Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Third World Squat page 3

Indiscreet is offline Junior Member

Primal Fuel

Me too, Katt. I have long femurs, short shins and a big butt like a shire horse. I can now get into a squat but only if I place my feet quite wide, and even then I roll onto the insides of my feet somewhat (plus I also round my back).

I do barbell squats at the gym but I don't go A2G on them - I'd roll over backwards.

One thing most people don't realise is that your psoas (hip flexors) attach to your spine so if they're tight from sitting a lot (desk job, anyone?) they'll pull the arch out of your back and cause what lifters call "butt wink". Working on hip flexor flexibility helps a lot.

chima_p is offline Senior Member

@indiscreet

Yep. Long femurs shift the center of gravity to the rear. Then you have to arch your back to get the weight of your upper body back over your heels.

NorthernMonkeyGirl is offline Senior Member

My ankles don't flex enough to let me get my heels down - is this a common thing? The only way around it is to sit like a frog, with my legs/toes pointing way out to the side, and wedge my upper body between knees for balance, haha!

kam904s is offline Member

lil_earthmomma, I don't want him to settle yet! He's still in a frank breech position and I've been *desperately* trying to turn him all week long. If I can't get him to turn they are pushing for a c-section and since he's my first they really aren't taking no for an answer. I'm trying to hold out for my due date (Jan 9th) but it's looking less and less likely.

Though the squats do look REALLY REALLY comfy. I really like how it's shown in this video. It made me grin.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWTmg4dHiKg

lil_earthmomma is offline Senior Member

In that case kam check this out:

http://www.spinningbabies.com/

Hope your babe flips for you!!! Keep us posted.

The more I see the less I know for sure.
    -John Lennon

jmc1979 Guest

@chima_p

It is bad form when doing a loaded back squat to only go 90 degrees. If you stay at parallel your knees are supporting all of the weight. Once you go past parallel the load shifts from your knees to your hips. If you look at any Olympic squatter they all go down past 90 degrees. I find it much easier to properly squat with some weight on the bar than when I am doing my warmup air squats....

Kay
    Kay is offline Member

I still can't rest in that position but I'm determined to get there. I see a lot of toddlers sitting for long periods in that position.

I figured a couple of things out: I think the muscles at the back of the ankles have to be able to stretch for quite a bit and from a lot of the pictures of people doing the "Asian" squat, you can see there knees extending further out than with a regular squat (sort of a more acute angle between the foot and the lower leg. This probably helps move your center of gravity a little forward so you don't topple over.

Finally, try it with heels. Wearing heels I can squat like that no problem. So am using that to train.

Althaur is offline Senior Member

This is how I rest in my martial arts class. I can stay in it for about 10-15 minutes. I actually find I prefer it now if I'm standing around for a long time. It helps a lot with hip and leg flexibility.

FairyRae2 Guest

[quote]

My ankles don't flex enough to let me get my heels down - is this a common thing?
    </blockquote>

I think it&#39;s quite common in societies that spend most of the time when not standing sitting in chairs. Many cultures spend lots of time in squats, while doing various tasks, and I think it&#39;s a really natural position for our bodies (as a pp mentioned, toddlers do it all the time--mine sure does.) But, if you don&#39;t keep it up, I think you can lose that natural flexibility there. Although some of us just happen to still have it for whatever reason. (Not me--and I am SUPER flexible naturally in almost every other place and have done yoga for years and years--but that is a tight spot on me--I&#39;m still working on moving my heels to the ground...)

dragonmamma is offline Senior Member

Amusing video, Kam. I just loved the over-analysis.

By the way...my son was breech as my due date approached, so my midwife performed a "manual version" which was successful. (Done using ultrasound and muscle relaxers, which didn&#39;t thrill me, but was definitely preferable to having a C-section!)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast