Thread: Overeaters Support Group page

pdovers is offline Senior Member

Overeaters Support Group

Primal Fuel
    My name is Pat and I am an overeater. I've never been to an OA meeting but I imagine they start like that. I am starting this thread with the hope that all of us overeaters can help each other with tips to cope with the problem, or vent, or whine or yell for help or whatever you need at the moment.

Here is one tip I've used: I love dark chocolate covered almonds. There is a little gift and sweet shop right near my office where I can get them. When I start to think about them I tell myself that I sure as hell am going to go set some --- TOMORROW. For whatever reason that seems to work.

Hey I can overeat PB food as much as I can overeat sweets. So let's help one another. This online community is awesome!

Jenn is offline Senior Member
    I need help with this too. I'm not overweight but I LOVE food and kindof obsess over it. DH says I'm too "emotional" about food and just need to think of it as fueling my body.

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    When I start to think about them I tell myself that I sure as hell am going to go set some --- TOMORROW.
    I love it!
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    I'm an overeater. I have been most of my life. Even after dropping 125 lbs, I still think about food, or talk about food, most of the time. I'm a foodie! I absolutely LOVE food. I spend 80% of my free time engaged in either acquiring, preparing or enjoying the best food I can get my hands on. I've gone from being a fat food addict, devouring McDonald's double cheeseburgers to a complete food SNOB. In either case, I'm still obsessed with food.

I still overeat sometimes. I'm in much better control of myself now than I was, but it's a process of learning to be healthy too.

And yes, procrastination works! It's one of my favorite tools. I put off enjoying pizza for more than a year by promising myself I'd "do it later."

Right now I'm discovering that Warrior Diet / Fast-5 is a good tool for me, for now. I can't say a month from now but I hope I'll still like it then. A restricted eating window is less obsessive than tracking calories, carbs or portions. And boy can I be obsessive!

Looking forward to chatting with others. FWIW, I don't think that being food-obsessed is a bad thing. Think of all those brilliant chefs out there who are obsessed with great food! It's when we consume out of sheer gluttony that we get into trouble. (Just my 2 cents.)

Horsewoman is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Diana Renata View Post
    I'm an overeater. I have been most of my life. Even after dropping 125 lbs, I still think about food, or talk about food, most of the time. I'm a foodie! I absolutely LOVE food. I spend 80% of my free time engaged in either acquiring, preparing or enjoying the best food I can get my hands on. I've gone from being a fat food addict, devouring McDonald's double cheeseburgers to a complete food SNOB. In either case, I'm still obsessed with food.
    I like that. I get fed up of hearing how I should "eat to live, not live to eat". Yeah I don't want to feel like life is worthless if I can\t stuff my face with icecream! But I don't see why I have to see food as only for fuel. I'm not a utilitarian type! Nothing wrong with taking pleasure in food any more than in any of the other necessities of life
    Gluten intolerance and hypermobility syndrome http://www.cfids.org/pdf/joint-hypermobility-guide.pdf

Eat food. Mostly real. Enjoy life.

Health, energy, wellbeing, vitality, joy, LIFE! Health At Every Size

"Do not ask what the world needs; ask yourself what makes you come alive. And then go and do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive."
    Harold Whitman

My food choices are so much better than they were about 5 years ago and for that I am proud. I am in much better shape and much thinner now (85 pounds) that I have eliminated all processed foods and fast foods/junk foods from my diet. Fortunately, I LOVE to cook so preparing REAL food is a pleasure for me. I still battle with binging on certain "healthy" foods (i.e. dark chocolate, almond butter) when I am upset and I also battle with eating too much. I stopped buying almond butter because all I need is a spoon and before I know it the container is empty. I am into not only the flavor of food but also consistency. If it is smooth and creamy that's too good or if it's crunchy and salty, that is also a problem. I am fortunate that I like all kinds of things and am therefore not limited as some folks are who, for example, don't like fish or don't like veggies. I like everything. I find I will "fill up" on a big healthy salad. But I wish I didn't feel the need to "fill up." I am working on just eating when I am hungry and stopping when I am no longer hungry. But, as an overeater that is a big challenge.

primalprincess7 is offline Senior Member
    I'm an overeater. I have been most of my life. Even after dropping 125 lbs
    godo job! how did you accomplish losing 125 pounds? as it all PB? how often did u eat? how did you not overeat? exercise? i need inspiration!
    I'm too stubborn to give up so I keep on trying.

You're never going to get to the top of the stairs if you don't walk up them.

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by primalprincess7 View Post
    godo job! how did you accomplish losing 125 pounds? as it all PB? how often did u eat? how did you not overeat? exercise? i need inspiration!
    The first 75 was completely CW. Eat nothing and run a lot. The other 50 was Primal and lots of exercise. I have do admit that over the last couple of years I put 25 back on through eating too much and not exercising enough. I tracked every single calorie and got totally obsessive, but it got the weight off. Now I'm trying to take the other 25 off without obsessing, and it's really, really hard...

Quote Originally Posted by Diana Renata View Post
    Now I'm trying to take the other 25 off without obsessing, and it's really, really hard...
    I am experiencing the same problem. I lost a lot and then gained back a little (comparatively) and now it is so hard to lose. I got married last year and cooking (which I love) for my husband who can eat twice as much as me has contributed to the problem. I am working hard on finding a solution. I joined the gym near my office and was going each weekday on my lunch hour working on the elliptical for 20 minutes and doing strength training. I was really on a roll and had also discovered PB at the same time. I was really psyched. Then I started having some adjustment issues with PB, which now I realize is natural. I read what Mark said about keeping your carbs at no more than 100 g to lose weight but that didn't work for me. I maintained....well at least I had stopped gaining so that was a step in the right direction. Then 2 weeks ago I broke 2 toes and have not been able to get a shoe on my left foot. Doctor said I could work out on stationary bike but the gym has "must wear closed-toed shoes" policy so I stopped going. That was a convenient excuse, wasn't it? Well, on a positive note, I've been spending more time reading PB related info and have decided that I must limit my carbs to under 50. That is where I am this week. Toes are feeling better every day and I am hoping to get a shoe on next week and get back to my lunch hour gym routine. I am in a positive frame of mind. Yesterday I ate well and hub and I went out to dinner at my fav Mexican place and I had steak, chicken and shrimp fajitas with no tortillas and lots of steamed veggies and it was so yummy and I was very satisfied. I am doing the 2 meal a day thing on weekdays and that is easy for me since I am at work and I bring my food. We will see how the weekend goes. My goal for this weekend is to pay attention to my body and only eat when I am hungry. I'll let you know how that goes.