Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Third World Squat page 2

lil_earthmomma is offline Senior Member

kam, go in your kitchen and stand in front of the sink. Put your hands on the rim of the sink and fall into a squat as deeply as possible, letting your belly go between your legs. Hang, using your hands so that you are squatting very deeply and rock your pelvis. This will not only help your baby settle into a good birthing position, it will strengthen your thighs, take the weight off your back and it's a great labor possition.

The more I see the less I know for sure.
    -John Lennon

allie Guest

I find it comfy once I'm down there.

Only problem I have is getting up again. I go slow, but I notice a very subtle cracking sound coming from my kneecaps when I do this. No pain, it's just a little disconcerting I guess.

dragonmamma is offline Senior Member

My third world squat is a source of amusement to the other patrons at the Y while we're waiting for them to open up every morning. The ongoing game is to sneak up behind me and give me a shove from behind or the side to see if I fall over. I don't.

It's a very natural rest position for me.

eva
    eva is offline Senior Member

hmmmm....didnt know there was anything special in that.

thats the only way ive been squatting. at the gym when guys load up huge weights n barely go 90 deg i thought they were just showing off weights.

challenge yourself
    i blog here http://theprimalwoman.blogspot.com/

hannahc is offline Senior Member

Jess it took me a while to get the hang of it. I had to hold on to furniture at first so that my body could learn to balance correctly. It also helps you really sink into your heels, which helps with all of your other squat exercises. I can do squates with whatever weight I choose for the day, and still wiggle my toes when I'm all the way down because I'm solidly balanced on my heels. It makes me want to correct the people I see at the gym rolling completely onto their toes when they squat, but really it's none of my business

You are what you eat,
    and what you eat eats too - Michael Pollan

chima_p is offline Senior Member

If you have long femurs you won't find this squat comfy.

It's also bad form to go below 90 degrees with a loaded back squat. Especially if you have long femurs.

FairyRae2 Guest

I would not recommend doing weight lifting of any sort in this position esp. if your heels don't totally rest on the ground or if this position is not 100% comfortable for you. (My yoga teacher background makes me very nervous a/b folks getting injuries forcing themselves into certain positions--and when you force things it often goes to the joints--your knees could be damaged by doing this...)

Sitting in it is enough IMO...

(I have no background in weight lifting, just fyi, but the thought of someone struggling w/ balance or pain in this pose with extra weight on their back freaks me out!)

hannahc is offline Senior Member

chima and Fairy, I'm talking like 10-15 pound dumbells, not a squat cage (for me at least). And I don't generally go ALL the way down to a sitting position with weights, I only do that without weights. I do go past 90 degrees though, I don't believe there's anything wrong with that when using light weights. 300 pounds in a cage? Maybe you would stop at 90 degrees then, but that's not what most of us are going for here I don't think.

You are what you eat,
    and what you eat eats too - Michael Pollan

worthc is offline Junior Member

It seems I am unusual when it comes to squatting like this. This position has always been my preferred way of "sitting" since I was a little boy. Folks I work with always commit on my being able to get into this squat. (meetings outside) Most men can't do it for some reason. I took one yoga class at my gym. Me and about 20 women. The instructor asked everyone to get into this pose (the squat). I did and she was shocked how well i could do it and that most men have a big problem with it. I am not sure why I can do this with ease and for so long. I guess continuing to do it over the past 30 years has kept everything stretched out.

Katt is offline Senior Member

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

I can get down into the squat, but can't maintain that kind of upright posture. I have to lean forward to keep my balance. I think it must have something to do with the fact that I am "bottom heavy". Pear shaped, in other words. :P

Start weight: 250 - 06/2009
    Current weight: 199
    Goal: 145

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast