Thread: Bison Tenderloin page

JohnR is offline Junior Member

Bison Tenderloin

Shop Now
    So yesterday in a fit of Primal glee, I picked up a frozen Bison Tenderloin (about 2 lbs). Then I got it home and realized I have no idea how to cook it or season it. My wife, who is tied for the best cook I have ever met, is out of town for a while. Any tips or suggestions for a geographically seperated batchelor?

John

pjgh is offline Senior Member
    Lucky fellow!

Trim off any silveriness and pat it dry. Grind salt over and pat it in. Slow cook it on a low heat, something like 120-125C (250-275F?) for an hour, or so.

Meanwhile, don your huaraches or VFFs and get outside! Pick some berries - blackberries would be nice. Rhubarb or plums would do. Wash, cut if necessary and toss into a pan to make a simple chunky coulis, adding a little water if necessary. I small splash of cider vinegar in the coulis would be nice.

Steam a few greens - tenderstem broccoli, asparagus, savoy cabbage - something deep green, butter and serve onto the plate.

The meat will be cooked through and still nice inside. Let it rest for about 10 minutes and then pop that next to the (now finished) greens and the coulis in a ramekin on the other side of the plate.

Enjoy ...

annieloux is offline Member
    Yum.

I just bought one of these last week to take to a BBQ. Not sure how primal it is, but this is how I cooked it:

Marinated (maybe an hour?) in lots of crushed garlic, some worcestershire sauce, balsamic vinegar, Tabasco, and a bit of paprika and pepper.

Grill to your desired doneness. Or you can cook it in a frying pan with a little bit of oil.

JohnR is offline Junior Member
    I am gonna cut it in half and try both of those. Thanks folks!

pjgh is offline Senior Member
    You do right! Marinated and dropped onto a griddle pan or grille sounds really good.

Tenderloin is basically, just a big long fillet. Understand which way the fibres run and understand how to cut it to get the very best from it..