Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Third World Squat page 4

Iceskater is offline Junior Member

Primal Fuel

Funny thing is, when I travelled to asia, all my family members could effortlessly squat like this. Personally, Ive had to work on it (yoga helps), especially struggling when I was learning the pistol squat, during which I kept topping over. Id like to improve and become comfortable in this position.

SocraticMethod is offline Junior Member

Funny: I saw this thread yesterday, then last night I was training and doing some hardcore conditioning (supersetting battling rope snaps and bodyweight overhead squats). Toward the end, strength coach had me to a third world squat stretch. Hadn't done one since my rugby days in college, and then hadn't thought about them at all after that until I saw this thread yesterday.

I hope nobody posts a picture of someone being crushed by a barbell before my next session ...

kam904s is offline Member

lil_earthmomma & dragonmomma: They've got me scheduled for another ultrasound on Fri. If he hasn't flipped by then I'm supposed to go in to the hospital on Tuesday for the external version. The doc wants to dope me up but I'm planning on saying no and use my hypnobirthing instead. Hopefully I'll be able to stick to my guns there.

I'm another person who's not flexible enough to get my heels to the floor when squatting. I remember stretching like crazy back in high school when I was in dance but I don't think I've EVER been able to get my heels to the floor even in a wide stance like that. So if anyone's got suggestions on HOW to stretch the achilles GENTLY enough to get down that low, please speak up!

SocraticMethod is offline Junior Member

@kam904s

Are you sure it's your achiles? Often, people can't get low enough on squats due to poor hamstring or hip flexibility. The SquatRX video series has been helpful to me and very helpful to a lot of guys I know who train. Video no. 5 is all about hip and hamstring flexibility and mobility.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKnpmQNhc3w&feature=player_embedded

If the link doesn't work, just go to youtube and put in "SquatRX." It's a series of videos. All of them address different aspects of preparing for and properly completing the barbell squat. The flexibility/mobility stuff should be a benefit to you, even if you're just looking to be able to hold the stretch and have no intention of actually barbell squatting.

How low do you get before your heels come off the floor?

shastagirl Guest

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

ok i can touch my heels on the ground i just tried it but i think my feet are too wide set maybe or i also have them pointed out from each other instead of straight on. straight on i cant touch the floor. this does require a great deal of balance hehe, but im gonna start practicing!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234