Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Third World Squat page

primal_jessjane is offline Senior Member

Shop Now

http://www.tmuscle.com/readArticle.do?id=1856085

Not sure if somebody else here posted this link? I was just curious to know how many of you can do this effectively, and what it means if you can't...I can get down low perfectly fine, but I topple over if I'm not holding onto something, or I'm using some serious foot muscles to keep myself erect.

I've been trying to do it for 1-2mins. everyday, but sometimes after I get out of it my lower back hurts temporarily. I know this squat is *good* for the back, so does that mean my back is screwed? hm...

rphlslv is offline Senior Member

haha same here... I've been practicing it for a while but I still don't have much balance when I do it. It's a great pre-squatting stretch.

.`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
    ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member

It takes a bit of practice. I&#39;m better at it with sneakers on than bare feet, but it&#39;s getting easier. I can squat for 3-4 minutes before getting uncomfortable. One thing that&#39;s interesting to try, is to "squat-walk" like that. I saw it once on a television program, a woman sweeping the floor with a hand broom, walking while squatted down. It&#39;s quite difficult, and I can&#39;t yet sweep an entire floor that way, but it&#39;s worth a go!

Annika is offline Senior Member

I&#39;m quite comfy squatting like that, but I haven&#39;t tried squat-walking!

My blog: Pretty Good Paleo
    On Twitter: @NEKLocalvore

maba is offline Senior Member

I can do that although I haven&#39;t done it in a long time. I sometimes clean my kitchen floor squatted like that. You have to squat like that if you have to use a "Turkish-style" potty.

FairyRae2 Guest

If it&#39;s uncomfy for you, you can put a slightly rolled blanket under your heels while your body loosens up. You can slowly minimize the support under your heels as you get more flexible. There is a big difference between being able to put pressure/weight on your heels while squatting and needing to lean forward while squatting b/c of balance (when you can&#39;t really get your heels all the way down.) This might make a difference in how your back feels in the position.

I also find it easier if I keep my knees and toes pointed outward a bit, and put my hands in prayer position, elbows slightly pressing on knees...

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member

That blanket idea does help. I didn&#39;t do that, but when squatting barefoot I did (and sometimes still do) squat on an uneven surface- like where my area rug meets the regular carpet. It&#39;s just a fraction of an inch higher, but believe it or not, it does help.

lil_earthmomma is offline Senior Member

I just tried it, I can do it and stay in that position indefinitely, but my hubby can&#39;t do it at all! lol

I think studying yoga might have something to do with this, and that I naturally squat while playing with my kiddos on the floor.

The more I see the less I know for sure.
    -John Lennon

FlyNavyWife is offline Senior Member

I can do it but not for a super long time without my legs getting tired.

One of the kids I babysit would squat like this while playing with his toy trains, and I squatted down beside him a couple times, but he thought that was weird of me and wanted me to sit in the chair in his toy room (I guess that&#39;s the "grown up" thing to do? heh).

Eating lots but still hungry? Eat more fat. Mid-day sluggishness? Eat more fat. Feeling depressed or irritable? Eat more fat. People think you've developed an eating disorder? Eat more fat... in front of them.

kam904s is offline Member

Everytime I go to squat my knees, pelvis, and back cracks and pops REALLY loudly. Of course my belly is getting in the way too, which makes me a little sad since I was hoping to strengthen my thighs and possibly use a squat position for birth. It&#39;s looking like it&#39;s not happening.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast