Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fibromyalgia and Primal/Paleo Resources? page

Sanctus Real is offline Senior Member

Fibromyalgia and Primal/Paleo Resources?

Primal Fuel
    The daycare lady at my gym was telling me about the pain she's been having with her fibromyalgia lately. She said when she was first diagnosed that she felt no pain, so she was unsure of the diagnosis, but she's been feeling such pain lately, she's afraid she's going to have to start taking painkillers. And she really doesn't want to.

It occurred to me that she probably can reduce the pain she's feeling with her diet. I've read Robb Wolf's Paleo Solution, which does a really good job of explaining how your diet can trigger inflammation. Unfortunately, I can't lend her the book, because it's on my Kindle. I can give her the title, but I'd like to give her a little information a bit more specific to her situation, so she can see how eliminating grains, sugars, legumes, etc., might aid her specific situation.

I know there are fibromyalgia sufferers on this forum. Anyone with resources specific to the condition I can share with her? She's a really wonderful lady, too young to be crippled by this horrible disease. And if I can show her how to improve her quality of life through her diet, I would love to be able to help. So, please, if you have resources I can recommend to her, I would so appreciate it!
    Motherhood: When changing from pj pants to yoga pants qualifies as 'getting dressed'.

Sanctus Real is offline Senior Member
    Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?
    Motherhood: When changing from pj pants to yoga pants qualifies as 'getting dressed'.

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member

Violette is offline Senior Member
    I have it but was diagnosed 20 years ago. Since I have a health and science background I was able to start my own recovery by doing a lot of reading. She is probably on the SAD. I was not but was practically a vegetarian.. But she's gotta start with her diet and realize it will be slow. Going paleo would be the best thing as a first step. But is she willing to? Although I had advised patients in nutrition, I did not have it right. It took a couple of years for me to give up gluten. Once I did it wasn't long before the next step of omitting all grains... But I began to improve hugely with that first step of gluten free.

But like I said, is she interested in a holistic approach? Most are not. They want to try the various drugs rather than change their entire lives. I take a ton of supplements and do therapeutic exercise every day... Im probably no help. You should take Dragonflys advice and I think I ll do a search too. Maybe I can help that way. Buena suerte! That's Good luck!
    Wisdom begins in the recognition of how little we know.

(teaching of Socrates)

ElaineC is offline Senior Member
    I have fibromyalgia, as well as chronic myofacial pain. Its a nasty one-two punch kind of thing. Going Primal was one of the biggest factors in me getting a few shreds of my life back, it has certainly helped me get proper sleep, my muscle recovery is faster, and my energy is unbelievable compared to what it was this time last year. I'm going into 8 months primal, and while I still have a myriad of issues I struggle with every day, going Primal has helped in more ways than I can list.

Other things that will help immensely if she has fibro:
    - Vitamin D, 5-10,000 IU daily. Yes, its alot. Yes, she needs it.
    - Calcium/Magnesium - daily, high quality high strength balanced supplement. This will help with muscle cramping and muscle recovery
    - MSM - this will help with muscle recovery when they get that exhausted, jello feeling for no reason
    - a good, all around Vitamin B complex daily

These 4 supplements along with Primal keeps me walking, moving, working and living. My flares go just as deep and painful as ever, but they are much shorter in duration, and I recover from them faster. Day to day living is easier, I have so much more energy!

I can tell you from experience, painkillers do not work. If they do, its not fibro pain, it could be referred pain but fibro pain doesn't respond to painkillers of the ordinary kind. I take Lyrica, which numbs my nervous system, and its a godsend but it has its issues too - I gained 40 lbs in 2 months. I have since lost all that with Primal. My only other options are opiates and and narcotics - they don't alleviate pain, they just make you not care about it. I prefer to not go that route.

Good luck, and yes, Primal helps!!
    Fighting fibromyalgia and chronic myofascial pain since 2002.

Big Fat Fiasco

Our bodies crave real food. We remain hungry as long as we refuse to eat real food, no matter how much junk we stuff into our stomachs. ~J. Stanton

marcadav is offline Senior Member
    My fibromyalgia was actually undertreated thyroid disease. I suggest getting thyroid tested-- TSH, freeT4, free T3, antibodies. Making sure Vitamin D and ferritin levels are optimal is a good idea too.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    Do a search! Plenty of threads on the subject.
    actually I did a search and didn't find much.
    Wisdom begins in the recognition of how little we know.

(teaching of Socrates)

Regarding my FMS, and I do have CFS and I do treat my thyroid, is that I feel much better following a paleo diet with a a high protein breakie, and not overeating at all. This is hard to follow with FMS since eating is such a pleasure. But when I was really thin my body moved well and felt stronger. I would notice it during my morning exercise therapy. I've lately gained 11 pounds and do not have the same well being I had at the lighter weight. Don't know if this would be true for everybody. Anyway, I just can't eat the larger amounts of food and still feel good.

Kristy2078 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by marcadav View Post
    My fibromyalgia was actually undertreated thyroid disease. I suggest getting thyroid tested-- TSH, freeT4, free T3, antibodies. Making sure Vitamin D and ferritin levels are optimal is a good idea too.
    I would agree. I don't have fibro, but I did have a lot of body pain before and while being treated for hypothyroidism. It has been three years or so since I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism, and my pains have disappeared by about 95-98%%. The remaining 2-5% is probably just occupational aggravation.

Sudenveri is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I've got fibro and my experience has been similar to ElaineC's. I take 10,000 IU vitamin D and Mg/K/Ca (along with some other vitamins and whatnot) and have found that certain foods trigger flares big time. The worst is dairy, with grains and sugar causing lower-level discomfort as well. The "move constantly and at a slow pace" tenet of the PB is also a big help - I have a desk job, but I'll get up and take a ten-minute walk outside every couple hours. There are good days and bad days, and bout of illness back in June really knocked me on my ass, but overall it's been better.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast