline Senior Member
    Too heavy in PUFAs in general. Then the fish oil is isolated and in high amounts. The risk here is of oxidation of the PUFAs, which is what leads to inflammation.

I eat plenty of canned oily fish - sardines and mackerel. Occasionally some kippers. Expensive fresh salmon is not necessary

Saturated fats help moderate oxidation of the PUFAs but it is better to avoid excess PUFAs to minimise the risk they pose
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

breadsauce is offline Senior Member
    But where is butter, lard, beef fat?I use only those for cooking.

Also I'd be very wary of so many nuts with the preponderance of omega 6.

My list of fats would be

5. Olive oil
    4. flax seed oil
    3. Butter
    2. coconut oil
    1.Pork lard / beef fat / duck fat

And I'd eat fish every day for my omega 3's - not some capsule. Shrimp, salmon, trout,mackerel, crab, mussels, herring -all good and mostly cheap.
    Last edited by breadsauce; 07-28-2011 at 12:40 AM.

Bissen is offline Senior Member
    Lookin' OK. The only reason to put nuts on the list would/should be for their convenience and taste (which is superb!).
    I honestly don't like olive oil (the taste) and avocado I can do without.

I'd have to put (cultured) butter, fish oil (on the fish, not capsules), pork and beef fat (on the meat) and coconut oil on my list. I actually don't cook with a lot of fat, other than that on the meat.
    Would egg yolks count? Cos then they are DEFINITELY on my list!

Solldara is offline Senior Member
    I was expecting not to agree with your post after reading the posters here but I actually liked it all with the exception of the picture of pills

Big no-no in my opinion, the writings fine as not everyone can get fish oils regularly in which case its fine to take the supplements but I don't believe that pills should be seen as the ideal. Nice picture of a fish counter would be great.

Btw I eat tinned fish, it tastes great, its good for me and any health scares from too much mercury or whatever I'll happily ignore as I don't eat it every day and I vary the fish.
    1st June 11 to 30st Aug 11 - 36lb removed in 13 weeks
    Messed about on and off for the rest of the year

June 2012 - Had the practice - now time to do it for real

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast