Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vibram Shoes page

aussie1girl is offline Member

Vibram Shoes

Primal Fuel
    Hi Fellow PBers

Anytime I walk in my runners I get hip & foot pain, but I don't get any pain when I walk around barefoot, so I think they have to go.

So I'm thinking of getting a pair of Vibram five finger shoes to use mainly for walking and working out.

I would love to hear from those of you that have a pair? Also what do you wear when it's -20 outside.

Thanks gang
    Cheers

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    i love my vibrams; i wear them for everything. i run, hike, workout, play, climb and shop in them. i have two pairs of sprints, which are pretty versatile, but not winter friendly...at least not in new england.
    during the winter i am usually wearing good socks with water shoes by teva, or some sort of hiking boot depending on the activity or if it is literally -20 and snowing.

softthings is offline Member
    um.... how are these on a treadmill?

Paleobird Guest
    They are great. I love mine so much I have three pairs. The only thing they don't do well is be waterproof. The kangaroo suede ones with a pair of Ininji socks keep my feet nice and warm in the winter as long as I don't get them wet because the fabric between the toes is never going to be waterproof.

Caveat: I'm talking about southern California definition of winter here.

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by softthings View Post
    um.... how are these on a treadmill?
    they're fine on a treadmill, if that's your thing. given the cleanliness and softness of a treadmill, i would just go barefoot (unless i were at a gym or something)...but i prefer to be outside anyway. either way, it's wise to start walking in vibrams first, then moving to running. you will need to change your stride. i definitely recommend looking up barefoot running form, which means correcting the form most people use with conventional running shoes.

dkd2001 is offline Senior Member
    I have three pair -- I love them for Tai Chi and they also work well for walking. I haven't tried the leather ones in the winter, but the regular ones are definitely cold when it's cold outside (Colorado winter days.) I wouldn't use them in more than and inch or so of snow, or your feet will get wet. Not good. But great at the gym, for lifting, etc. Wore them gorilla treking in Rwanda, as well. Now -- if they'd only make them in narrow (they are a bit wide on my skinny feet, but better than most exercise shoes out there.

Also -- they make great water shoes (were originally designed as such, I think.)
    Life is an ongoing Experiment of One, so here's to science!

My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread37576.html

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by dkd2001 View Post
    I have three pair -- I love them for Tai Chi and they also work well for walking. I haven't tried the leather ones in the winter, but the regular ones are definitely cold when it's cold outside (Colorado winter days.) I wouldn't use them in more than and inch or so of snow, or your feet will get wet. Not good. But great at the gym, for lifting, etc. Wore them gorilla treking in Rwanda, as well. Now -- if they'd only make them in narrow (they are a bit wide on my skinny feet, but better than most exercise shoes out there.

Also -- they make great water shoes (were originally designed as such, I think.)
    I have the opposite problem, trouble finding wide enough shoes so the VFFs feel like they were designed for me. I'm going to be taking mine on safari in Africa coming up next week.

Bissen is offline Senior Member
    Honestly, I don't like them so much. I prefer real barefoot or my Feiyue (of which I have 8 pairs... yeah).

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    I have the opposite problem, trouble finding wide enough shoes so the VFFs feel like they were designed for me. I'm going to be taking mine on safari in Africa coming up next week.
    fucking AWESOME that you're going to Africa, definitely eat all the animals you can't eat here.

OT: Which is the "least padding" version of Vibrams? I want to get a pair now... used to resist them but want to try them out. I do have a webbed toe issue on both feet but I saw a guide to fix them on the net (it's a common enough problem, I guess, evolutionary I was meant to swim!) so I could do a little altering I reckon.... is it the sprints? I wanna use them for walking and for work (I stand at work, and am usually barefoot at the office, but slip on my shoes mostly to go to the bathroom cus... well, piss)

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Bissen View Post
    Honestly, I don't like them so much. I prefer real barefoot or my Feiyue (of which I have 8 pairs... yeah).
    Congratulations, you are my new board crush.

How do you have 8 pairs of Feiyue?! I thought they only made two? white/black and the others were the overly padded French version? I have 3 pairs, two black (identical) and one white...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast